PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scott Pioli interview - on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: FYI - on WEEI right now

Brief recap of what I caught:

We never talked about yet alone crafted or executed an offer sheet for Welker. He has no idea where these rumors come from like the $38M offer sheet. He called the players agent once FA commenced to gauge his contract demands and interest in playing here, and then after determining those he called Randy Mueller and asked if they would be interested in talking about a trade for the player - and the deal was done within hours of that call.

Considering that the rumors got the first five years of the deal right, I call BS.

Of course, if Kraft's goal was to claim that the Patriot's organization always takes the "high road", I suppose its Pioli's job to say that he never considered the "low road".

UPDATE: In the Reiss version of the interview, he never actually contradicts the published version of the events, he just tries to shift the emphasis. He is still deliberately misleading though.

Last edited:

He later said, a 7th, 2 6ths, and the Givens pick is uncertain because of his lack of playing time due to injury.

I thought the compensatory picks were decided based on the size of the contract and post-season awards and not playing time...........??
He'd know better than I....

The Welker process was interesting as well. We had "poison pill" scribes falling all over each other, we had Shefter from NFL stating that the "owners had to step in," and we had all sorts of misinformation. The frenzy started once Welker was confirmed visiting NE.

I don't know, the frenzy seemed to start well before Welker was confirmed visiting NE. There was all sorts of talk about targeting Welker in the press, poison pill offers, numbers, well before we heard he was definitely coming. I assume those articles would have said: Welker is scheduled to visit NE tomorrow, to review a $38mm offer... rather than just the rumors about the offer.

Maybe it was all made up. But they certainly got the Pats significant interest in Welker right.

Brief recap of what I caught:

Scott anticipates a 7th, 2 6ths and perhaps a 4th because while Given's contract was big his playing time wasn't due to injury.

Which is exactly what some of us have been projecting.

Probably a fourth for Givens.
Sixth for Ashworth
Sixth for Vinatieri
Seventh for Davis

Caldwell and Fauria cancel each other out.
Mitchell and Chatham cancel each other out.
Dwight would get another seventh, but the max is four comp picks.

I thought the compensatory picks were decided based on the size of the contract and post-season awards and not playing time...........??
Pioil stated that the formula has been tweaked and playing time is now factored in.

Last edited:

He said "as of then we will have ten picks" the way he said it led me to believe that they will trade some still.

No way ten rookies make this team.

Why not? If the PS is included, then I believe there's room at the inn for everyone.

Shouldn't we receive at least a 4th-rounder for the Vinitraitor?

With 3 or 4 6th-rounders, I would try to package 2 of them for a 5th-rounder, to replace the one we threw away (again). If we do receive a comp 5th-rounder, then a couple of those 6th/7th-rounders could be dealt for 5th/6ths in 2008.

Adam's projections have been factoring in playing time.

He said on KFFL that we will have this year's projections by next week.

Last edited:

Why not? If the PS is included, then I believe there's room at the inn for everyone.

Shouldn't we receive at least a 4th-rounder for the Vinitraitor?

With 3 or 4 6th-rounders, I would try to package 2 of them for a 5th-rounder, to replace the one we threw away (again). If we do receive a comp 5th-rounder, then a couple of those 6th/7th-rounders could be dealt for 5th/6ths in 2008.

Adam V. simply wasn't paid enough for a 4th. I remain hopeful that he could merit a 5th, but 6th seems to be the safe bet.

Adam V. simply wasn't paid enough for a 4th. I remain hopeful that he could merit a 5th, but 6th seems to be the safe bet.

That bastard...

Now that I've read the transcript, it's clear that Pioli was a little cagey on the Welker thing. I believe he's telling the truth that no offer sheet was "executed" and that no such offer was ever communicated to the Dolphin's front office by the Patriots.

But that certainly doesn't mean that the Patriots did not put together a package in theory and communicate it (or the poison pill idea) to Welker's representation or to Welker directly with the expectation that it would get back to the Dolphins either through Welker or the press, at which point the Dolphins would understand a second round as the floor of what the patriots could be expected to give if they decided to go the poison pill route.

So while it may have been slightly misreported, I think "urban legend" is way too strong.

I'm also equally skeptical about the whole Moss thing. I think the Moss interest was floated in time to coincide with Stallworth's visit to try to get Stallworth to think he had competition. Once again, I am highly suspicious that the press made this up out of whole cloth.

You may be forgetting that comp picks aren't tradeable.

You may be forgetting that comp picks aren't tradeable.

But we could trade our own, plus the one we received from AZ.

Now that I've read the transcript, it's clear that Pioli was a little cagey on the Welker thing. I believe he's telling the truth that no offer sheet was "executed" and that no such offer was ever communicated to the Dolphin's front office by the Patriots.

But that certainly doesn't mean that the Patriots did not put together a package in theory and communicate it (or the poison pill idea) to Welker's representation or to Welker directly with the expectation that it would get back to the Dolphins either through Welker or the press, at which point the Dolphins would understand a second round as the floor of what the patriots could be expected to give if they decided to go the poison pill route.

So while it may have been slightly misreported, I think "urban legend" is way too strong.

I'm also equally skeptical about the whole Moss thing. I think the Moss interest was floated in time to coincide with Stallworth's visit to try to get Stallworth to think he had competition. Once again, I am highly suspicious that the press made this up out of whole cloth.

Step1: Get the player and agent on board. Result: Demonstrates to other teams interested in presenting an offer sheet that the player has a destination already in mind.

Step2: Float contract (offer) dynamics through the media. Result: Setting the bar high scares off other teams and creates anxiety within the ranks of controlling team.

Step3: Approach controlling team and present a superior draft pick compensation offer than the controlling team would be granted under the restricted designation. Result: And here is the key under this scenario...if accepted, the controlling team never gets an opportunity to see or match the alleged contract.

So technically, the Pats never "executed" an offer sheet, but they created an anxiety level through leaks (I'm guessing) that resulted in suppressing other suitors while disguising true contract intentions that may or may not have been matched by the Dolphins. By jumping on the 2 draft pick offer immediately, the Dolphins chose not examine the true (phantom)offer sheet...and that is why if you ask the Patriots, they tell you there never was an offer sheet.

Last edited:

Ha! The press never "makes things up." They count on "reliable sources."

Reliable sources . . . That's the most misused term in media.

My recommendation, stick with those media sources you've learned to trust. You won't find many baseless reports coming from them. It takes awhile, but there are a few out there. Just keep looking. The worst, like our local plagiarizer, eventually lose their credibility over time, or they clean up their acts.

I listen to all of this convoluted press 'information' and then see the Pioli comments. And I ask myself: "Self, what do you think about all of this?" And Self says to me, "Well, how many of the 'early' press reports on all of these type of situations turn out to be correct?". And I say to self: "Gosh, Self, almost all of them get it wrong, many times even radically wrong as we find out when the final information comes out". And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "And what is the track record of what are admitted to be "heard" or just stated as rumors or speculation?". And i say: "Gosh, Self, much of that turns out to just be nonsense". And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "How do you think a GM will fare if other GM's think he is trying to manipulate them through press 'leaks'?" And I say to Self: "Gosh, Self, I would think that before very long a GM that operated like that would have a pretty tough time getting much cooperation in making deals with other GMs." And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "Well, do you think a GM could convince other GMs that he wasn't trying to manipulate things in the press by saying in an interview that there wasn't anything like that going on?" And I say: "Gosh, Self. No, I don't think that would have any effect at all. Wouldn't be much point in even saying something like that. Might even p**s the other GMs off more than they already were." And Self says: "How ABOUT that." And Self asks me: "If you are a GM who is interested in a player that is in restricted free agent status with another team and you talk to the player/his rep and they say they would be interested in signing with you, which do you think you would do. Carefully spend a lot of effort working out a tricky offer sheet that would pay the player more than you really want to and figure out poison pills that would ace out the other team and then call some press guy and leak information - or would you just pick up the phone and ask the other GM if he'd be interested in trading the guy to you for the restricted agent pick plus a little sweetener?". And I say: "Gosh, Self, I think, especially if I were kind of busy, that I'd just do the simple thing first and call the other GM and see what he thinks about a trade." And Self says to me: "How ABOUT that."

And Self asks me: "Any more questions?". And I say to Self: "Gosh, Self, doesn't seem to be very complicated after all." And Self says to me: "How ABOUT that."

Always enjoy talking to mySelf.

Always enjoy talking to mySelf.

There's some truth in what you (and your Self) have to say. There is also some prescribed medication available for you (and you Self) as well.

Which is exactly what some of us have been projecting.

Probably a fourth for Givens.
Sixth for Ashworth
Sixth for Vinatieri
Seventh for Davis

Caldwell and Fauria cancel each other out.
Mitchell and Chatham cancel each other out.
Dwight would get another seventh, but the max is four comp picks.

You are correct in that the max is 4 compensatory selections, however, the league can upgrade the selections at their discretion if a team has more than 4 like the Patriots. It also depends upon the total number of extra picks given out. The max is 32. If compensatory picks don't equal 32, the league gives supplemental picks to the teams with the worst record.

I think we get a 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th picks ... look for our remaining regular picks to be up for trade.

Playing time DOES figure into the equation. Its just not normally a large part of the equation. It can mean the difference on borderline contracts, though. I don't think that Given's contract was borderline. I thought it fell squarely in the middle of the range for 4th round picks. Its why I said I expected a 4th, 2-6ths and a 7th for comp picks last September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes