PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So How Does it Feel?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oderint, dum metuant. :cool:

Which means: Let them hate us, as long as they fear us. :rocker:

And that may be the first time that Caligula has ever been quoted on this board. Caligula, now there was a guy who didn't care what anybody thought about him and did whatever was necessary to build the empire......

I think it's hilarious. A lot of pettiness. What it comes down to (despite what fans will say) is jealousy. They hate the Patriots because they've achieved more than their teams.

I read the whole thread and loved every bit of it. In fact it seemed like a meeting of Patriots-haters-anonymous :)

The surest sign that you have become a powerhouse in the NFL is universal hatred from the other teams. Winning until people are sick of you doing it!

We have truely arrived!

Why shouldn't the Steelers hate us?

In 2001, they were big favorites at home in the playoffs and LOST.

In 2004, they had the league's best defense and got torched for 41 points and LOST.

Pats are 4-1 against the Steelers since 2001.

Steelers players and fans are the biggest trash talkers (with the possible exception of Broncos fans).

Keep on talking; keep on hating.

I think we've hit 11 on the Hate O Meter. Monday will be savory if and when we beat the Steelers. ( I'm supersticious,I don't want to jinx us and say after we beat the Steelers) But just imagine the national let down, it will/would be awsome. :rocker:

I have this theory:

People like to root against winners, obviously, but for such a long time, the Patriots were viewed as a model franchise in the NFL. Hard-working, humble, putting the team above the individual and all that. And because of that it was hard for people to rationalize hating the Patriots, even though they wanted to.

Then Ladainian Tomlinson had his whole "classless" spiel after the playoff game last year, and that was the beginning on the Patriots hating (outside of the usual Colts, Steelers, Jets fans, etc.).

Then when Spygate broke, it unleashed the flood of hate that had been welling up inside people for so long, just waiting for an excuse to come out.

I personally don't like it. I liked when the Patriots were viewed as the model team. And I find it absolutely ridiculous when Seahawks fans, or Cardinals fans have this hate for the Patriots... It's totally unfounded. They are the same team they always were, character-wise. Now, if Colts fans, for instance, have a dislike for the Patriots, I can understand that because of the rivalry. But the distaste for the Pats around the league saddens me a bit.

I have this theory:

People like to root against winners, obviously, but for such a long time, the Patriots were viewed as a model franchise in the NFL. Hard-working, humble, putting the team above the individual and all that. And because of that it was hard for people to rationalize hating the Patriots, even though they wanted to.

Then Ladainian Tomlinson had his whole "classless" spiel after the playoff game last year, and that was the beginning on the Patriots hating (outside of the usual Colts, Steelers, Jets fans, etc.).

Then when Spygate broke, it unleashed the flood of hate that had been welling up inside people for so long, just waiting for an excuse to come out.

I personally don't like it. I liked when the Patriots were viewed as the model team. And I find it absolutely ridiculous when Seahawks fans, or Cardinals fans have this hate for the Patriots... It's totally unfounded. They are the same team they always were, character-wise. Now, if Colts fans, for instance, have a dislike for the Patriots, I can understand that because of the rivalry. But the distaste for the Pats around the league saddens me a bit.

S-crew all those mf'rs. The more they hate us, the more I enjoy our success and all these other fans writhing in pain after we win another one and inch closer to undefeated season.

Why shouldn't the Steelers hate us?

In 2001, they were big favorites at home in the playoffs and LOST.

In 2004, they had the league's best defense and got torched for 41 points and LOST.

Pats are 4-1 against the Steelers since 2001.

Steelers players and fans are the biggest trash talkers (with the possible exception of Broncos fans).

Keep on talking; keep on hating.

Not even close! The Ravens take that hands down and have owned that for years now!

Labelling Pats-hate as jealousy (envy is the correct word by the way) is plain delusional. Most everyone outside NE, including the media, wants the Pats to lose and it's not simply because they are winning.

The 70s Steelers & Cowboys, the 80s Niners, the 90s Bulls were also perennial winners and they GREW their fan base into a nationwide following, appealing themselves to fans of other teams (myself included). This phenomenon hasn't happened at all with this decade's Pats. Yet it has happened with the Red Sox.

There are teams people just love to hate. Face it, yours is one of them.

The Red Sox are NOT comparable to the Patriots yet. The Red Sox, prior to '04 and '07, were the underdogs who kept finding ways to lose. We had the curse of the Bambino. People felt bad for us.

People hate the Yankees because they are the greatest dynasty ever. You'll notice that more and more people are starting to hate the Red Sox because they are becoming a dynasty. They don't want the same team to keep winning.

Its that way it's always been. People don't like teams that ALWAYS win (other than their fans of course).

Labelling Pats-hate as jealousy (envy is the correct word by the way) is plain delusional. Most everyone outside NE, including the media, wants the Pats to lose and it's not simply because they are winning.

The 70s Steelers & Cowboys, the 80s Niners, the 90s Bulls were also perennial winners and they GREW their fan base into a nationwide following, appealing themselves to fans of other teams (myself included). This phenomenon hasn't happened at all with this decade's Pats. Yet it has happened with the Red Sox.

And your point?? Why does everyone get so hung up on whether teams are liked or not, what bearing does it have on anything?? Winning IS everything in professional sports. It's like saying well the Dolphins are 0-12, but everyone loves them....there is no logic other to make yourself feel better about your team...

..to be universally reviled and hated. Here's a thread from one of the Steelers Sh*T pits that will clue you in.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=21934

As for me? It kinda pisses me off. But actually I was getting kinda soft what with all the respectful Steelers fans posting here. Time to get back to reality.

Everyone hates us and that's just dandy by me...

I only read a bit of that thread but, I think this guy summed it up best. "Everyone I talk to in Cheeseland is rooting for Pittsburgh, but picking New England in the football pools at work."

Sorry, 'bert, but jealousy is the correct word. And you're delusional if you think that isn't why people dislike the Patriots. Cowboys teams and fans were loved in the '90s (an apostrophe is correct when abbreviating decades, by the way)? I'm sorry, but I don't remember this.

Why do you think the media wants to see the Patriots lose? Why do you think that this? Would it have anything to do with Bill Belichick displaying a very open contempt for the vast majority of sports media? Do you know why Belichick has little respect for the media? I doubt you do.

"There are teams people just love to hate. Face it, yours is one of them." Thanks for adding this wonderfully insightful bit of information. Really got down to the nitty gritty and answered why people "hate" the Patriots. :bricks:

I wrote a post on that thread in the Ravens forum, refuting their crazy claims and rants (in a respectful way) and they deleted it. What a bunch of immature kids.

Some of this is due to Belichick's reputation, some is due to the lack of superstars. The teams you mentioned had much more star power, and star power drives merchandise sales.

Even so, to say it hasn't happened "at all" is simply wrong. The Pats have been very close to the top of national merchandise sales for a while now, and what jerseys people choose to buy says a lot about their following.

As a completely anecdotal note -- I like foreign subtitled films, and I almost fell off my seat when one I watched which, was made in Mexico in 2004, had a main character whose jacket had a big flying Elvis Patriots logo on the back!

People/fans hate people that have more than they do. I guess you can call that jealousy or "player hating". I'll say that the one thing most of my friends, a few Raiders fans and a couple Charger fans, just want the Patriots to lose because of all the hype they are getting in the press. I would hate it too if I wasn't a Patriots fan and turned on sports radio or the sports channel and was force fed Patriots football. Since the first game this season, ESPN has filled their time with Patriots news.

And what does it mean to be the "best team"? Well, for a Green Bay Packer fan, it means that all of their historic teams aren't. It means that the Steelers aren't. I might just mean the 72 Dolphins aren't or the Cowboys of the 90s or 9ers of the 80s.

And if Brady is the best QB, than does that piss of Elway loyalist who think he is the best? Or Montana loyalists? Peyton Manning fans?

There is a lot that other fans could be offended by the Patriots winning and getting a ton of attention day in and day out.

And no, the Patriots don't have "stars" in the classic sense. There is no Emmitt Smith, but a Heath Evans, Kevin Faulk and Maroney. The Pats have Asante Samuel, not Deion Sanders. Instead of Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice, they have Randy Moss and all his bad press. There is no Lawrence Taylor on this team. Brady doesn't have a ton of "Peyton" like commercials. Welker isn't coming out the tunnel with a HOF jacket on.

Teams like the Eagles, Chargers and Colts have filled up the Pro Bowl line ups. And the Pats have yet to make big news with a ton of Pro Bowlers. Maybe because they just don't have the fans or because they play a team sport and play it well enough to win consistantly.

If anything, I think this team is a breathe of fresh air. As much as I like Chad Johnson, you don't see any player acting like he is bigger than the team. You won't see any TO drama in this camp. Pats very rarely get into legal problems. To me, they are the blue collar team that people generally respect. If other fans were more mature, they would stop with all the conspiracy theories and/or childish hatred and just respect what the Pats are doing it and how they are doing it.

People/fans hate people that have more than they do. I guess you can call that jealousy or "player hating". I'll say that the one thing most of my friends, a few Raiders fans and a couple Charger fans, just want the Patriots to lose because of all the hype they are getting in the press. I would hate it too if I wasn't a Patriots fan and turned on sports radio or the sports channel and was force fed Patriots football. Since the first game this season, ESPN has filled their time with Patriots news.

And what does it mean to be the "best team"? Well, for a Green Bay Packer fan, it means that all of their historic teams aren't. It means that the Steelers aren't. I might just mean the 72 Dolphins aren't or the Cowboys of the 90s or 9ers of the 80s.

And if Brady is the best QB, than does that piss of Elway loyalist who think he is the best? Or Montana loyalists? Peyton Manning fans?

There is a lot that other fans could be offended by the Patriots winning and getting a ton of attention day in and day out.

And no, the Patriots don't have "stars" in the classic sense. There is no Emmitt Smith, but a Heath Evans, Kevin Faulk and Maroney. The Pats have Asante Samuel, not Deion Sanders. Instead of Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice, they have Randy Moss and all his bad press. There is no Lawrence Taylor on this team. Brady doesn't have a ton of "Peyton" like commercials. Welker isn't coming out the tunnel with a HOF jacket on.

Teams like the Eagles, Chargers and Colts have filled up the Pro Bowl line ups. And the Pats have yet to make big news with a ton of Pro Bowlers. Maybe because they just don't have the fans or because they play a team sport and play it well enough to win consistantly.

If anything, I think this team is a breathe of fresh air. As much as I like Chad Johnson, you don't see any player acting like he is bigger than the team. You won't see any TO drama in this camp. Pats very rarely get into legal problems. To me, they are the blue collar team that people generally respect. If other fans were more mature, they would stop with all the conspiracy theories and/or childish hatred and just respect what the Pats are doing it and how they are doing it.

Good post, but in reality the whole "wholesome Patriots Team" stuff was a function of the media and now the opposite is happening, watch any show about the NFL and the Pats are either subtly or overtly demonized by the announcers.. in reality good, fuzzy news does not sell and the demographics of the NFL would indicate that by making the Pats "bad" or "cheaters" draws viewers and feeds the fire. For us who have been long term Pats fans and suffered through most of the 70-'s, 80's and 90's still hate the sight of Dolphins or Jets Colors.. Buffalo is tolerable, because they did not have as much impact on us. Personally do not like most Jets or Dolphins fans in their sucky shades of green.

The trend of "hating and bashing" the Pats is as much a function of modern media as it is something that the Pats are doing or have done. Unfortunately, bad news sells, no one likes a winner and conspiracy theories attract viewers.

When there's hate it means you've been good for a long time. How many people hate the Arizona Cardinals? See what I mean?

You should revil in the hate. Football is a smashmouth, gladitorial, bash your head sport. If your truly saddened that most of the country isn't pulling for us, you should reach into the front of your pants to see if anything's there. No offense to the female fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back