PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how good are the Denver Broncos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Concerning our defense, it is fairly inconsistent, but we do have plenty of star players. We've upgraded the secondary with Tracy Porter at CB and Mike Adams at safety since last year, and it helps us that Aaron Hernandez won't be around. Rahim Moore (the other safety) is a liability. Champ is still doing what Champ does...it's true that he lost a step, and gives up some 10-15 yard passes once in a while, but if you watch Denver games you will see that teams still only challenge him maybe 2-3 times a game, and none of the plays are usually game-changing (like big touchdowns over his head, etc). He might not intercept every other pass going his way anymore, but he still is avoided and should be in the discussion of top 5 CBs...and is still one of the best tackling defensive backs in the NFL. Look to see Tracy Porter and Chris Harris' name quite a bit.

Thanks for the write up.

Which DB comes in for Nickel? Has he been any good?

Dumervil and Miller HAVE GOT to be better with pressuring Brady than Mario Williams and Marcel Darius were or this will be another decisive game in favor of NE.

BB on WEEI, just got this question (paraphrasing the question):

"How much have they incorporated what they were doing in Indianapolis?"

His answer?

"Something like 99%."

According to the local media they're terrific now and we'll have our hands full. After we beat them, the same people will tell us the Broncos suck.

Thanks for the write up.

Which DB comes in for Nickel? Has he been any good?

Chris Harris is the nickle corner, and has been very good. Some exposure areas have been the middle of the field, between LB and safeties. Additionally, how we fare against the screen all depends on what Broncos team decides to show up. I expect Brady to find good success in the short to intermediate passes in the middle. Tracy Porter has given up a few deep balls, but has generally been reliable, and had a pick 6 against Pittsburgh that sealed the game. He gets challenged quite a bit though because Bailey is on the other side.

Last edited:
Also this post gave me a headache due to all the "we" and "us".

Sorry :)

I am of course in no way affiliated with the Denver Broncos. Traditional fan way to speak that never goes questioned, I suppose.

Last edited:
Sorry :)

I am of course in no way affiliated with the Denver Broncos. Traditional fan way to speak that never goes questioned, I suppose.

:welcome:

Come in. Look around. Kick the tires. Abuse some deserving posters.

Just be prepared to be pounded on your theories and assertions. We do it to one another, and we do it to visiting fans. We're equal opportunity that way. :D

denver reminds me like the denver team of last year...an okay team..maybe in top 10 or just outside. Manning is good..but still rusty and not on same page as his WRs. I expect brady to come out at home and do what he did last year vs that D in the playoffs...imagine them being 0-2 at home?

Peyton is what he is even if he doesn't have Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark, and unless Rodney Harrison steps out of that tunnel, you can budget yourself 20-27 points scored against. It's that Denver defense that I'm not sure about. Dumervil and Miller are good, but their styles play to the strengths of Solder, and Vollmer is bulletproof when healthy. I'm just struggling to envision the Pats dumping on the Denver D for a third time in a relatively small space. A defense we score 41 away to and 45 at home should not make me worried, but they do.

Peyton is what he is even if he doesn't have Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark, and unless Rodney Harrison steps out of that tunnel, you can budget yourself 20-27 points scored against. It's that Denver defense that I'm not sure about. Dumervil and Miller are good, but their styles play to the strengths of Solder, and Vollmer is bulletproof when healthy. I'm just struggling to envision the Pats dumping on the Denver D for a third time in a relatively small space. A defense we score 41 away to and 45 at home should not make me worried, but they do.

Well, to be fair, it is a completely different defense this time around.

New DC in Jack Del Rio, Von Miller is healthy, and there are 7 new starters. 8 if Mays doesn't reclaim his starting MLB position, though I think he will.

Our starting LE, DT, NT, WOLB, RCB, FS, and SS are all different than the last time the Broncos and Patriots played.

So far, they are doing well, especially against the run. The Pats present another tough test though.

BB on WEEI, just got this question (paraphrasing the question):

"How much have they incorporated what they were doing in Indianapolis?"

His answer? "Something like 99%."

I heard that, too, and for some reason it made me relax. It's like Belichick looked at some game video and said - been there, done that.

My guess is we see lots of stunts and roaming around up front to disguise pressure and really punishing receivers underneath. It was possible for the Patriots to intimidate the Colts receivers when Manning checked down and threw the underneath stuff.

