PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how good are the Denver Broncos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pats don't get pressure on Manning it may be a long safternoon. It seemed like the crossing patterns were killing the Pats

It looks like Dan Koppen will be starting as well as a back up guard who according to Denver fans sucks...so pressure up the middle could be easy to come by as we all know what Koppen's weakness is.

They are a 9-7 team ....enuff said

Will the Broncos file a petition to the NFL to not allow McDaniels to coach and Lloyd to play because it would put the Broncos at a disadvantage.

It's not a very good team. They took advantage of an undermanned Steelers defense, and of a Raiders defense that was missing its top 3 (I think it was 3 and not 2 or 4) cornerbacks.

On the other hand, Manning is smart enough to carve up a secondary that's not playing well, even though his arm is not what it once was, so this game could be a lot closer than it should be.

Last edited:
McGahee might be underrated but I wouldn't want him on my team because he is too fumble prone.

It's basically the same D that got Tebow to the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. They can get to the QB & cover well, and are decent against the run.

McGahee is a pretty underrated RB, as well. Denver is a fairly complete team.

McGahee was a 4.0 ypc running back in Buffalo, Baltimore, and Denver, until Tebow/Manning stepped under center. He's a product of 2 QBs who completely change how a defense approaches the running game.

We did lose our starting center last night to a broken ankle (some think is a blessing in disguise). We have a back up guard starting for Chris Kuper (a team captain). Chris practiced last week but didn't play. He could be back this week which would be huge for us.

I agree with most of the posters who say whoever has the ball last will most likely win.

I'm not entirely sure how to gauge this team yet. The homer bronco fan in me wants to say contender status, but they've only beat the Steelers and Raiders and lost to Falcons and Texans. Both of the losses were close (on the scoreboard) but alot of the points came in the final minutes with no time left.

Their run defense looks much improved. Tracy Porter is a nice addition to the secondary as well. I think we win this with our TEs.

Champ Bailey is no longer being talked about as one of the best CBs in the game today,his age has slowed him down considerably.

There once was a time where Brady had to look everywhere but in Bailey's area to throw the ball....that is no longer a major problem.

It's not a very good team. They took advantage of an undermanned Steelers defense, and of a Raiders defense that was missing its top 3 (I think it was 3 and not 2 or 4) cornerbacks.

On the other hand, Manning is smart enough to carve up a secondary that's not playing well, even though his arm is not what it once was, so this game could be a lot closer than it should be.

I'm not sure what we have with the Broncos this time around. It is a very different looking team than last year.

So far the Patriots defense has seen Jake Locker, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Fitzpatrick (who has regressed if you ask me), and Joe Flacco. Peyton Manning, even at his advanced age, lack of mobility and lack of a deep throwing arm, is better than all four.

They have good backs in McGahey, Hillman and Ball, but the offensive line looks awful with Koppen and a back-up guard offering up the middle against Wilfork and Love. The key for the Broncos offense is to keep Brady off the field and keep it close.

The Broncos have a good defense, especially if Manning can sustain drives and keep them off the field. Last season their offense was such a crock with Tebow at the controls, the defense could hang in there until they were worn out and the floodgates opened.

I agree with you on the outcome - it should be a Patriots' win, but closer than comfortable.

Last edited:
Hi all, Broncos fan here. Look forward to a good matchup with you guys! Maybe I can shed a little light on our team, and a few of the issues/questions that have cropped up in my quick read through the comments here....

-Concerning Peyton Manning, there's very little indication that his arm is a problem anymore. His three interceptions against Atlanta were a consequence of poor reads, not poor throws, and he's made a few impressive deep throws or throws into tight windows. More problematic might be whether he has a solid enough chemistry with his receivers. Thomas and Decker have become one of the better young WR tandems in the NFL, but have flashes of making bonehead plays (dropping wide open catches, fumbling, etc). Brandon Stokley and Jacob Tamme, the old Colt targets, have become the "clutch" options (the guy Manning goes to on, say, 3rd and 5).

- Concerning our defense, it is fairly inconsistent, but we do have plenty of star players. We've upgraded the secondary with Tracy Porter at CB and Mike Adams at safety since last year, and it helps us that Aaron Hernandez won't be around. Rahim Moore (the other safety) is a liability. Champ is still doing what Champ does...it's true that he lost a step, and gives up some 10-15 yard passes once in a while, but if you watch Denver games you will see that teams still only challenge him maybe 2-3 times a game, and none of the plays are usually game-changing (like big touchdowns over his head, etc). He might not intercept every other pass going his way anymore, but he still is avoided and should be in the discussion of top 5 CBs...and is still one of the best tackling defensive backs in the NFL. Look to see Tracy Porter and Chris Harris' name quite a bit.

