PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signing Herron WAS revenge says Star Tribune [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Signing Herron WAS revenge says Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/vikings/

Has this quote been confirmed? I can't find it anywhere.

I would think even if BB said this, it would be in a joking manner. This is very common, a joke amongst peers. I don't believe the Vikings picking up Mills would get BB all worked up.

BTW, right or wrong, Belichick will get some measure of revenge. It could just be vengeance, ego, consequences, whatever, but BB won't let go of this. It'll be something he remembers for years. I can't wait to see what tiny way(s) he F's with Childress in the future.

Ask Tom Jackson if Bill "F____ you" Belichick has a memory and holds a grudge.

He'll trade Moss to GB. :D

Really though, what a jackass Childress is, bragging to the world that he supposedly one upped Belichick.

The minister's son? I like him already, Go Dave!

That is true only if the players involved are eligible for termination pay.
From the CBA -
"Any player who has completed the season in which his fourth year or more of credited service under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Retirement Plan has been earned shall be eligible for termination pay
under this Article if:
(1) He is released after his Club’s first regular season game; and
(2) He has made the Inactive or Active List of his Club on or after the date of his Club’s first regular​
season game."

Hope that this helps.

Mills and Herron would not qualify for Termination Pay.

Thank you so much, Miguel.

If that had been true this "favor swap" would have made sense. Now I'm mystified. We did have 2 roster spots after all.

That is just my opinion. Asking a team to shut down a player's opportunity to make a roster as a favor is outrageous to me. I would consider making such conduct punishable under the CBA, if I could.

I would be amazed to find out this doesn't happen all of the time. It seems rather naive to think it doesn't.

If what you say is true, then the union should make this an issue for the next CBA.

I would be amazed to find out this doesn't happen all of the time. It seems rather naive to think it doesn't.

If you were a Minny fan, wouldn't you want your coach to hang up when bb called to try to get you not sign "HIS" player, the player he just cut? Wouldn't you want your coach to make it public that the patriots stooped so low as to call you to stop a player from being signed to a roster so that the patriots could have another Practice Squad player?
NO, I don't think airing private discussions serves a purpose at all. After Culpepper left, Childress blasted him in the media. Same as this, airing out personal conversations. All he had to do was say, "Dante did a good job for us and we wish him luck."

Maybe Minny fans do want coaches airing dirty laundry, I don't know.

But this Patsfan doesn't particularly care for it, and I think things like this are best left unsaid.

It wasn't bad enough that bb wanted to called to twist Childress' arm? You wanted Kraft to also stoop to the same low level? It really isn'y something Kraft would do.
Everyone seemed happy when Kraft intervened with the Welker deal. There is nothing wrong with teams making deals. Sometimes they do it in reverse, as when St Louis told the Pats that someone was looking to trade picks with them, forcing the Pats to move up one space to get Ty Warren.

Wheeling and dealing is part of the game. Get over it.

I think I asked a stupid question. If we snuck these guys onto the PS, we save a minimum salary and pay a PS salary, a considerable saving.

Was it Childress who got into the thing with Walrus from Seattle?

Seems to me he's breaking the "gentlemen's agreement" and setting himself up to be ostracized by other NFL coaches.

In other words when childress needs a little favor, the coaches and GMs of other teams will always be out of the office.

Know what I mean?

If what you say is true, then the union should make this an issue for the next CBA.

Did what happen?

Reply of every coach except Childress.

I don't get any of this. Teams don't stash someone on the PS if they are afraid of losing them. It only takes one team AT ANY TIME to decide that the guy is worth being the 53rd player on their roster...and he is gone.

There is likely some truth in all this (BB thinking enough of Mills to want him on the PS, calling Childress, etc.). But to think BB is spending this amount of time and energy on Mills instead of fine-tuning a gameplan for the Jets is just foolish.

I'm sure BB isn't overly happy that Mills is gone. I think he has some potential myself. I just can't believe the importance and focus everyone is putting on PS players (especially a non-QB). I suggest we all move on. BB surely has.

Wheeling and dealing is fine and SHOULD happen, even more than it does. I choose not to get over a coach calling another coach and asking that a player not be on the regular roster this year as a special favor. This should not be allowed. The CBA should protect players from this type of interference.

Everyone seemed happy when Kraft intervened with the Welker deal. There is nothing wrong with teams making deals. Sometimes they do it in reverse, as when St Louis told the Pats that someone was looking to trade picks with them, forcing the Pats to move up one space to get Ty Warren.

Wheeling and dealing is part of the game. Get over it.

But to think BB is spending this amount of time and energy on Mills instead of fine-tuning a gameplan for the Jets is just foolish.
You may be right in general on your post but Belichick isn't sitting in his office fine tuning his gameplan tonight. It's the first game against a team he knows well - the gameplan won't need any tweaks at this point. The last tweaks he would have made was whenever he heard about Harrison being out.

Wheeling and dealing is fine and SHOULD happen, even more than it does. I choose not to get over a coach calling another coach and asking that a player not be on the regular roster this year as a special favor. This should not be allowed. The CBA should protect players from this type of interference.

Last edited:

IMO, it was unprofessional of Child-dress to go to the press with that. Maybe he got such a woody thinking he'd beaten BB, after the beating the Patriots gave the Vikes last year(I was at that game), he couldn't contain himself.

Anyone remember that press conference from about a week ago when Belichick was asked about cuts, waivers and the practice squad and he eagerly (well, for Belichick anyways) explained how sometimes it could get political and almost like draft day? At the time, it seemed odd that he would go into such a lengthy explanation to a simple question when he's usually curt.

Q: When you have to cut a younger guy, is it just a guessing game if he'll make it through waivers if he's someone you want to sign to your practice squad?

BB: It's a guesstimate. It would be a guesstimate. I think that's part of the overall decision-making process. If you think that you need to carry a player to have him or would he be claimed and how much interest is there in that player, you don't know. It only takes one team to claim him. 30 teams could not want him and one team could and that answers your question. It's a very inexact science. I think in the end, you have to do what's best for your football team. Now sometimes there's a little strategy involved in personnel moves, kind of like there is in the draft. Sometimes you can maneuver a little bit if you want to do a little bit of a draft strategy on who might be available, who might slide, who might not, that type of thing. I think there's a little bit of that, but I think in the end, the best decision is to make decisions that we feel are best for our football team. I would say that 95 percent of it is probably that and then there might be a little percentage of trying to figure out what's going to happen. But I've seen it go the other way too. I've seen other teams call about a certain player and you think you're going to be able to trade this player or trade this player and, okay, it doesn't work out and then you release him and then nobody claims him. You say, 'Well I know this guy is gone because these two or three teams have called and even thought about trading for him,' and then you release him and they don't pick him up. This time of year there's a lot of things in flux. There really are. A team could be interested in a player, but then somebody else becomes available and then they're not interested in that guy anymore and vice versa. A lot can change in a hurry and everybody has injuries, everybody has particular situations on their roster by certain positions. Everybody has young players who are ascending but haven't caught the veteran players yet, maybe veteran players who maybe aren't what they were the year before, but they're still better. When do you make the switch, when do you not make it? How many young players is too many? How many veteran players is too many? How do you balance that? Where are you now in September? Where do you think you're going to be in the middle of October? Where do think you're going to be in November relative to some of those decisions? Is the young guy going to improve, where is he going to be one month from now, two months from now? Maybe he's not ready now, but where do you think he's going to end up? The flipside of that is sometimes it's the older players - where do you think they're going to be halfway or three quarters of the way through the season. Again, I can't sit here and say there's a formula. You just try to take everything into consideration and make the best decisions you can for the football team. Each year is different. Every player is different. Every situation is different. I don't think there's any formula or perfect example of, 'If you put these things in and you come out with this.' I just don't think it works that way.

You may be right in general on your post but Belichick isn't sitting in his office fine tuning his gameplan tonight. It's the first game against a team he knows well - the gameplan won't need any tweaks at this point. The last tweaks he would have made was whenever he heard about Harrison being out.

Point taken (though I hope BB has a better gameplan in mind than the last time they met). What I was driving at was BB has 53+ players to get ready for a game in less than a week. He gambled and lost on a player that would likely never take the field this year. He has repeatedly said that you can't keep everybody. I would hope he has enough experience to keep his postpartum depression to a minimum.

This is choice! The fact that the Pats tried to sneak Mills through waivers to get him on the PS indicates he didn't have a chance at playing a major role this season due to injuries and lack of depth at TE. Given that they've invested a little more than a year in Mills, I can see how they would have preferred to stash him on the PS in hopes of having him groomed for his 3rd season.

However, in relative terms of importance to this season, this is miniscule and can't be prominent in BBs thoughts at this time. He's let it go, and to have a Childress quote implying this was a big deal is really humorous. In the scheme of things, this is slight, and it's likely Herron will be gone before too long as well.

Small time thoughts from a small-town team.

I don't get any of this. Teams don't stash someone on the PS if they are afraid of losing them. It only takes one team AT ANY TIME to decide that the guy is worth being the 53rd player on their roster...and he is gone.

There is likely some truth in all this (BB thinking enough of Mills to want him on the PS, calling Childress, etc.). But to think BB is spending this amount of time and energy on Mills instead of fine-tuning a gameplan for the Jets is just foolish.

I'm sure BB isn't overly happy that Mills is gone. I think he has some potential myself. I just can't believe the importance and focus everyone is putting on PS players (especially a non-QB). I suggest we all move on. BB surely has.

In seconding your suggestion to move on, I say we should all remember something about Mills: he's not a starter on this team. He's not as good a TE as David Thomas, not as good an H-back as Watson, not as good a FB as Evans, not as good at catching the ball out of the backfield as Faulk. Pretty good at all of those things, sure, but what he would have been good at this year was playing scout team on the PS, which is what BB wanted him for as he developed.

Mills will excel in Minnie's O better than he would have in NE, taking on a pass-catching FB role not seen at Gillette since Larry Centers in '03. And his success in purple doesn't necessarily mean he was a bad cut. (See Greg Spires in Tampa: a good guy who found the right system elsewhere, but a different DE from Seymour, Warren or Green.)

This is choice! The fact that the Pats tried to sneak Mills through waivers to get him on the PS indicates he didn't have a chance at playing a major role this season due to injuries and lack of depth at TE. Given that they've invested a little more than a year in Mills, I can see how they would have preferred to stash him on the PS in hopes of having him groomed for his 3rd season.

However, in relative terms of importance to this season, this is miniscule and can't be prominent in BBs thoughts at this time. He's let it go, and to have a Childress quote implying this was a big deal is really humorous. In the scheme of things, this is slight, and it's likely Herron will be gone before too long as well.

Small time thoughts from a small-town team.

I think it's likely Childress will be gone before too long also.

Not ever being able to get one of your own players on the practice squad might prove to be a hindrance.:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft