PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shawn Springs released [Update: Failed Physical]; Ted Larsen signs deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shawn Springs released; Ted Larsen signs deal

I think he may also have a hand in excising the Congressional Cancer Arlen Specter...

Buh-BYE, Arlen.

Was this really necessary?

Anyway, see you later Springs. You were thoroughly unimpressive in your time here.

Re: Springs Cut, Larsen signed.

How can it clear cap space if there's no cap?!?
He's talking about the internal cap since he works for the Patriots :)

Last edited:

The Patriots have been quick to remedy mistakes of the past 2 seasons in player personnel. If these players have been locker room problems, it's better to get them away from the organizations asap and not allow their ways to rub off on the rookies.

Can't say I am displeased at this news but thanks for trying Springs.

Don Tuna: I knew Sparano was going to have to go through all this and Mangini... well, Mangini was... But I, I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family. And I refused to be a fool dancing on the strings held by all of those big shots. That's my life, I don't apologize for that. But I always thought that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the strings. Commissioner Belichick, Owner Belichick, something.

Belichick: Another pezzonovante.

Don Tuna: Well, there wasn't enough time, Bill. There just wasn't enough time.

I knew this was coming.

How can it clear cap space if there's no cap?!?

Pardon the misstatement. THIS season, it clears "budget" space. ;)

Ken - can you name (even) one "big WR" Springs shut down in the Red Zone last year? (and this is not a rhetorical question).

I can't remember any specifically, but somehow I can infer he must have had SOME success, given that the Pats defense ranked 6th in scoring. Evidently he was keeping SOMEONE out of the endzone.

This makes sense. There is no reason to have him on the roster right now. It clears cap space. It allows the Pats to look all off season at what they have. Finally if it comes to pass that the Pats get some injuries at CB then resigning Springs to a vet minimum deal in August makes a lot of sense.

Don't forget that Springs is a good match up in red zone D against big WRs....and there are A LOT of big WRs in the division this year. 35 year old, 13 year vets don't need to participate in EVERY single OTA and practice. I think in certain situations Springs can be a productive player with the Pats, and if he ultimately ISN'T resigned, then it will tell me that BB is happy with his younger, though smaller guys.

They've always kept a big vet cornerback to supplement their 5'9"-5'10" corners.

However, their starting corner Bodden is 6'1".

good question.

what we DO know is Fredo is in Cleveland

And, Tony "bag o donuts" is in NY.

Cutting Springs clears EXACTLY zero additional cap room compared with cutting him after the end of the season.

He received a $2.7M signing bonus last year as part of his three year deal. That means the cap hit will be approx $1.8M this year. He also had a salary of $2.25M so his total cap hit this year was going to be approx $3.15M ($2.25 + 900K). Cutting him now creates around $1.35M (3.15 - 1.8) of cap room for 2010.

If the team wants to bring him back they'll probably try to do so at the vet min. I don't recall the specifics but the vet min only counts for something like $450K against the cap. If they do that they'll end up with the same player and around $900K in savings.

Last edited:

I've always hated the term overpay. Other teams overpay, we never overpay. Hey, there's a cap and teams have different priorities. Some teams are just dumb.

That being said, Shawn Springs? We overpaid...:bricks:

He received a $2.7M signing bonus last year as part of his three year deal. That means the cap hit will be approx $1.8M this year. He also had a salary of $2.25M so his total cap hit this year was going to be approx $3.15M ($2.25 + 900K). Cutting him now creates around $1.35M (3.15 - 1.8) of cap room for 2010.

If the team wants to bring him back they'll probably try to do so at the vet min. I don't recall the specifics but the vet min only counts for something like $450K against the cap. If they do that they'll end up with the same player and around $900K in savings.

dude, you know there's no cap, right?

Re: Schefter: Shawn Springs released

lol...no kidding...as if this news is a revelation. :sleeping::sleeping:

I would say more than half in here thought Springs played decent and was a veteran presence on the team and thought he would stay.

Looks like CB is set unless some CB dumped in FA can beat Wilhite and Wheatley

I can't remember any specifically, but somehow I can infer he must have had SOME success, given that the Pats defense ranked 6th in scoring. Evidently he was keeping SOMEONE out of the endzone.

He appeared to do a good job vs. Andre Johnson during the final game of the reg. season, IIRC.

As for the timing of his release, I too am somewhat surprised by it. There seems to be no valid on-field reason for it; he was the 3rd-best CB at season's end, behind Bodden & Butler (which says more about the inability of Wheatley & Wilhite than it says about the ability of Springs). There also seems to be little financial reason for it; his 2011 salary could have been cleared much later in the year. Therefore, it does seem then that the primary reason for Spring's early release is to rid the locker room of any potential negative influences.

There are now 3 spots avail. on the current roster to sign U(D)FAs. I wouldn't mind if Bill used one of those spots on a younger (than Springs, at least) vet CB such as Fred Smoot, Anthony Henry, Ken Lucas, Frank Walker, or old friend Hank the Man Poteat.

And it's good to know that Bill would rather admit a(nother) mistake & release someone, than deny reality & keep an(other) over-paid stiff.

Re: Schefter: Shawn Springs released

Did anyone mention Locker Room cancer yet?

I see old has been covered. :)

Great point! He was one of the few who stood up for A. Thomas and the snowstorm incident. He had to go. Several here predicted this. There will be none of these types in the locker room this year.

Springs is gone. Moving forward, I like Ted Larsen who could be a very good inexpensive replacement for Koppen in a year or 2.

http://www.pigskinpaul.com/Pigskin_P...raft_Talk.html

Quote:
TED LARSEN/OC/N.C. STATE/6’2/305 compare to: JEFF SATURDAY/COLTS
Just like SATURDAY, I think LARSEN has a career in the NFL with the right team, because of his toughness and determination. Some of that toughness comes from his early years on the DL. He looks to be maxed out at his current weight, so he needs to get into a West Coast scheme, where he can make up for his lack of overall size with smarts and solid technique. In fact, I could see him being a late Rounder for the COLTS and being in a position to take over for SATURDAY in a season or two. He’s also similar to the PACKS’ SCOTT WELLS. RANK 215/ROUND 6

I like that a lot. Pats need some toughness at that position. Being compared to J. Saturday is a definite plus on this guy's side. This could turn out to be a great "value" pick. His height could be an advantage in lowering his pads to get leverage on taller/bigger D linemen. Words used such as "tough" and "determined" warm my heart!

His ability to play OG adds to his value. He is best known as a nasty run blocker but improved tremendously in pass blocking.

Draftnasty describes him as "relentless"; I'm liking that, too. More than 1 scout wrote that he never takes a play off.
Most draft gurus had him as the 3-5 ranked center...more 3's than 5's, after Pouncey and Tennant. A pre-draft 4th to 5th rounder.

His first year at C after switching from Dline, he earned the Richter award as NC State's best offensive lineman. Impressive.

He has had problems with high snaps, especially early in his first year at the position. He also had a bad one in the Senior Bowl that I remember but didn't realize it was his mistake.

He had private workouts with the Pats, Eagles, Falcons and Steelers.

http://www.buffalorange.com/showthre...Carolina-State
(from Draftscout)

Pass blocking: Capable shotgun and typical snapper. Struggled some with high snaps early in the season, but developed more consistency as he gained experience. Quick set up and balance. Bends at the knees and plays on the balls of his feet. Good lateral movement to mirror the defensive tackle. Knows what the defender is attempting to do due to his experience at the position. Good strength and balance to anchor against the bull rush. Improving recognition. Struggles at times to adjust to stunts and blitzes. Helps out the guard, but doesn't release soon enough to react to the blitz or loop.

Run blocking: Good initial quickness and upper-body strength to knock the defender off the ball. Good explosive initial pop, but must do a better job of sustaining. Allows his hands to slip down the jersey and subsequently get ripped through by the defender. Improving with his hand placement and is generally able to knock his opponent out of the lane, as he keeps his legs chugging with quick power steps. Flashes some nastiness as a run blocker. Looks to knock the defender to the ground with an intimidating pancake when he senses the advantage. Good quickness to get out to the second level and has the body control to adjust and hit the moving target.

Pulling/trapping: Not asked to pull from his center position much in this offense, but has experience at guard and has the short-area quickness and agility to do so. Developing as a trap blocker. Good lateral quickness for the down block. Good burst and body control for the cut block, but doesn't utilize this technique often.

Initial Quickness: Quick first step in reverse in pass protection to catch the defensive tackle. Explosive burst and initial pop in the running game are among his most impressive skills. Can knock the defender out of the hole to create running lanes.

Downfield: Surprisingly efficient footwork in getting to the second level. Takes good angles to meet the linebacker in space. Good body control to adjust to the moving target.

Intangibles: Former defensive tackle who made the switch to center at his coaches' request. Earned degree in History in May of 2009. Recipient of the team's Jim Ritcher Award as the Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman after his first season after the conversion from defensive tackle. Gives good effort on every snap. High intensity player.

I agree that this was an attitude cut.

There is no way Shawn Springs is the 81st player on the roster. As a recent starter, he is more valuable than a Terrence Johnson at CB, or an Australian rugby player, or a 10th DT like Amon Gordon.

Further, cutting him costs $900K against the 2011 cap, if there is one. His salary of $2.2mm for a part-time starting corner wasn't overly expensive.

This does seem to set up a competition between Wheatley and Arrington for a fifth CB slot.
More valuable?..Now maybe..but what is his future??? All downhill and add in an attitude and...I would take a Terrence Johnson who COULD have an upside that is miles ahead of what Spring's will be. OBVIOUSLY the team is happy with the CBs they have now...I think THAT was another reason why Springs would be cut. I like his height in battling taller receivers..but..they need something MORE than that. He also is NOT a STer...Johnson will do anything the team wishes. I think Johnson will surprise..maybe NOT ON the 53..but the PSquad..that is IF he makes the college to pro adjustments that all find hard.

Last edited:

This release had everything to do with Spring not reaching the high expectations for him set by his over sized contract.

As for why they did it now? They probably knew they were going to cut him after the draft so out of respect for the vet he gets the first chop so he can have extra time to find a new home. There's about 8 or 9 more chops that need to happen when the rookies sign.

dude, you know there's no cap, right?

Of course there is.

A self imposed cap with nearly every team. Some teams are using last years number for an approximate budget ceiling. The Pats are not spending wildly as with nearly every team out there.

I've always hated the term overpay. Other teams overpay, we never overpay. Hey, there's a cap and teams have different priorities. Some teams are just dumb.

That being said, Shawn Springs? We overpaid...:bricks:

Adalius Thomas was over paid too.

IIRC, Colvin cut a fat hog too and never seemed worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft