PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Skip Bayless Tweet - Goodell Railroaded Tom Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, it would be epic. But unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the judge has absolutely no authority to do a thing wrt the team punishments. :(

I'll settle for the judge saying loud and clear the team punishments should be vacated. Extra points, many extra points, if he recommends that a U.S. attorney look into the actions of the NFL head offices. That would get some butts puckering. :D
I think the dream scenario for Patriots fans is the judge writes a scathing review of the NFL's process and conclusions from start to finish. I agree he has no authority to vacate the team punishments. All he can really do is get the ball rolling (or if we say the ball is already rolling, help it pick up momentum) in the court of public opinion that this has been a sting and a frame-up from the beginning.

Smith is taking the position that goodell has the right and power to punish at his own pleasure according to cba.

he is reflecting the view of the NFL front office, given his ties to NFL execs. this is essentially what their legal argument is.

he is reflecting the view of the NFL front office, given his ties to NFL execs. this is essentially what their legal argument is.
Even if the CBA were written that way ( and that is in dispute) there is an expectation that he would act in "good faith" without bias or prejudice. The CBA specifies a process for discipline and part of due process is notice. You don't pull someone over for speeding is there are no signs that it is 25 mph and they were doing 40....Even if you did, giving them 6 months in jail is disproportionate to the alleged offense which is similar here to the way Brady was punished, without notice and way out of line with previous offenses, especially for no offense at all......

Kinda telling when the best defense of the NBA [ed. NFL?] is "sure; they're arbitrary, draconian, fraudulent and utterly senseless in their punishment, but they have a right to be!"

I read the NFL's filing and the NFLPA's filing.

The NFL's position appears to be exactly that - when Roger Goodell declares that he is acting in the best interest of the game, he can do whatever he wants.

The NFLPA's position is that there are a number of explicit (CBA) and implicit (Law of the Shop) agreements that Goodell is not allowed to ignore but must follow. And, oh yeah, the courts have consistently held this to be true in the past.

I don't understand why so many lawyers think that this will be a tough fight. You can't read the NFLPA's motion and not be extremely impressed. The NFL motion didn't address ANY of the relevant points that the NFLPA brought up. The courts have consistently ruled that a process at least similar to what the NFLPA expects should be followed. So what specific legal grounds does the NFL have for ignoring the process this time? They didn't present any such grounds that weren't shot down in the past.

Time will tell. I remain (as a non-lawyer) very confident.

Wtf is with all this renewed Bayless love. Great what he's doing, but he had a lot to make up for with the way he handled this all in the beginning.

I don't love bayless but the op tweet is now at 3100 fav's and retweets

I'm no lawyer but too many ppl get hung up on cba and forget there's labor law.
Cba isn't everything

Guess an endorsement from the National Enquirer would have value

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand