PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Silva from BC

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Dimitroff went to Atlanta, he mentioned that one of the players he was most proud of, as far as his own scouting eye, was James Sanders. I found this odd, because I tend to agree Sanders is a 2nd string player in a good secondary. The Marshawn Lynch TD run in the 1st Buffalo game was a good illustration of that. The Addai TD catch vs Indy was another. If we assume Meriweather builds on some signs of progress toward season's end, then the long term situation at SS still needs attention.

Last edited:
When Dimitroff went to Atlanta, he mentioned that one of the players he was most proud of, as far as his own scouting eye, was James Sanders. I found this odd, because I tend to agree Sanders is a 2nd string player in a good secondary. The Marshawn Lynch TD run in the 1st Buffalo game was a good illustration of that. The Addai TD catch vs Indy was another. If we assume Meriweather builds on some signs of progress toward season's end, then the long term situation at SS still needs attention.

Pony Express thank you! Finally someone who doesn't drink the Sanders Kool Aid. What did it for me was the Adai last minute TD in the Championship game the year before. I could have made that tackle and he simply "ole'd" him! It was embarrassing.
SS Michael Huff can be had from Oakland for a higher choice. They are shopping him for choices. He's fast, smart and can cover with the way the Pats have their CB's defend the outside, a cover safety is important. Oh yeah he can tackle too! The middle coverage has been our big issue (see Mr. Sanders) Rodney has a few plays left but got beat like a drum in some cases (Kevin Boss).

What are we waiting for on Huff? His salary might be high for a few years ago but maybe no so today. CAP? I don't know. Better shot with him than any other safety in the entire draft. He and Merriweather would be a decent young safety tandem for years.

I got an idea! Lets send James to Atlanta to Mr. Dimitroff for D. Hall!
DW Toys

Lmao on Sanders for Hall would drive Sanders to Atlanta myself somehow.
Agree with Michael Huff was crushed he became a Raider.
We have a chance to save the young mans career.
I'd send a 4th and Nick Kazcur.

Pony Express thank you! Finally someone who doesn't drink the Sanders Kool Aid. What did it for me was the Adai last minute TD in the Championship game the year before.

You two aren't the only ones who see flaws in Sanders' game. I had it out with another poster a couple days ago on this issue and I really wish people stopped sugar coating his weaknesses. And though he's improved a great deal since the Colts game you've mentioned, more recently, Sanders not only looked lost in coverage against Mercedes Lewis, but he also managed to wiff on the tackle with the result of the play having been something like a 25 yard completion (it really should have been 10-12 yard gain if the tackle had been made) in the playoff game against Jax.

The middle coverage has been our big issue (see Mr. Sanders) Rodney has a few plays left but got beat like a drum in some cases (Kevin Boss).

Rodney did get beat a few times in coverage this past year, but the play you refer to above wasn't one of them. Boss gained a step when Seau switched coverage with AD after the snap and elected to go after the RB's screen pattern on D's left flank, which rightfully was AD's assignment. AD lost a couple steps on Boss and Rodney on this play was the deep safety help protecting his side of the field. Protecting Asante from getting beat deep was also Rodney's assignment in addition to protecting the deep middle. He read the Boss play well and got to the streaking and open Boss almost at the same time as the ball, made a play on the ball instead of wrapping up Boss and allowed the TE to gain something like 15 more yard before making a shoe string tackle from behind. IOW, Rodney's coverage wasn't the problem on this play and he should not be faulted for it.

If you want to see an example of Rodney still being able to cover, his lack of speed is overcome by his instincts, intellgence and his ability to read plays better than almost anyone on the field, watch the Steelers game when he's covering a WR in the endzone on a clear out. There's no one else in the enzone other than Rodney and his guy and yet, Rodney prevents a TD on a well designed play that was meant to take advantage of a mismatch. The guy can still cover well and this play is another prime example, as if one needed more, that speed in coverage, or the lack thereof, can be negated by excellent football intelligence and instincts.

Said all this, I'm with both of you guys that we can most definately improve at the third safety spot. I'm not sure that guy is Silva. At this point, I'd much rather draft Zbik.

That's a fairly silly reason not to like somebody. How many local guys have played with New England? Jermaine Wiggins was pretty good. Sean Morey good enough to make the team out of Brown. The Flutie brothers were here at different points. Mark van Eeghan was at the end of his career when he played here. And those are the only ones that come to mind in the last 20 years or so. Going way back, Nick Buoniconte was a pretty good player.

Certainly there's no reason to believe guys like Lofa Tatupu, Matt Hasselbeck, Howie Long, Steve Cooper, Marc Columbo, Pete Kendall, Tom Nalen, Rob Konrad, Eric Johnson, Ron Stone, or Jerry Azumah would have had lesser careers if they had played for the Patriots.

For every Hasselback there is another Hasselback. For every Brennan there is a Gieselman. For every Snee a Mamula and for every DeOssie a Roth. Here are 1st,2nd,and 3rd round busts from our local U. Wasnt David Tyrell from Brockton? I think there is something to where you grew up and where you went to school....FL,TX,PA and CA produce more than half the players in the league. Further, there are some schools obviously preferred by our coach--LSU, UM,UF, Fresno st.,etc...not sure its just because of the system.
If you are talking about getting safety help comparing his skills to someone like Woodyard is appropriate. 4.8 for a safety compared to a 4.4 for a LB....I agree that we need to get another guy, not just a STer.

Lmao on Sanders for Hall would drive Sanders to Atlanta myself somehow.
Agree with Michael Huff was crushed he became a Raider.
We have a chance to save the young mans career.
I'd send a 4th and Nick Kazcur.

Don't spoil the deal by sending Kazcur, sweeten it by sending the 4th and half a box of jelly munchkins instead of that stiff.

I'm on record in this forum about my take on Sanders and I got blasted. I have stated it before and I'll say it again. He's a role player, he's not a starter and he never
will be. I compared him to Antoine Bethea of the Colts, who I see as a mediocre safety at best and Antoine put up better numbers than James last season. There's nothing
to sugar coat, he's a 3rd-4th safety in this league, and he has peaked, he will not get any better than what he is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes