PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Kevin Peterson, CB

Well:

1. Let me just say that I think you are undervaluing him personally although not by much, I think he's a borderline day 2 to day 3 guy.

2. He's the best tackling CB in the draft as far as I'm concerned.

3. Which game did you watch him in? In the Ole Miss ball game there were a couple of issues in terms of schematic understanding. However, I don't think they were on him but on the safeties. By all accounts he's a smart guy.

4. My original thinking was that he's an ideal cover 3 corner but he probably doesn't have the size for that. I still think he's basically Malcolm Butler as an outside receiver.

5. However, I agree that nickel is his best position. I think he'd be an outstanding nickel for us, primarily because of his open field tackling ability.

Would have liked you to like him a bit more but it each to their own. Thank you for doing the write up.

You are right about the tackling. Of the guys I have watched so far, he has been the best. Besides the cutups on breakdown, I watched the Oklahoma, Iowa State, and the Texas Tech game. I watched the Ole Miss game live and I didn't have any huge issues in that game with him except his struggles against the bigger receivers. His coverage was good in that game, he just could not get around guys to make plays.

I couldn't find the right wording for the actual report, but I wrote down I really like everything he does from the line of scrimmage until 10 yards out. Footwork, movement, hips, change of direction, and his ability and willingness to come up and tackle all got plus marks from me.
Something seemed to happen after that though, he was close to receivers but they still made plays, he lunged at guys as they made cuts and for a guy with that speed to end up chasing as much as he did bothered me.
I think in Nickel he could be very good, he has the movement skills to stick with quicker guys. I agree on your comment about his size and playing in cover 3.
I think he will do well at the Senior Bowl in one on ones and I think he will test well at the Combine which could move him up and if he is drafted end of day 2 I wouldn't be surprised because of the position, but I just can't give him a Day 2 grade.
We do typically see guys in the same light, so a little disagreement makes it more fun.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back