PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Signing Herron WAS revenge says Star Tribune [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Signing Herron WAS revenge says Star Tribune

Is Herron really a better STer than Wesley or Mays?
Probably not. But it's a pretty good warning shot that Childress is on Belichick's sh!t list and that's not a good place to be.

That will not make it more likely for the patriots to win any of their games.

Do you really think that any team should not sign a player so that the patriots can be stronger or because their coaching staff might get pi$$ed. If you were a Minny fan, wouldn't you want your coach to hang up when bb called to try to get you not sign "HIS" player, the player he just cut? Wouldn't you want your coach to make it public that the patriots stooped so low as to call you to stop a player from being signed to a roster so that the patriots could have another Practice Squad player?

Probably not. But it's a pretty good warning shot that Childress is on Belichick's sh!t list and that's not a good place to be.

Who do you think will be cut first? Mills or Herron?

If you're asking me, I'd say Herron. We're loaded and don't have much room for developmental players.

Of course I know nothing zip zero about Minnie's personnel and maybe they're low on pass catchers.

1. Vikings have every right to sign a player taht the Patriots cut and Belicheck should not have gotten so pissed off if its true. Seems kind of unprofessional.
He cut Mills...end of story. Childress doesn't owe BB any favors

2. There is NO WAY that Childress should have made a private converstaion with belicheck public....STUPID STUPID STUPID on Childress' part and this is what will really piss off BB and rightfully so.

As Childress recounted during an appearance on WCCO-AM’s Softballs with Sid, Belichick apparently was suggesting he would claim a Vikings castoff if the Vikings did not back off of his player.

According to Childress, Belichick said: “Is there any way that you don’t take our guy and we don’t take your guy?”

Childress said he replied: “Well, I’m really interested in your guy. We’ll have to let our guy slide.”

“He didn’t really care for that,” Childress said. “He was trying to leverage. You always find out who is honest and straightforward.”

This doesn't sound like a temper tantrum to me, or that BB even cared that much about Mills. It sounds more like the way you talk to a meter maid when you rush back to your car 5 minutes late and they're still going to write up the ticket. Like "are you kidding me, is there some way we can just..." It's a $15 parking ticket, but just the hassle and crap is annoying.

Nabbing PS players is similar, an annoyance. The PS, contrary to popular myth, is NOT where you stash guys you think are going on to great things. It's where you put guys you know, who can help you PRACTICE well. So losing a guy is a major pain in the ass because now you have to find some unknown to try and do stuff. It's not like you lost some future star. Guys like Brady as a rookie, that have some kind of spark or intrigue, you keep on the roster.

Could be he was trying to not have to pay these guys full salary?

I didn't see anyone pickup on this so I restated it. Don't we save paying full salary if we cut by a certain date?

That is true only if the players involved are eligible for termination pay.
From the CBA -
"Any player who has completed the season in which his fourth year or more of credited service under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Retirement Plan has been earned shall be eligible for termination pay
under this Article if:
(1) He is released after his Club’s first regular season game; and
(2) He has made the Inactive or Active List of his Club on or after the date of his Club’s first regular​
season game."

Hope that this helps.

Mills and Herron would not qualify for Termination Pay.

Sure, Childress shouldn't have made bb's call public. He should have hung up on his outrageous suggestion.

1. Vikings have every right to sign a player taht the Patriots cut and Belicheck should not have gotten so pissed off if its true. Seems kind of unprofessional.
He cut Mills...end of story. Childress doesn't owe BB any favors

2. There is NO WAY that Childress should have made a private converstaion with belicheck public....STUPID STUPID STUPID on Childress' part and this is what will really piss off BB and rightfully so.

I'm surprised that this wasn't worked out on the owners's level. Kraft and Wilf seems to be buddies. I spent time with them at an event and they were very friendly and familiar with one another.

The fact that Childress would openly discuss behind the scenes personnel moves with the media shows the massive gap in quality, experience, and good judgment between the two respective coaches.

Well said. I'm sure shyt like this (BB's phone call) goes down all the time, but to put it out in the open like that seems a little out of line by Childress.

Last edited:

Sure, Childress shouldn't have made bb's call public. He should have hung up on his outrageous suggestion.

Childress is trying to make himself seem important.

Belichick's quote sounds more like a "come on" type thing he does at almost any press conference.

Really, if you don't follow BB much, you'd think he was pissed and grumpy no matter what he says. In fact, you might even get all upset he didn't shake your hand the right way after a game. :rolleyes:

It wasn't bad enough that bb wanted to called to twist Childress' arm? You wanted Kraft to also stoop to the same low level? It really isn'y something Kraft would do. If there was a real issue between the teams, then I would agree, the owners are close and could work things out. For example, had the discussion taken place last week, we might have gotten a sixth from Minny.

I suggest that we might wish Mills well in his career and hope that he does well for Minny, the same that I would wish Rogers, or Mruc or Wesley (except of course when theyn play us).

I'm surprised that this wasn't worked out on the owners's level. Kraft and Wilf seems to be buddies. I spent time with them at an event and they were very friendly and familiar with one another.

It wasn't bad enough that bb wanted to called to twist Childress' arm? You wanted Kraft to also stoop to the same low level? It really isn'y something Kraft would do. If there was a real issue between the teams, then I would agree, the owners are close and could work things out. For example, had the discussion taken place last week, we might have gotten a sixth from Minny.
No, just to clarify: I didn't want it to happen. I really have no idea if this is common or uncommon and what the machinations are, and if it's even considered "stooping". Maybe it is, and maybe it's SOP. My point was that this seemed pretty confrontational and if it had to happen, maybe it would have been better handled by friends. But what do I know??? Nothing about this, that's for sure.
I suggest that we might wish Mills well in his career and hope that he does well for Minny, the same that I would wish Rogers, or Mruc or Wesley (except of course when theyn play us).
I'm sure we all agree!

The fact that Childress would openly discuss behind the scenes personnel moves with the media shows the massive gap in quality, experience, and good judgment between the two respective coaches.

You are 100 per cent right!

I understand now, and I do agree. If the team felt the need to confront Minny on this issue, a call between friends would indeed have been a much better idea than the choice bb made.

No, just to clarify: I didn't want it to happen. I really have no idea if this is common or uncommon and what the machinations are, and if it's even considered "stooping". Maybe it is, and maybe it's SOP. My point was that this seemed pretty confrontational and if it had to happen, maybe it would have been better handled by friends. But what do I know??? Nothing about this, that's for sure.

I'm sure we all agree!

Why is an opening salvo re: a negotiation, professional courtesy favor-bank offer - something that certainly happens from time to time in the NFL - "outrageous?"

Childress couldn't keep his mouth shut during the Culpepper fallout and it seems he didn't learn anything from that tawdry episode. Mills isn't on the 53 because he is still developing into an H-back and the slot would seem to have a better value for another player BB felt could help the team more on game days.

Herron was a FB/DE in High School, and a productive LB at Michigan State. It's noteworthy he was listed at 245 by Michigan State and weighed in at 239 for his Pro-Day, usually a time when players have lost weight to improve speed/quickness measurables so it would seem Herron has some of the hybrid skills/measurables BB likes in his linebackers.

Background on Herron:
http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/102906aac.html
In 2003, Herron played mostly on special teams, making five tackles. In the spring, he was asked to move from fullback, a position he had played almost exclusively since his days in high school, to linebacker.

"I thought about transferring," he said, "but I told myself that I would try it out and see how it was. I'm not a quitter. The first time I went to linebacker was kind of hard, but I'm pretty dedicated at what I do so I just fought and tried to do whatever I had to do to make myself better."

Herron worked through the transition quickly, becoming one of Michigan State's top defensive playmakers almost immediately. He made 95 tackles as a sophomore, eight for a loss, and added 65 more tackles as a junior, which was second on the team.

He's made big plays in big games, most notably a fumble recovery at the 1-yard line on first-and-goal at Notre Dame in 2005. The stop became even larger after the Irish scored 21 straight points to force overtime in the Spartans' 44-41 win. Herron said he enjoys chances just like that, whether its making nine tackles against Michigan last Saturday or nine at Ohio State in 2005.
Herron is called a "Whip" linebacker which from my research was MSU's "Will" under John L. Smith. He reads like a classic BB player: multiple position switches, productive against top competition, minister's son.

That is just my opinion. Asking a team to shut down a player's opportunity to make a roster as a favor is outrageous to me. I would consider making such conduct punishable under the CBA, if I could.

Why is an opening salvo re: a negotiation, professional courtesy favor-bank offer - something that certainly happens from time to time in the NFL - "outrageous?"

That is just my opinion. Asking a team to shut down a player's opportunity to make a roster as a favor is outrageous to me. I would consider making such conduct punishable under the CBA, if I could.

LOL, you seem very fiery on this topic, mgteich. 'Course, I myself have been a little fiery this weekend - this L.A. BROIL has been absolutely F-ing brutal and my studio faces West - so I should probably not judge.

BTW, right or wrong, Belichick will get some measure of revenge. It could just be vengeance, ego, consequences, whatever, but BB won't let go of this. It'll be something he remembers for years. I can't wait to see what tiny way(s) he F's with Childress in the future.

Ask Tom Jackson if Bill "F____ you" Belichick has a memory and holds a grudge.

Last edited:

Can someone explain what the following quote from Childress means?

“He was trying to leverage. You always find out who is honest and straightforward.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes