Not open for further replies.

Big Bucks

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Scott Pioli :)

Last edited:
Re: FYI - on WEEI right now

Absolutley no offer sheet for Welker :D

Randy Moss - He is under contract with Oakland we don't talk about other teams players under contract.

We expect another 4 picks from compensatory = 10 picks in total

Expect 4th - 6th

Donte Stallworth is signed... No im kidding on that one...

We expect another 4 picks from compensatory = 10 picks in total

Expect 4th - 6th
He later said, a 7th, 2 6ths, and the Givens pick is uncertain because of his lack of playing time due to injury.

Said Corey never asked to be released and that basically his agent was full of crap. Also there never was an offer sheet for Welker...a straight trade the whole time. The thinking on the seventh rounder was that they will get another a few picks later and 2 sixths.

He said "as of then we will have ten picks" the way he said it led me to believe that they will trade some still.

No way ten rookies make this team.

reading between the lines...(in other words, pioli didn't say any of this, but this is what i gather he would say if he could based on his "urban legend" citations on some of these issues)

- there is no interest in randy moss

- dillon was asked to restructure his deal or he would be cut. he refused, and he and his people put the "retirement/request for release" spin on it

- dillon was asked to restructure his deal or he would be cut. he refused, and he and his people put the "retirement/request for release" spin on it
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Said Corey never asked to be released and that basically his agent was full of crap. Also there never was an offer sheet for Welker...a straight trade the whole time. The thinking on the seventh rounder was that they will get another a few picks later and 2 sixths.

He said "as of then we will have ten picks" the way he said it led me to believe that they will trade some still.

No way ten rookies make this team.

And everyone was worried about draft picks. :rolleyes: We gave away two and we are getting 4 back. Piolichick know what they are doing.

also mentioned that they had tradinally had big FA sigings and 2000 it was 17 starters.
said it not a big deal

now how may randy moss threads will see or that matter that this BB last run or that dillion is retiring .

And this makes sense. Why have a player whose contributions led to the success of the team leave with acrimony. The Pats allowed Dillon's agent to put whatever spin they wanted, and then issued a statement recognizing CD's positive contributions.

Class, and many will never realize this about this organization.

Brief recap of what I caught:

We never talked about yet alone crafted or executed an offer sheet for Welker. He has no idea where these rumors come from like the $38M offer sheet. He called the players agent once FA commenced to gauge his contract demands and interest in playing here, and then after determining those he called Randy Mueller and asked if they would be interested in talking about a trade for the player - and the deal was done within hours of that call.

They understand giving up a 2nd impacts the draft, but they have 6 picks left and between now and the draft we anticipate 4 more compensatory picks. Scott anticipates a 7th, 2 6ths and perhaps a 4th because while Given's contract was big his playing time wasn't due to injury.

We love Corey but it was just time for a number of reasons to head in different directions. Corey did not ask to be released, whether his agent chose to spin it that way, we released him after having a good long talk.

On Asante the decision on persuing a LT deal vs. the tag involves gauging more than the bottom line like what the player really wants, is he happy here will be considered. It's not just a bottom line decision. Not sure what that meant. Could mean if the bottom line of the deal matters more to the player we decide to facilitate that in the end (i.e. if he balks at playing under a tag).

They tried to ask him about the Moss rumor but he said they simply will not discuss a player under contract with another team.

RE: Dillon

I mean, if he demanded his release and we had to take the cap hit anyway, why not trade him out of the division for a bucket of balls like Denver did with Plummer? Isn't that the smart thing to do?

That's why I think the decisions to release started with NE. they respect corey and felt bad about the situation so they did the right thing, brought him in and told him what the deal was. he probably originally felt like that was probably good enough reason to hang em up and then his agent probably talked him into at least seeing what happened in free agency and then deciding and the whole "demand for release" story was put out there.

And this makes sense. Why have a player whose contributions led to the success of the team leave with acrimony. The Pats allowed Dillon's agent to put whatever spin they wanted, and then issued a statement recognizing CD's positive contributions.

Class, and many will never realize this about this organization.

Here is a question. When other GMs call the Pats, do BB/Pioli explain the facts of the release, or do they keep all info in house. Pioli coming out and offering details of his release really surprised me and leads me to believe GMs are more open amongst their peers.

Can a mod put 'Scott Pioli interview' in the title please

EDIT - I just changed it :)

Last edited:

The bottom line on the poison pill with Welker is that without the threat of a poison pill, I don't think the deal gets done. It was the threat of it happening that facilitated the deal, and the media didn't simply just make it all up. I'm sure he's telling the truth about whether there was an offer sheet or not. And I also am willing to believe that the poison pill offer sheet concept did not come from the patriot's office directly. But either through the agent or some other "leaked" channel, it got out there and it got the deal done.

I'm willing to believe the press is sloppy. I'm willing to believe that little things get picked up so that a single item can be repeated enough to make it seem like there are multiple sources. But this thing was way too specific and the timing was too perfect to make me ever believe the press simply manufactured it out of whole cloth.

The Welker process was interesting as well. We had "poison pill" scribes falling all over each other, we had Shefter from NFL stating that the "owners had to step in," and we had all sorts of misinformation. The frenzy started once Welker was confirmed visiting NE.

Pioli called Miami's GM and cut the deal.

Now, does anyone still take this Moss to NE thing seriously???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes