PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sit the starters this week and play them against Miami

Status
Not open for further replies.
The patriots have a clear policy in this regard. Play hard and risk injury until the HFA is secured. If someone is injured or further injured (and could have used the rest), then we were simply unlucky, and this was meant to be. That's the way it is.

If you don't recall risking players in this situation, then that's good. It's good to forget going into the playoffs with playoffs who could have been much more healthy if they sat out a half or two or three or four.

There are lots of players that need another week or two of rest: Hightower, Chung, McCourty, Amendola and Edelman stand out.

I'm NOT suggesting sitting the starters for Game 16. That is possible decision for Game 17. IMHO, we should sit the INJURED and play to win with our healthy players.

Beat the Jets whenever you can.
Beat Miami to send the message that Suh was a waste and they suck too.

What a crock. Who the f..k cares about Miami, and how badly they run their team?

Also, I think its a good game for players like Hankerson to build Chemistry with Brady. Im all for sitting Gronk, because every time he has ball, my butt hole cringes harder then an industrial vice grip. Play to win, and let fate take care of the rest of the playoff scenario.

Also, I think its a good game for players like Hankerson to build Chemistry with Brady. Im all for sitting Gronk, because every time he has ball, my butt hole cringes harder then an industrial vice grip. Play to win, and let fate take care of the rest of the playoff scenario.

With the Amendola sprain issue, and Gronk looking in pain on almost ever snap last week, we could see

Martin - SlotWR
Hankerson OWR
LaFell - OWR
Chandler - TE1
Jackson - RB1
White - 3DRB

I for one would rather have the Jets in the playoffs and the Steelers or Broncos out, preferebly the Steelers.

That's fine, if you expect the Steelers to lose to one of the backup quarterbacked dynasties such as Baltimore and Cleveland; otherwise, what the Jets do is completely irrelevant.

I think the Steelers pretty much secured their position on Sunday with their comeback, unless they really manage to blow it. Let's hope they do.

Also, I think its a good game for players like Hankerson to build Chemistry with Brady.

Due to the injury situation, I don't know if they have a choice. If Hankerson seriously makes some type of impact, I'll be stunned at how quickly they were able to get on the same page.

“Blame Shaun Ellis,” Pace joked, via NJ.com’s Darryl Slater. “If Shaun didn’t get that hit on (Bledsoe) the sideline, they might have somebody else at quarterback. But things happen like that sometimes.”
Uh Calvin, that was Mo Lewis, not Shaun Ellis.

If the Patriots actually did what the OP is suggesting, I may have to root for Miami in week 17, which is the only scenario in the universe where this could happen. Pulling all of your good players to rest them against a supposedly better team and then reinserting then against a team who you expect to beat easily? The Dolphins should rightfully be insulted; meanwhile, the Jets should no longer have a shred of respect/fear for a team that wussed out of playing them in fear they would lose.

Just a very bad idea. In addition, the logic is incredibly flawed. Play to beat the Jets and you have a greater chance of resting all of your key players an extra week.

jeezus krist....14 years of this shyt...just never stops

NFL players PLAY football in the NFL

They don't play for or against YOUR fears.

The head coach will decide who plays when...SEE?...it's that easy...but by all means continue with the gnashing of teeth

On top of all the good points already in this thread ...

It's not right to hand a possible playoff team a victory ...

Play to win ... the Miami game is irrelevant to the playoffs ... for them anyways.
Yeah, I remember the Colts and Bengals lying down for the Jets the first (I think) time Rex got them to the AFCCG. That was the only way they could get into the playoffs and it still smells a decade later.

Last edited:
Uh Calvin, that was Mo Lewis, not Shaun Ellis.

Just because he appears to be holding to the Bowles MOD doesn't make his upstairs light any brighter :) (n fairness to Pace it was a long time ago -- I didn't even catch the error until you mentioned it).

With the Amendola sprain issue, and Gronk looking in pain on almost ever snap last week, we could see

Martin - SlotWR
Hankerson OWR
LaFell - OWR
Chandler - TE1
Jackson - RB1
White - 3DRB

Well it ain't 2007 part deux :) but we just need one lousy win.....

Pats will never do this - I thank god that BB is the head coach and not one of these internet guys..

To me the logic is simple: until they have Home Field locked up they have to put on the field the available players that they feel give them the best chance to win.

Not sure both sides really disagree. I think the point being made is if you have players that are already injured, do not play them just because you want to secure a HFA win now when there is still another game left to play.

Playing injured players for this reason or to "keep the Jets out of the playoffs" is dumb and I don't believe BB thinks that way.

Obviously if a player has a nagging injury but is good enough to go after doctors, player and HC agree then play him based on the level of his injury. Conversely, if a player is almost good to go but can risk a more serious re-injury that could keep him out of the playoffs if you play him, then sit him.

The Pats are not going to forfeit this game, no one is suggesting that. It may simply come down to the rooks and 2nd stringers having to step up if the starters can't play. Nobody out here knows **** about who will play and who won't cause the Pats ain't saying.

Martin - SlotWR
Hankerson OWR
LaFell - OWR
Chandler - TE1
Jackson - RB1
White - 3DRB

Gronk was in EMOTIONAL pain because he'd lost his close friend and trainer just 2 days before.. SMH..

So in your world, there is no value in the history and intertwined stories of rivals.

Love what Curt Shilling had to say about this:
''When you use the words mystique and aura,'' Schilling, the Arizona pitcher, said, ''those are dancers in a nightclub. Those are not things we concern ourselves with on the ball field.''

Rivalries keep the fans engaged, players don't really give a damn, especially at the pro level. Sure they want to win and want their own careers to go forward but they mostly don't give a damn about what Mo Lewis did 14 years ago.

If you talk to most NFL players they care more about college rivalries rather than the pros for the simple reason that they got to pick their college teams whereas in the NFL the teams picked them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents