PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sally Jenkins Eviscerates Goodell in Washington Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brothers Bulger is a great book. Highly suggest it.
Yeah that's another one on my reading list lol. Very strange dynamic with those two. But blood is thick

Yeah that's another one on my reading list lol. Very strange dynamic with those two. But blood is thick

I think it would have made a better movie than Black Mass.

John was no saint either....

Goodell is a slug ... what does he care.

I think it would have made a better movie than Black Mass.

John was no saint either....
Haven't seen black mass either.wasn't intentionally avoiding it jusy don't go to the movies much. And you're right he wasnt a saint. One thing about gangsters- its easy to see how victims and victims families suffered- what people dont talk about is what happens to some of the gangsters families- many of their lives get ruined. I know what it did to the son of one of bulgers hitmen, as well as some his victims.

He wears it as a badge of honor that so many of the local athletes don't like him. All it really means is that he's just an *******.

In a tone deaf move, he recently compared the negative feedback he gets from players and coaches to the harassment female media members face/have faced. I think he also said the "CHB" nickname bothers him.

What Shaughnessy doesn't get is that players and coaches dislike him because he's been a jerk to them or their friends. It's not like someone decided to belittle him just because of his gender.

IMO Brady lost in the court of public opinion. Pretty much 99% of non-pats fans think he's a cheater.
I've seen plenty of non-pats fans side with Brady. It's only the haters, which constitute less than 50% of the NFL fans, that still claim he's a cheater..

That being said, the best ones are the ones who sit there and claim science can't explain how the footballs were deflated.. Despite you showing them the Amicus Curiae brief from the numerous professors..

He still has enough owners in his pocket because he gave them the petty revenge they wanted. I don't see him losing his job of 50M (or so) paycheck and he's deluded enough to feel the public still loves him. I'm sure he buys his own BS.

The part about the players standing firm and wanting nothing to do with him at the next CBA is cute. If they get him fired I can only imagine what else it will cost them in the negotiations. They would have to give into the 18 game schedule, 5% of revenue sharing and who knows what else to get that done.

Goodell made 34-36M last year. Not 50M. 50M is his severance if they fire him before his contract is up.

If you think that getting Goodell fired is going to cost them that, then there is no hope for you..

Haven't seen black mass either.wasn't intentionally avoiding it jusy don't go to the movies much. And you're right he wasnt a saint. One thing about gangsters- its easy to see how victims and victims families suffered- what people dont talk about is what happens to some of the gangsters families- many of their lives get ruined. I know what it did to the son of one of bulgers hitmen, as well as some his victims.
I found Black Mass pretty riveting. I never go to the movies any more, either. I DVRed it off HBO. I agree that any complimentary portrayal of Bulger, or any other criminal real or fictitious, is just wrong. After watching Black Mass and Depp as Bulger, I found myself having absolutely no sympathy for Katherine Grieg, his girlfriend. She knew exactly what type of monster he was.

I went into Black Mass expecting the sympathetic portrayal of Bulger but didn't see evidence of it. I know Depp said he was trying to humanize him but he still came across as a complete psychopath.

That being said, the best ones are the ones who sit there and claim science can't explain how the footballs were deflated.. Despite you showing them the Amicus Curiae brief from the numerous professors..

Ahh like almost every single member of the Colts forum lol

Go read it for a laugh.. their stance is that anyone who think's Brady didn't do it is an idiot.. and then reference people who talk that "science talk" as just using smoke and mirrors..

Its so wild down there in Indiana

Go read it for a laugh.. their stance is that anyone who think's Brady didn't do it is an idiot.. and then reference people who talk that "science talk" as just using smoke and mirrors..

All the fathers and mothers are brothers and sisters...they're inbred freakin' hillbillies...

I went into Black Mass expecting the sympathetic portrayal of Bulger but didn't see evidence of it. I know Depp said he was trying to humanize him but he still came across as a complete psychopath.
The scene with Connolly's wife at the bedroom door was absolutely chilling...what a scuzzbag creep.

IMO Brady lost in the court of public opinion. Pretty much 99% of non-pats fans think he's a cheater.

Unfortunately I can confirm. I wore my Brady jersey to a PT place this morning and a conversation ensued with vacuous desk staff about how the Patriots are cheaters.

I asked the young lady in question what she's heard about the ideal gas law. She answered "The what? The ideal gas law?" I just laughed, and she started getting mad, pointing, and saying "cheaters cheaters cheaters!" All - theoretically - in jest.

So I closed it off with "Hate us cus you ain't us," as one concludes such interactions.

Realized when I left I should have said "Talk to the nerve glide." (There's a nerve glide exercise perfect for a "talk to the hand" motion. This is assuming that she's at least seen the term, and is not purely a scheduling assistant.) Now I'm gonna wear a different piece of Pats gear every time I go there, b/c I just have to use that.

Unfortunately I can confirm. I wore my Brady jersey to a PT place this morning and a conversation ensued with vacuous desk staff about how the Patriots are cheaters.

I asked the young lady in question what she's heard about the ideal gas law. She answered "The what? The ideal gas law?" I just laughed, and she started getting mad, pointing, and saying "cheaters cheaters cheaters!" All - theoretically - in jest.

So I closed it off with "Hate us cus you ain't us," as one concludes such interactions.

Realized when I left I should have said "Talk to the nerve glide." (There's a nerve glide exercise perfect for a "talk to the hand" motion. This is assuming that she's at least seen the term, and is not purely a scheduling assistant.) Now I'm gonna wear a different piece of Pats gear every time I go there, b/c I just have to use that.

I gave up fighting the masses with logic years ago.

Here is my recipe for winning the argument. I've been pretty successful with it.

1. Robertweathers has on BB hoodie in Walgreens
2. Idiot cashier calls the Pats cheaters
3. I respond, "what team do you root for?"
4. Idiot says any of the 31 teams but Cards was the answer (2015...)
5. I respond, " Ha. Your team is mediocre. You know damn well if your team won 4 SBs and hasn't had a losing record since 2000 you'd be happy as hell and really wouldn't care like me even if they did cheat. In 30 years no one will give a ****. People will remember how much the Pats kicked everyones ass. "
6. Fan rambles on.
7. I say "Gotta go. Good luck next year. You'll need it.

I have no issue being an arrogant prick with morons like that. Screw em.

In reading the responses to Sally Jenkins' articles over the past year, one recurring theme of her critics is that she was one of Lance Armstrong's biggest supporters, writing 2 books about him. I haven't read the books and don't know much about her interactions with Armstrong, but, prior to his downfall, I don't remember many in the media who were critical of Armstrong. He was very popular and the LiveStrong campaign was everywhere.

What her critics are missing is that, in this scenario, it's not Armstrong=Brady, it's Armstrong=Goodell. Jenkins has been going against the prevailing opinion with this story and has been exposing the NFL's dishonesty. It's the anti-Brady crowd who have accepted a bunch of lies and will, at some point, realize they've been duped.

I wouldn't hold my breath, Koma.

Until/Unless goodell goes, and possibly even then, that's just what other fans are going to say about this run to feel better about their sorry-ass selves.

I gave up fighting the masses with logic years ago.

Here is my recipe for winning the argument. I've been pretty successful with it.

1. Robertweathers has on BB hoodie in Walgreens
2. Idiot cashier calls the Pats cheaters
3. I respond, "what team do you root for?"
4. Idiot says any of the 31 teams but Cards was the answer (2015...)
5. I respond, " Ha. Your team is mediocre. You know damn well if your team won 4 SBs and hasn't had a losing record since 2000 you'd be happy as hell and really wouldn't care like me even if they did cheat. In 30 years no one will give a ****. People will remember how much the Pats kicked everyones ass. "
6. Fan rambles on.
7. I say "Gotta go. Good luck next year. You'll need it.

I have no issue being an arrogant prick with morons like that. Screw em.

So agree. Whenever I wear Pats paraphernalia at work, the one thing people love to say to me is this recurring myth that Vinatieri won 3 Super Bowls for the Patriots. I tell them that in Super Bowl XXXIX, his field goal in the fourth quarter gave the Patriots a 10-point lead — in other words, a TWO-POSSESSION lead — with 8:40 remaining on the clock. The Eagles finally scored a let’s-make-it-look-closer-than-it-really-was TD with 1:48 left to close the final margin to 3 (and piss off all the bettors who had the Pats -7). You want to give Vinatieri credit for the field goal that eventually gave the Pats their margin of victory? Fine. You want to say he "won" the other two? I'll even give you that (even though they had to drive their way there; that's what Brady's for, hello?) But this notion that he won that Super Bowl is embarrassingly inaccurate.

To be fair, they have plenty of practice suspending reality if they stand behind their owner. Unless they party with him, in that case they may not know when reality starts or stops.

So agree. Whenever I wear Pats paraphernalia at work, the one thing people love to say to me is this recurring myth that Vinatieri won 3 Super Bowls for the Patriots. I tell them that in Super Bowl XXXIX, his field goal in the fourth quarter gave the Patriots a 10-point lead — in other words, a TWO-POSSESSION lead — with 8:40 remaining on the clock. The Eagles finally scored a let’s-make-it-look-closer-than-it-really-was TD with 1:48 left to close the final margin to 3 (and piss off all the bettors who had the Pats -7). You want to give Vinatieri credit for the field goal that eventually gave the Pats their margin of victory? Fine. You want to say he "won" the other two? I'll even give you that (even though they had to drive their way there; that's what Brady's for, hello?) But this notion that he won that Super Bowl is embarrassingly inaccurate.
Just another jerk who needs to marginalize the Pats accomplishments.

Next time someone says that, be sure to point out that Vinatieri was 1 for 3 in Super Bowl 38 (against Carolina), missing chip shots from 36 & 31 yards. If he had hit those, the Patriots wouldn't even have needed that last one. They could have just run out the clock. Technically, his misses almost lost the game. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes