PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SI.com offers a pretty fair preview of the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must have been written awhile ago, or else they missed the Bethel - Sullivan trade.

primetime said:
It must have been written awhile ago, or else they missed the Bethel - Sullivan trade.

Gotcha, Joe! Knew there'd be away. ;)

I liked this...

Doubling up
Tom Brady has almost twice as many regular season touchdown passes as he does interceptions (123 to 66), has never completed fewer than 60 percent of his passes in a season since taking over for Drew Bledsoe, has a career rating of 88.5 and has started 89 straight games (including playoffs) for New England.

Tough to keep down
New England hasn’t lost back-to-back games since December 2002, a string of 49 games. The league’s next-longest streak is Denver, which is up to 20 weeks. The NFL record is 60 straight weeks accomplished by the San Francisco 49ers from 1995-99.

Filling in
The Patriots used 45 different players in their 2005 starting lineups, a post-merger record for a division champion. The former record? It was held by the 2003 Patriots, who used 42 different starters en route to a Super Bowl win. As for the division winner with the third-most starters employed? The 2004 Pats used 40. To give an indication of how that turnover normally works out for teams, the only clubs to use more starters in 2005 than New England were the 49ers and Cardinals (47 each). They went a combined 9–23.

JoeSixPat said:
I think they did a pretty good job in their assessment for a change- lots of upside and unanswered questions for the Patriots... the loss of Vinateiri might or might not "sting for awhile" as they predict though,

...only time will tell.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/fo...view/2006/teams/afce/newengland_patriots.html

I dunno. Not that had any problem with this assessment, it was the lack of similar depth of critical analysis in the assessments of a couple of other teams I read through that I find annoying.

They basically backhandedly complimented Peyton as the best stat machine in the league but said until he proves he can do it when it counts it won't matter. Said the onus will be on him this season (yeah, right), but then glossed over the RB change by and large (which will ultimately get the blame if things don't work out this season). Didn't seem to voice much concern about their no-name secondary...or injured rookies naturally showing up this season.

Just like in Pittsburgh the assumption is made that injury plagued Staley, whose been essentially MIA since they traded for him, will occupy the void left with Bus' departure. And no mention of the off field and contract issues that may impact Holmes (who they project replacing Ward who goes to the slot :eek: ) and Joey "the mouth that roared" Porter. And of course Ben will not only be fine in the aftermath of his faceplant, he'll just continue to improve.

I love this snipet on the Chiefs -

"The Chiefs have finally given up on the faulty premise that offense wins championships. It was faulty for them, anyway.

The problem was their defense, neglected and always merely along for the ride.

Upon Vermeil's retirement last winter, the Chiefs decided to try it a different way. They hired Herman Edwards as their new coach.

Though Edwards is a protégé of Vermeil - years ago he played for Vermeil with the Eagles - their styles couldn't possibly be more different. Edwards will demand that the Chiefs improve a forlorn defense that could never find its way under Vermeil."

Herm the "demander". Who do they think taught Herm to hug? At least they didn't go so far as to dub him a defensive guru. An equal concern developing in KC of late is that while Herm is motivating the D that previously overpowering aging offense is gonna being to slide into decline. It should take Herm about 3 seasons to reverse the fortunes of the Chiefs to the point where they will have a costly powerhouse defense and be unable to score enough points.

I guess when you are the dynasty team of the league they kick your tires a little more incessantly. And I'm sure there were multiple authors - we just drew the more thorough one who really tried to do his homework.

To be honest, I get more and more of a feeling that these were penned a long time ago, if they don't mention Santonio's off the field issues and Porter's contract demands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye