PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So exactly WHEN did it become illegal to tape from sidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I'll try to answer

From the NFL Game Day Operations Manual states:

1. Page 105 of the Game Operations manual: "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." It later says: "All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

By the way - it's not a rule book but a manual. It also covers things like the number of footballs the home team has to provide and appropriate clothing to be worn. It seems like after several complaints from teams about opponents taping (perhaps Green Bay about the Pats) a "clarifying" memo was sent out:

A memo from Ray Anderson, NFL head of football operations, to head coaches and GMs on Sept. 6, 2006 said: "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Now a confusing this for me is, a team is allowed to film the game from various points in the stands if it has the other teams permission. This was the jets issue from a couple years ago. They were caught filming, claimed they had permission but the Pats disputed that. So, the "rule" is rather fungible in how it is applied.

At the end of the day this is not about rules or memos but a lazy and overzealous media feeding on the passions and ignorance of sports fans around the country and made worse by incompetent Commissioner. It was then co-opted by a head-line seeking politician.

Thanks for the citations. That will come in handy in educating the media and other team fans.

So, pre-2006 clairifcations, taping signal calling or anything else from the sidelines was only prohibited if was to be used for game day activities.

The same sentiment is a holdover in the current rules, 'citing locations accessible to club members"

Post 2006 it was clear that for ANY purposes, taping on the field was prohibited.

Yet even today, if you read the "manual" carefully video taping offensive and defensive calls are STILL ALLOWED as long as the taping location is not accessible to the team (i.e. - it can be used for post-game analysis - just as Belichick always did, and one assumes, still does).

That's very significant in my opinion - as the current rule is still focused on the LOCATION of the taping - and allows and condones taping of signal calling - as long as it's in the appropriate location.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can bet tom when you read papers like the NY Daily news, and other papers , it will call for the end of Belichick and more punishment, because of offensive signals taped.. It makes no difference, and again if any more punishment is enforced and depending on what it is, I might be done as a fan of the nfl...

If anyone is an ESPN "insider" I'd love to see what John Clayton has to say about signal stealing PRE Spygate when the Dolphins were caught using tape of Brady's offensive calls

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

"The incident spawned considerable attention on Tuesday after some Dolphins players suggested to the Palm Beach (Fla.) Post that the team "purchased" tapes of the New England offense that provided audio of quarterback Tom Brady making audible and line-blocking calls.

Those players strongly hinted that the tapes were critical in preparing for the game and provided the Dolphins inside information about New England's offensive audible system.

"I've never seen [Brady] so flustered," middle linebacker Zach Thomas said.

The league's response? Pretty much a stifled yawn, since there is no rule prohibiting such film study.

"Reaction around the league office was, 'That's football,' " AFC spokesman Steve Alic said."

See the Clayton sidebar:

"Teams are always trying to steal signs and signals off other teams. That's just football.
• For more of John Clayton's analysis, click here. "

Last edited by a moderator:
You can bet tom when you read papers like the NY Daily news, and other papers , it will call for the end of Belichick and more punishment, because of offensive signals taped.. It makes no difference, and again if any more punishment is enforced and depending on what it is, I might be done as a fan of the nfl...

It has become like NASCAR. I used to want good plays.

Now I root for crashes. No, not hits. I mean guys running off the field and breaking a coaches legs. I might be the only guy saddened by Dungy's retirement.:) (I'd pay to see an out of control Bob Sanders whack him. His son is calling.:))

If anyone is an ESPN "insider" I'd love to see what John Clayton has to say about signal stealing PRE Spygate when the Dolphins were caught using tape of Brady's offensive calls

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2696227

See the Clayton sidebar:

"Teams are always trying to steal signs and signals off other teams. That's just football.
• For more of John Clayton's analysis, click here. "

Without convening a congressional hearing or hiring an independent counsel to investigate the incident, the NFL has ruled that the Miami Dolphins violated no league rules in the Tapegate affair associated with the team's 21-0 victory over the New England Patriots last Sunday.

Quick Hits

Teams are always trying to steal signs and signals off other teams. That's just football.
• For more of John Clayton's analysis, click here.

The incident spawned considerable attention on Tuesday after some Dolphins players suggested to the Palm Beach (Fla.) Post that the team "purchased" tapes of the New England offense that provided audio of quarterback Tom Brady making audible and line-blocking calls.

Those players strongly hinted that the tapes were critical in preparing for the game and provided the Dolphins inside information about New England's offensive audible system.

"I've never seen [Brady] so flustered," middle linebacker Zach Thomas said.

The league's response? Pretty much a stifled yawn, since there is no rule prohibiting such film study.

"Reaction around the league office was, 'That's football,' " AFC spokesman Steve Alic said.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick, speaking Wednesday at his news conference, doubted that Miami gained an advantage.

"I stand out on that field every day, as do our defensive players -- who are pretty smart players -- and I don't see it," Belichick said. "If I can't pick it up and our players can't pick it up, with what we know and the opportunity to see and work against each other, I have a hard time thinking somebody else [could]."

Even with the contentions of the Miami defenders, there remains uncertainty over just what measures the Dolphins took in their surveillance of the New England offense. While players said the team "purchased" the tape, coach Nick Saban said his club simply watched TV replays of Brady in an attempt to decipher the calls.

One Miami defender said it is common practice to take a TV tape of a game and enhance the volume to try to hear the quarterback's signals. The so-called "coaching" tapes supplied by the league to teams do not include audio. Television tapes often capture a quarterback's calls at the line of scrimmage because of the parabolic microphones used on the sideline.

Despite the attention garnered by the story, most league observers dismissed the importance of whatever the Dolphins did and chose to attribute the shutout victory to superior execution.

The Dolphins limited the Patriots to 12 first downs and 189 yards and held Brady to 78 passing yards and a passer rating of 55.1 while sacking him four times.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Is that it? The archive for Claytion only go back to April 2007. That was 12/06. Better luck digging here. ESPN has been hiding crap. (OK, conspiracy theory there, but throwing crap at ESPN feels so good.)

Last edited:
Re: I'll try to answer

Man.... when I think about it this way... we royally got ****ed in the ass.

You are just now figuring that out? :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft