PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scenario, answer honestly please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't even put myself in the "I would"/"I wouldn't" mindset.

I'd like to think not, but it's not my world. Maybe I would. But not everybody would, and there are known penalties for those who do.

I mean, I am as "understanding" of Rodney as I am of Merriman.

If it's cheating, it's cheating, whether you are a young guy trying to dominate the league from the get-go, or an older guy trying to come back.

It either IS or IS NOT something for the league to stamp out. I never got on much of a soapbox about it before, be it Bonds, Merriman, or whoever (oh and yes, HGH may as well be steroids, if you ask me.)

But basically point is, I believe it is something to stamp out. This has to be part of it, if it's one of our guys that gets busted. As Rodney said, no excuses.

If that's what it took, Rodney might be just one more injury from the end of the line... and I don't mind that a fan favorite might have to leave the game sooner.

These guys don't owe us that screwed up of a mindset, of getting on these substances. If it's a matter of "heal fast or be cut," it's going to be the same story elsewhere as well. My guess is with Rodney it's not the money driving it, or the couple more years on the field, it's the game & the winning.

So what can I say? I AM like a Bonds fan or a Merriman fan in a way.

I mean, I don't say "It's no big deal." I say "Do the crime, do the time" (a 4 week suspension.) I also say boot his ass if there's any kind of pattern.

But I also say I understand totally that I am no better... only that even the weakest (not that Rodney is in any way "morally weak" in general...) but even the weakest are strengthened when uncertaintly of outcome is removed.

That's a fancy way to say that Rodney might be a fantastic "high character guy" who got busted his first time out -- doesn't matter, from that perspective. The game's bigger than him. He's no longer a high-character guy. His record's got a blot.

I hope he spends the rest of his career clean, and this is a one-time, really hugely embarassing eff-up.

I also hope (and actually, I think this is the case,) that it's about love of the game rather than a need for the money.

Dude, if it's about love of the game... well, just love it a little less. Especially when Dr. Feelgood is around. Maybe you recover a little slower now.

Maybe you don't recover fast enough for the Pats anymore.

Maybe you don't recover fast enough for the NFL anymore.

Then that's nature's way of telling you to go home.

Now don't get me wrong, you would be going with the love of every Pats fan who ever saw you pick off Satan Manning, or put a shoulder into a receiver across the middle. But if it/when it does come down to that? Don't do it again on our account. Let us whine and moan on our little fan boards til the cows come home... and just take off somewhere to catch some fish.

Now, if it IS about the money? Come on man. Less love, but same idea applies.

One caveat... I'd like to spend the morning crowing about how Rodney's different, splitting hairs, etc. Don't get me wrong... I just can't.

He did the crime... part of "doing the time" is that guys like us that WANT to sing his praises can't. Just can't, unless we're idiots. It's an awkward position.

HEY, Rodney, here is the deal: I will never know the physical pain you guys go through for the career, the glory, and yes, the money.

You might never get that guys making 25, 50, 100 grand a year... are WANTING to defend you, a multimillionaire trying to extend his career...but we can't. Just can't do it.

I don't want to make a big deal about it, and can't wait until posts touching on Rodney will be touching on a game-changing hit or interception. But right now, dude, that kind of sucks.

See you in 5 weeks.

PFnV

I would not do it or anything else wrong like that just for money. Any amount. That's the way I lived my career.

And my admiration to you, Wicked !
I would hate for anyone to force you to "do it or anything else wrong like that".

But why do so many find it so noble
to use force to forbid Rodney ... or anyone else ...
to take such measures to regain their health
as they alone - sovereigns of themselves - see fit?

I really hope we don't suddenly turn in to a bunch of Bonds sympathizers just because one of our favorite players has been caught.

No I wouldn't turn to HGH or any other PED's. It jeopardizes the integrity of the game - I like to think the sports I watch are played on natural gifts alone, as naive as that is.

Ditto.........

would I take it? I don't know, but it doesn't matter. Even if I did take it, it wouldn't make it right, and I think that is what you are ensinuating.

It's kind of like the Sammy Sosa corked bat situation. After he got caught, there were articles that corking a bat doesn't really affect hitting a baseball. Well, that doesn't matter, because whether it helps or not, Sosa knowingly used a corked bat to gain a competitive advantage. He cheated, plain and simple.

Rodney took HGH knowing fully well that it was illegal. He cheated. No 'ifs', 'ands', or 'buts' about it.

So are you also insinuating that it is also okay to do wrong if you very confident that you will get away with it? That seems to be your implication based on the fact that the NFL doesn't test for HGH.

I'm sorry, but I guess I don't get with the purpose of this thread. Are we supposed to sympathize with Rodney. Why in this society do we always love to turn the criminals into victims?

I don't think Rodney did it for "the money" he did it because I beleive he wants to play so bad.

And I would do the same thing under that mind set.

I would not do it or anything else wrong like that just for money. Any amount. That's the way I lived my career.

That being said were I to be an older player like Rodney with the frustration of repeated injury and advancing playing age, I might at a time of personal weakness consider using HGH to return to the game I love as my playing years window dwindles. It's different from the greed option. And I would not lie about it if caught. I'd be embarrased and the worst punishment would be dealing with my tarnished self-perception and that of my family and close friends.

Bingo, and for a ball-busting, blowhard, you tend to get things right often.

"For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" - Matthew 16:26

Rodney offense, however, isn't even close to being beyond redemption for I don't think his offense was all the grave and also think the rules and attitudes concerning HGH need to be reexamined. Nevertheless, the current rules and ethics are what they are, and as such I would not violated them regardless of the gains.

Not exactly Rodney's situation, his competitiveness got the best of him, but a good question for all of us to think about as we pass judgement on Rodney.

You are offered a $12 million contract to play in the NFL. You are a god player, but using HGH will make you that much better and will pretty much help you dominate, $12 mill.

You will have a doctor oversee your HGH use, administer the drug and assure proper usage.

Plus, the kicker...... your league does not test for it.

Do you do it?

I say yes, hard to pass up. You possibly set your family up for generations.

I say YES!

The correct answer is: it depends on the drug. The government bans or makes illegal all kinds of very useful medical treatments for stupid cultural reasons (not to mention all kinds of victimless vices). Sports leagues are then forced to follow suit.

I know for sure I'm taking any drug that my best research and due diligence tells me will make me healthier, and I'll do that for zero money, hell, I'll pay money for the chance to do it.

The way you asked the question only a fool,saint or multimillionare would say no.
Hell Yes!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes