PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Pioli interview - on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FYI - on WEEI right now

Why not? If the PS is included, then I believe there's room at the inn for everyone.

Shouldn't we receive at least a 4th-rounder for the Vinitraitor?

Why would the Pats get at least a 4th for Vinatraitor? His contract was something in the range of 2.25 million last year. That is a 6th round pick.

With 3 or 4 6th-rounders, I would try to package 2 of them for a 5th-rounder, to replace the one we threw away (again). If we do receive a comp 5th-rounder, then a couple of those 6th/7th-rounders could be dealt for 5th/6ths in 2008.

Trades take 2 sides to happen. The Pats can want to trade all they want, but if no one is willing, it won't happen.

I listen to all of this convoluted press 'information' and then see the Pioli comments. And I ask myself: "Self, what do you think about all of this?" And Self says to me, "Well, how many of the 'early' press reports on all of these type of situations turn out to be correct?". And I say to self: "Gosh, Self, almost all of them get it wrong, many times even radically wrong as we find out when the final information comes out". And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "And what is the track record of what are admitted to be "heard" or just stated as rumors or speculation?". And i say: "Gosh, Self, much of that turns out to just be nonsense". And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "How do you think a GM will fare if other GM's think he is trying to manipulate them through press 'leaks'?" And I say to Self: "Gosh, Self, I would think that before very long a GM that operated like that would have a pretty tough time getting much cooperation in making deals with other GMs." And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "Well, do you think a GM could convince other GMs that he wasn't trying to manipulate things in the press by saying in an interview that there wasn't anything like that going on?" And I say: "Gosh, Self. No, I don't think that would have any effect at all. Wouldn't be much point in even saying something like that. Might even p**s the other GMs off more than they already were." And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "If you are a GM who is interested in a player that is in restricted free agent status with another team and you talk to the player/his rep and they say they would be interested in signing with you, which do you think you would do. Carefully spend a lot of effort working out a tricky offer sheet that would pay the player more than you really want to and figure out poison pills that would ace out the other team and then call some press guy and leak information - or would you just pick up the phone and ask the other GM if he'd be interested in trading the guy to you for the restricted agent pick plus a little sweetener?". And I say: "Gosh, Self, I think, especially if I were kind of busy, that I'd just do the simple thing first and call the other GM and see what he thinks about a trade." And Self says to me: "How ABOUT that."

And Self asks me: "Any more questions?". And I say to Self: "Gosh, Self, doesn't seem to be very complicated after all." And Self says to me: "How ABOUT that."

Always enjoy talking to mySelf.

Dear Self: Paragraph breaks are a good thing! ;0)

Re: FYI - on WEEI right now

Why not? If the PS is included, then I believe there's room at the inn for everyone.

Shouldn't we receive at least a 4th-rounder for the Vinitraitor?

With 3 or 4 6th-rounders, I would try to package 2 of them for a 5th-rounder, to replace the one we threw away (again). If we do receive a comp 5th-rounder, then a couple of those 6th/7th-rounders could be dealt for 5th/6ths in 2008.

Comp picks can't be traded.

oops already posted :)

Last edited:
Translations:

1. We talked with Dillon's camp about a restructuring and his future role, and found out the sides were way far apart. So we just cut him quickly.

2. Robert Kraft didn't want us to go the poison pill route. We didn't mind accomodating him at all, because at worst it cost very little to comply. If anything, this reminds me how lucky we are to have an owner who interferes so little.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference