PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Simmons: Brady, Manning and the rivalry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Simmons on Brady vs. Manning

Awesome article OP, thanks for the link.

Oh by the way I like the part about his conversation with Mo Cheeks. Next time someone gives you crap about saying "we" when referring to the team, just throw that back at them. Players, coaches and even owners come and go, but fans (and their memories) are forever.

Absolutely excellent article.

I found some nice indepth stats on some of the top QB's vs defenses on another forum.

23k68wp.jpg

347wxky.jpg

I found some nice indepth stats on some of the top QB's vs defenses on another forum.

23k68wp.jpg

347wxky.jpg

Nice article from Simmons. A throwback to when I was a big fan, and not just casually checking in. He sounded much less like a lapsed Pats fan in this one.

Anyway, I'm of a mind to laminate these stats and carry them around in my wallet so I can save my voice with some people. Then again, those people just don't want to listen.

For example, a dude at work refused to believe me that a) Brady has a higher career QB rating, and b) in his last three seasons (2008 excluded, of course) , Brady has averaged 38 TDs and just over 8 picks per. I'm like, "Hey, you can look it up." :rolleyes:

Nice article from Simmons. A throwback to when I was a big fan, and not just casually checking in. He sounded much less like a lapsed Pats fan in this one.

Anyway, I'm of a mind to laminate these stats and carry them around in my wallet so I can save my voice with some people. Then again, those people just don't want to listen.

For example, a dude at work refused to believe me that a) Brady has a higher career QB rating, and b) in his last three seasons (2008 excluded, of course) , Brady has averaged 38 TDs and just over 8 picks per. I'm like, "Hey, you can look it up." :rolleyes:

Tell the guy you work work with he doesn't have a choice whether to believe it or not...it's fact, not opinion.

Ask him if he believes the earth is round and tell him it's the same thing. I LOVE guys like him cuz they're so easy to piss off!

If it comes down to it, tell him denile is not a river in Egypt....:D

Last edited:

23k68wp.jpg

347wxky.jpg

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. It's amazing how consistent Brady has been against the best defenses. What's also strange is the contrast of the two QBs between top 15 vs. rest of the league.

While Brady's QB rating is significantly higher against the bottom part of the league, his INT % is also the highest. He's thrown way more TDs to compensate, but still, he throws more INTs against crappy competition.

Manning on the other hand feasts on those teams as well, but throws way more INTs against elite defenses. Which just reinforces the whole choking thing.

wait, ive never noticed this before:

1. 2007 Brady (16 G): 4,806 yards, 50 TDs, 8 INTs, 9.4 YPA, 117.2 rating, 16 wins.
2. 2004 Manning (16 G): 4,557 yards, 49 TDs, 10 INTs, 9.2 YPA, 121.1 rating, 12 wins.

i know passer rating is not the end all be all....but what??? how does that work out???

when u have a higher YPA, and more TD's, and less INT's....is it the completion % thats the culprit???

It's not the total number of TDs and INTs that are used in the formula, it's TD and INT percentage. Manning threw 81 fewer passes during his '04 season than Brady did during his '07 season. That's the major reason why Manning's rating was higher for the year. Brady actually had a higher completion %, but Manning averaged almost a full extra yard per attempt, 8.3 vs 9.2 . Also keep in mind that Manning only played one series in his last game against the Broncos that year, throwing only 2 passes.

Brady's season will get the edge historically because of the team success, but Manning's '04 regular season was statistically better. Whatever. Didn't you guys win the Super Bowl in '04? Which year were happier with when it was all over: Brady's "best season ever" in '07 or the Super Bowl win in '04? When people bring up Manning's '04 season, don't talk Brady's '07 season, just mention who won the Super Bowl that year.

It's not the total number of TDs and INTs that are used in the formula, it's TD and INT percentage. Manning threw 81 fewer passes during his '04 season than Brady did during his '07 season. That's the major reason why Manning's rating was higher for the year. Brady actually had a higher completion %, but Manning averaged almost a full extra yard per attempt, 8.3 vs 9.2 . Also keep in mind that Manning only played one series in his last game against the Broncos that year, throwing only 2 passes.

Brady's season will get the edge historically because of the team success, but Manning's '04 regular season was statistically better. Whatever. Didn't you guys win the Super Bowl in '04? Which year were happier with when it was all over: Brady's "best season ever" in '07 or the Super Bowl win in '04? When people bring up Manning's '04 season, don't talk Brady's '07 season, just mention who won the Super Bowl that year.

I would still argue that Brady's season was more impressive due to the conditions he played in that entire year. Meanwhile, Manning played 10 games in a dome in 2004 (8 home games, at Det, at HOU).

The Patriots played the NFC east and AFC north that year so they had a bunch of Northern games in addition to their home games. Here are the cold weather games that the Patriots played that year:

8 Home Games
at NYJ
at CIN
at WAS
at BUF
at BAL
at NYG

The patriots played just two dome games that year (at IND, at DAL)

Great article on the rivalry between Brady and Manning:
Bill Simmons: Tom Brady and Peyton Manning -- the rivalry - ESPN

Brady and Manning also like one another -- a lot -- to the point that it's not worth asking one about the other. When I called Brady this week to pick his brain for a few minutes, the mere mention of Manning's name had Brady gushing. That's just how quarterbacks are wired. You never hear them snipe at a rival or grumble about the credentials of a teammate who took their job. (Only after they retire does the possibility of an Esiason-Marino incident come into play.) It's the single hardest job in sports, and the only people who totally understand that are quarterbacks themselves. They pull for each other. All the time. When Bernard Pollard ended Brady's 2008 season after eight minutes, a shaken Manning called him to check in. When Brady's surgically repaired knee developed a staph infection a few weeks later, he remembered Manning battling a similar issue and called his foe for advice, saying later, "He was very encouraging. He always has been. He's just that kind of a guy, a very classy guy." I don't remember hearing that lyric in "Hit 'Em Up."

the comparison talk is rather sickening ... they are both great QB's.

Who is better is more a factor on who was better that week ... that's about it.

Simmons! Great article. Thanks for the link, OP. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST