PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Smith-Schuster Incentives Revealed

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
He's got two significant bonuses if he hits 950+ yards on the season:

Smith-Schuster’s new deal recently came under the microscope by the 33rd Team’s Ari Meirov, who revealed the incentives for multiple NFL contracts. It’s all about the receiving yard totals for the former Pro Bowl receiver, who could earn upwards of $1.5 million in incentives with the Patriots in 2023.
  • 950 or more yards receiving – $750,000
  • 1,100 or more yards receiving – $750,000

Some cool comments from Mac last week on Smith-Schuster, and the two seem to have a good relationship so far, which is obviously good news:

Q: Mac, have you thrown much to JuJu [Smith-Schuster] yet?

MJ: Yeah, I think JuJu's done a great job, also from a leadership standpoint. Coming in, that's someone who adds veteran leadership from different places. He just came off of a Super Bowl team, so what a great value to our offense. Obviously, when he gets on the field, that's going to be great because he has the experience and he loves talking about football.

He's just a football nerd, I guess, kind of like me. We kind of hit it off in that regard. He's an awesome guy, and I'm looking forward to working with all those guys in that room. I think there's a lot of potential there.

Damn, I laughed at first when Mac said Juju brought value to the offense because he's a SB winner. Then I realized we really don't have any SB winners on offense other than Andrews and Brown.

Crazy how rosters churn so completely in just a few years.

Some cool comments from Mac last week on Smith-Schuster, and the two seem to have a good relationship so far, which is obviously good news:

Q: Mac, have you thrown much to JuJu [Smith-Schuster] yet?

MJ: Yeah, I think JuJu's done a great job, also from a leadership standpoint. Coming in, that's someone who adds veteran leadership from different places. He just came off of a Super Bowl team, so what a great value to our offense. Obviously, when he gets on the field, that's going to be great because he has the experience and he loves talking about football.

He's just a football nerd, I guess, kind of like me. We kind of hit it off in that regard. He's an awesome guy, and I'm looking forward to working with all those guys in that room. I think there's a lot of potential there.

Words.

Let's hope that JuJu's as tough as Meyers was here... For all his other faults (lack of deep speed/YAC), he caught passes under most conditions... That's what a Real safety blanket has to do; and I'm not saying that JuJu can't, just that we already knew that Meyers could...

To reach those numbers JuJu is going to need over 100 targets.

I do not see how that happens. Everyone can agree that Bourne needs way more targets than last season. Thornton was well if were going to see if he is anything. Boutee, Gesicki and Montgomery all will need targets.

Words.

Let's hope that JuJu's as tough as Meyers was here... For all his other faults (lack of deep speed/YAC), he caught passes under most conditions... That's what a Real safety blanket has to do; and I'm not saying that JuJu can't, just that we already knew that Meyers could...

This was always the gamble with him over Meyers. I think JuJu has more raw talent and athleticism, but Meyers was a known commodity. So for the same price, if JuJu works out as hoped, it's a good swap. But until we see it happen, it's a Lower Floor - Higher Ceiling type of play.

Words.

We know JuJu can too, he’s been a productive receiver in the league for 2 different teams, including last years SB champs

We know JuJu can too, he’s been a productive receiver in the league for 2 different teams, including last years SB champs

True; but he had help in Pitt & KC that he might not be receiving here...

Words.

Juju has proved it with more than 1 QB and he got injured at the height of his ascension as a young NFL WR.. he was the best WR for KC last season, and was excellent with the Steelers.. I loved Myers and what be became for us.. we'll never really know why Myers left. However he's in a great place to succeed! I'm happy with Juju, he's a YAC machine and is ultra physical.

True; but he had help in Pitt & KC that he might not be receiving here...
He had two legendary QBs throwing to him, and when kecle was doubled he was the guy making plays. Juju is just what Mac and the offense needs. It's nice to catch balls but what can you do after the catch... that is the element Juju brings.

Damn, I laughed at first when Mac said Juju brought value to the offense because he's a SB winner. Then I realized we really don't have any SB winners on offense other than Andrews and Brown.

I think we can all collectively say.. the expectation is that we will be much, much better offensively this season.. I'm trying not to get caught up in the W/L I am a big fan of the eye test... how do we look on offense.. did we convert on 3rd down, did we score in the red zone.. those factors right there will be the tale of how we end up being on offense. I agree with your posts.. NFL not for long!

Juju can only make us better!

There’s gotta be a couple guys from 2018 left, right? Trying to think of more.

David Andrews, Matt Slater, Lawrence Guy, Jonathan Jones, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Joe Cardona are all the guys I can think of

There’s gotta be a couple guys from 2018 left, right? Trying to think of more.

David Andrews, Matt Slater, Lawrence Guy, Jonathan Jones, Ja’Whaun Bentley, Joe Cardona are all the guys I can think of
D. Wise is the only other player! Wow talk about turnover in a 4 year span.. that's amazing that there aren't even 10-15 guys on the team left from the last championship!

that is actually more than I thought. Deatrich Wise? Was Trent Brown on that team?

that is actually more than I thought. Deatrich Wise? Was Trent Brown on that team?
Yes they both were. That was the year brown was pro bowl left tackle and got the raiders contract in the off-season.

Words.

We don't need JuJu to be a "safety blanket". We need JONES to be comfortable throwing to the OPEN MAN as his "safety blanket". And there WILL be open men pretty consistently. Particularly if you throw Henry, Gesicki, Stevenson, JuJu and either Bourne, Parker, or Thornton on the field.

D. Wise is the only other player! Wow talk about turnover in a 4 year span.. that's amazing that there aren't even 10-15 guys on the team left from the last championship!

Players on the 2023 Pats roster who were on the 2018 SB Team:

Offense:
D. Andrews
T. Brown
J. Ferentz

Defense:
J. Bentley
D. Wise
L. Guy
J. Jones

ST:
Cardona
Slater

Offense:
D. Andrews
T. Brown
J. Ferentz

Defense:
J. Bentley
D. Wise
L. Guy
J. Jones

ST:
Cardona
Slater
Great info, thanks

Offense:
D. Andrews
T. Brown
J. Ferentz

Defense:
J. Bentley
D. Wise
L. Guy
J. Jones

ST:
Cardona
Slater
Is J now the initial used for “ThanksDad” ?

asking for a friend…

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back