I suspect Brady will have a very solid stat line against us, particularly with intermediate throws and screens, but it shouldn't be like the blowouts last year...both because the defense is better, but also because we no longer have a joke QB who can't stay on the field.

- Our pass rush is inconsistent, which might seem odd given that we have two pro bowl pass rushers on our squad. Von Miller is a beast, and Elvis Dumervil is very good at getting sacks, but it's been tough getting consistent pressure. We might have the best pass rush in the league when up by a few scores, but that will be tough to do against your team...the first half pressure has been tamed somewhat by quick passes.

- One of the largest problems is our ability to "follow through." There have been a lot of would-be stops on the running back in the backfield, that ended up turning into a 4-5 yard gains. Too many destroying the offense on first and second down, and then giving up a first down on 3rd and 15. Too many "almost sacks" and too many great drives that end in field goals. These things, I suspect, will decide our fate against you guys this week.

Last edited:
they were in the process of being crushed by both the texans and falcons until some late window dressing to make the blowouts look not so bad. they were down 20 in the 4th in both games.

the made some changes to the middle of their defense, but the outsides are still prone to overpursuit, and can't cover TE's.....I don't see anything about the defense that has changed enough to stop the pats from putting 40+ on them the way they did last year.

The game will be dictated by the manner in which the apts execute.....not the manner in which the broncos do.

The only thing here is that Denver has their 2 losses to the only undefeated teams in the NFL Atlanta and Houston who are 8-0 combined.

That means Peyton has carved up the two bad or imperfect record teams thus far,one which was the Steelers.

The Pats having two consecutive home losses for the first time in Gillette history (I believe) seems unlikely at this time

The matchup of expert defense reading Peyton Manning with 4 games of rustoleum now behind him looking at Pats safeties frozen deep worries me. On the plus side he may waste precious WTF! seconds reacting to their coverages.

Hi all, Broncos fan here. Look forward to a good matchup with you guys! Maybe I can shed a little light on our team, and a few of the issues/questions that have cropped up in my quick read through the comments here....

-Concerning Peyton Manning, there's very little indication that his arm is a problem anymore. His three interceptions against Atlanta were a consequence of poor reads, not poor throws, and he's made a few impressive deep throws or throws into tight windows. More problematic might be whether he has a solid enough chemistry with his receivers. Thomas and Decker have become one of the better young WR tandems in the NFL, but have flashes of making bonehead plays (dropping wide open catches, fumbling, etc). Brandon Stokley and Jacob Tamme, the old Colt targets, have become the "clutch" options (the guy Manning goes to on, say, 3rd and 5).

- Concerning our defense, it is fairly inconsistent, but we do have plenty of star players. We've upgraded the secondary with Tracy Porter at CB and Mike Adams at safety since last year, and it helps us that Aaron Hernandez won't be around. Rahim Moore (the other safety) is a liability. Champ is still doing what Champ does...it's true that he lost a step, and gives up some 10-15 yard passes once in a while, but if you watch Denver games you will see that teams still only challenge him maybe 2-3 times a game, and none of the plays are usually game-changing (like big touchdowns over his head, etc). He might not intercept every other pass going his way anymore, but he still is avoided and should be in the discussion of top 5 CBs...and is still one of the best tackling defensive backs in the NFL. Look to see Tracy Porter and Chris Harris' name quite a bit.

I suspect Brady will have a very solid stat line against us, particularly with intermediate throws and screens, but it shouldn't be like the blowouts last year...both because the defense is better, but also because we no longer have a joke QB who can't stay on the field.

- Our pass rush is inconsistent, which might seem odd given that we have two pro bowl pass rushers on our squad. Von Miller is a beast, and Elvis Dumervil is very good at getting sacks, but it's been tough getting consistent pressure. We might have the best pass rush in the league when up by a few scores, but that will be tough to do against your team...the first half pressure has been tamed somewhat by quick passes.

- One of the largest problems is our ability to "follow through." There have been a lot of would-be stops on the running back in the backfield, that ended up turning into a 4-5 yard gains. Too many destroying the offense on first and second down, and then giving up a first down on 3rd and 15. Too many "almost sacks" and too many great drives that end in field goals. These things, I suspect, will decide our fate against you guys this week.

I disagree. Those throws were floaters. Granted they were throws that shouldn't have even been made, but that still doesn't change the fact that his arm strength is very inconsistent. At times Manning will look good with his arm strength, and then at times he will lob these floaters.

Also this post gave me a headache due to all the "we" and "us".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back