This Patriots linebacking crew has the speed and aggression to really make life miserable for the Broncos receivers. Spikes and Mayo should be licking their chops to lay the wood to Broncos receivers crossing underneath. Do you know if Hightower is able to go? He's perfect for what the Pats usually do to Manning.

New England's talented but inconsistent DBs may be in for a long day, although there is no truly elite outside receiver to worry about on the Broncos.

Belichick was relaxed last evening on WEEI - way more so than last Monday when you could hear crickets after every question and monosyllabic answer. I wish Ordway wasn't so obsequious. He is afraid of Belichick.

Yet another Broncos fan here.

I'm not sure why some of the other guys are downplaying the passrush. Denver has more pressures than all but 2 other teams. Von and Elvis have 50 pressures between them, which is more than 8 entire teams have. That being said, there's no one on the Broncos that can cover a decent TE. Gronk will have a huge day.

I think it will be close, and if I had to guess, I'd say the Pats will take it.

I'm not sure why some of the other guys are downplaying the passrush. Denver has more pressures than all but 2 other teams. Von and Elvis have 50 pressures between them, which is more than 8 entire teams have. That being said, there's no one on the Broncos that can cover a decent TE. Gronk will have a huge day.

Von and Elvis are great, but the Pats problem has always been pressure up the middle (their inability to block Justin Tuck has cost them 2 Super Bowls). They usually handle outside speed rushers very well, and I don't think the Broncos have the studs in the middle to prevent Brady from stepping up and getting comfortable.

The key is health and technique. Vollmer can destroy speed players when his back is feeling good enough for him to play with good technique. If he's hurting, though, he stands up too quickly, and that'll give those speed guys a chance to blow by him. Solder plays better against guys who aren't particularly strong, so he should be ok. . My first thought is that the Patriots will run some test passes to see how Solder and Vollmer handle the speed, and then will adjust the TE help as needed.

Last edited:
Von and Elvis are great, but the Pats problem has always been pressure up the middle (their inability to block Justin Tuck has cost them 2 Super Bowls). They usually handle outside speed rushers very well, and I don't think the Broncos have the studs in the middle to prevent Brady from stepping up and getting comfortable.

I guess it will come down to the Patriots meeting Wolfe for the first time (our 2nd round draft pick last year). How is the health on the tackles that will be blocking Von and Dumerville?

Hi guys! Looking forward to a great game

Just want to add one random thought to the current topics being discussed already - I think one major factor that the Patriots have working in their favor is that Manning won't have a Dallas Clark to create the match-up problems and dictate the coverage as he has in the past

Right now the two TEs on the Broncos are marginal and really back-up caliber, certainly at least in regards to receiving prowess. Tamme is slow off the line and not really able to get any separation from his man - his yards per reception are pretty pathetic, in fact even in 2010 with the Colts he averaged less than 10 Y/R

If memory serves me correctly, the one guy who used to drive the Patriots nuts was always Dallas Clark running down the seam and across the middle of the field. I think what's really stopping Manning from making this team the Denver-Colts is the absence of a play-making / match-up problem creating TE to lean on.

Manning's chemistry with the WRs right now is still a work in progress and not sure if it's a trust factor or a case of them simply not getting open (as was the case against the Texans) but he hasn't tested them deep much.

BTW, what do you guys think we can realistically expect from Koppen? Was his struggles in the pre-season a function of rust or diminished physical ability? I'm surprised you guys cut him rather than keep him even as a backup. He looked good in limited action last week but Wilfork is another animal altogether - bias aside, what do you guys see as the knock on him at this point that he's no longer a Patriot?

Last edited:
Just wanted to say these Broncos fans are as friendly and articulate as any we've had on this board. What a welcome change from Jets, Steelers, Colts, Chargers and Ravens fans.

We humiliated Denver in record-setting fashion last season in what was one of Brady's finest performances.

They now have a quarterback Brady and Belichick have a long history of completely owning and nearly rendered Dan Marino status on.

And he isn't nearly as good anymore.

How dangerous are the Broncos to New England?

Not very.

We humiliated Denver in record-setting fashion last season in what was one of Brady's finest performances.

They now have a quarterback Brady and Belichick have a long history of completely owning and nearly rendered Dan Marino status on.

And he isn't nearly as good anymore.

How dangerous are the Broncos to New England?

Not very.

Brady and Belichick HAD a history of completely owning Manning and the Colts, up until 2005. Since then, every meeting they've had with Peyton has been competitive, and the record between them is about split.

pats need to hit manning..get him rattled..the O will score..secondary needs to hold up however

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents