Sean Payton named AP Coach of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
PAYTON RUNS AWAY WITH COACH OF YEAR AWARD

Sean Payton, a former whipping boy for guys like Bill Parcells and Jim Fassel, has been named the AP Coach of the Year in his first season as a head coach.

Payton led the Saints back from a disastrous 3-13 campaign in 2005, which featured no games in the Superdome due to Hurricane Katrina, to a 10-6 mark and their first eye playoff bye.

Payton received 44 of 50 votes. Eric Mangini of the Jets was second in the voting, with three votes. Marty Schottenheimer of the Chargers was third with two, and Jeff Fisher of the Titans received one.

Good for him. He's done a great job with the Saints, IMO. He deserves it.

Poor Mangina....not.

And by the way it really amazes me that in the NFC you can go 10-6 and get a first round bye.

Well, that choice was obvious -- who amongst us predicted that the Saints would win that division? He certainly deserves it -- as does his city. The only thing that disturbs me is that it seems to validate the Saints' ownership.

Good for him. He's been a great addition to me NFC team. The Saints have always been the only other team I can watch, albeit not as closely or with asmuch passion as the Pats. Hopefully they go deep into the playoffs... then lose to us in the Super Bowl ;)

Payton should send a thank you note to Aaron Brooks - for no longer being on the Saints.

Hard to argue. I suspect nobody picked No higher than #3.

But watch out, Sean: didn't Jim Mora and **** Jauron both lose their jobs the year after they won coach of the year?

(In baseball, there was even a coach of the year get fired this year.)

Mangini deserved it more. N.O. has Brees (second in MVP voting), NYJ have Pennington, N.O. has McCallister & Bush, the Jets have Barlow & Washington (a fine rookie RB), N.O. plays in the NFC, the Jets played in the toughest division in football, also the best Conference. Mangini obviously had less weapons and talent to work with than Payton, and wound up with the same record. Nothing against Payton, but IMO Mangini deserves it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes