PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shawn Springs released [Update: Failed Physical]; Ted Larsen signs deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Springs Cut, Larsen signed.

As for the timing of his release, I too am somewhat surprised by it. There seems to be no valid on-field reason for it; he was the 3rd-best CB at season's end, behind Bodden & Butler (which says more about the inability of Wheatley & Wilhite than it says about the ability of Springs). There also seems to be little financial reason for it; his 2011 salary could have been cleared much later in the year. Therefore, it does seem then that the primary reason for Spring's early release is to rid the locker room of any potential negative influences.

...or that, as so often, we fans just don't know the full story. Reiss is now reporting that Springs failed a physical:
Source: Failed physical for Springs - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I've always hated the term overpay. Other teams overpay, we never overpay. Hey, there's a cap and teams have different priorities. Some teams are just dumb.

That being said, Shawn Springs? We overpaid...:bricks:

I see it this way: we overpaid for Springs and underpaid for Bodden, so all in all the effort to patch the CB corps with some veterans and some $$ worked out ok.

There is a vast difference between a self-imposed budget, a required cap, and those who simply use last year's cap. Of course there are also teams that do not spend anywhere near the "cap".

Of course there is.

A self imposed cap with nearly every team. Some teams are using last years number for an approximate budget ceiling. The Pats are not spending wildly as with nearly every team out there.

Of course there is.

A self imposed cap with nearly every team. Some teams are using last years number for an approximate budget ceiling. The Pats are not spending wildly as with nearly every team out there.

Thats called a budget, not a cap. And I really doubt that the cap-amortization of a Signing Bonus paid out last year affects this year's budget at all.

Of course, Ian Rapoport picks it up from "a source" that Springs failed a physical at the exact minute I post it:

Twitter

RapSheet

Interesting to note about Shawn Springs: He failed a physical recently, a source said, which led to release. He had knee issues. 4 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Turns out Mike Reiss beat us both by over an hour:

May 19 9:20 AM ET
By Mike Reiss

One aspect of the release of veteran cornerback Shawn Springs that was not covered here yesterday, and came to light in the Boston Globe today, is Springs' health.

Springs told the Globe that he underwent knee surgery in January and that he was healthy enough to participate in the team's organized team activities next week.

However, Springs failed the team's physical, according to a league source, which might have been a factor in his release.

Last edited:
I thought you couldn't be released for injury reasons without an injury settlement.

I thought you couldn't be released for injury reasons without an injury settlement.

No, failed physicals are different.

Of course there is.

Sure but its irrelevant to calculate the cap number and unamortized bonus, etc.
Whatever his salary was is gone, whether the impact on the cap would have been more or less is pointless.

No, failed physicals are different.

How is it different? If he injures his knee, you give him a physical, and say your knee didn't heal, we cut you...............how is that different?

I know you can stop a trade, or not sign a free agent due to a failed physical, but I'm wondering what the whole story is here.

...or that, as so often, we fans just don't know the full story. Reiss is now reporting that Springs failed a physical:

Interesting.
The Pats release Springs because they claim that he failed a physical, yet Springs claims that he would've been able to participate fully in team OTAs next week.
Hmmm...

Is it possible that Springs is re-signed to a one-year, vet minimum deal whenever the FO believes that he is indeed fully recovered from his knee surgery? I suppose, but I kinda doubt it somehow.

And it's good to know that Bill would rather admit a(nother) mistake & release someone, than deny reality & keep an(other) over-paid stiff.

Pretty much this. Springs did not impress. He was alright, but he wasn't on the level of a Bodden. If he was making trouble in the lockerroom, then I'm glad we got rid of him. It's time to change the guard, dumping Adalius, Springs, and Watson is a sign of that. Let the new kids come into an environment where they strive to succeed, not make excuses for failures. I've NEVER seen a Patriots team in the BB era give up that many 4th quarter leads as in 2009. It was pathetic.

Springs did one good play, that play against AJ in the endzone. That was beast. Other than that, I won't cry to see him gone.

I see it this way: we overpaid for Springs and underpaid for Bodden, so all in all the effort to patch the CB corps with some veterans and some $$ worked out ok.

That really was tongue in cheek. To me, you decide what players you like and what needs you have before the business end comes in.

Whether they picked up Welker or paid a second, they didn't underpay or overpay, they decided Welker would help, and the going price was a #2.

If there were a lot of similar slot receivers it would be different.

Players aren't interchangeable parts, some have unique qualities and teams have needs some years that put them in situations where their demand is more than the supply of that type of player.

Personnel = decide what players you need, needs to fill. Business = making a plan to spend what you have to, save in areas where value is similar and you don't have to.

A bad decision, is a bad decision regardless of the cost. Obviously, if you're clueless, you make bad and costly decisions all the time.

I thought you couldn't cut a person due to injury. How is this different than that? Anybody know for sure?

How is it different? If he injures his knee, you give him a physical, and say your knee didn't heal, we cut you...............how is that different?

I know you can stop a trade, or not sign a free agent due to a failed physical, but I'm wondering what the whole story is here.

Teams release players for failed physicals all the time, even after they've spent the year on IR. Take Oscar Lua for example; he was on IR for all of 2007 and was released after the season because of a failed season-ending physical. That's different than being injured and getting released immediately with an injury settlement; it's not like players take physicals once a week. They're more or less checkpoints.

Last edited:
Re: Shawn Springs released; Ted Larsen signs deal

I thought you couldn't cut a person due to injury. How is this different than that? Anybody know for sure?

I believe you have to distinguish mid-season obligations to pay an injured player for a season's work vs. between-season obligations to pick up the next year of a contract.

Re: Shawn Springs released; Ted Larsen signs deal

I believe you have to distinguish mid-season obligations to pay an injured player for a season's work vs. between-season obligations to pick up the next year of a contract.

Thanks, that's what I was trying to get at.

Deleted post

You guys are going to war arguing about my post? Save your energies. You are correct, I momentarily forgot that there is no cap this year. But the general point that the move saves money still holds true. Let it rest.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team bring him back at the vet min if/when he's able to pass his physical.

Last edited by a moderator:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team bring him back at the vet min if/when he's able to pass his physical.

I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey