PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scar talks regarding team's personnel needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive line is not one of the greatest personnel needs but linebacker is? :confused:

He's probably projecting Spikes isn't coming back, and there's not much depth once Collins slides up there.

Despite the griping, the OL is pretty solid compared to many teams. If Wendell leaves, Connolly can slide over to center. Vollmer should be back at RT and Cannon can either fill RG if Wendell leaves, or add quality depth. Josh Kline also played well when called upon so there's still some more depth at the position than LB.

Hightower and Spikes are thumpers that are basically two down backs. They would be perfect if this were the 90's or even early 2000's but, in a pass happy league, they have no business on the field on third downs. Mayo can cover and Collins is an athlete that was trying to learn his way into a new system. But the team does have needs at LB, especially if Spikes is gone. DE needs an actual pass rushing rotation and there is a need at DT, so I agree with Scar.

Yes but if Mankins goes down, the entire O line will be a mess. So in my opinion OL is a greater need than linebacker.

Yes but if Mankins goes down, the entire O line will be a mess. So in my opinion OL is a greater need than linebacker.

OL is need, but that's a need that they can get on Days 2 and 3 in the draft. Ignore the LB position again and it's another year of getting picked apart underneath. Further, the LB position was nothing to write home about after Mayo went down.

We can't discount the use of disinformation - retirement or no retirement.

"Ooooh a glimpse of what the real thinking is!"

Could be true, could not be true... and all other front offices are thinking that too.

The shroud of mystery continues. Being a Pats fan I just wonder about other teams that think "Oh one of the coaches said we need linebackers," or whatever, then it immediately comes to pass. Or some teams saying "Well we'll be working pretty hard to get Player X in here" before the draft... that still happens on occasion.

So, could be real, could not be.

PFnV

Offensive line is not one of the greatest personnel needs but linebacker is? :confused:

I follow the Patriots cap closely and if you were to ask me while I was on vacation the names of the linebackers that were signed by the Patriots for the 2014 season I would not be able to name them all. Depth matters.

Hightower and Spikes are thumpers that are basically two down LB's. They would be perfect if this were the 90's or even early 2000's but, in a pass happy league, they have no business on the field on third downs. Mayo can cover and Collins is an athlete that was trying to learn his way into a new system. But the team does have needs at LB, especially if Spikes is gone. DE needs an actual pass rushing rotation and there is a need at DT, so I agree with Scar.

Ah, but how about TE? One would think that this is the Patriots most pressing need; the draft should be very, very interesting. Maybe BB is thinks that the path to a title is with the defense (something I agree with).

Doesn't matter how many Jimmy Graham-Gronks you put out there...if opposing D tackles are going to smash Brady's face in every passing play in under two seconds because the Pats are throwing substandard backups out there at center and guard then TE's and WR's really don't matter at all. We LOSE again in the playoffs. We need a MONSTER at center, not Wally Wimpleman.

We've just got to hit on our FA that we bring in as well as our draft picks. Seattle hit almost every move they made in those areas.

Scar points out what to him seems obvious. Our front seven needs help and that is our biggest need. It is not surprising that most posters have a very different analysis.

Things might be different if we knew that we can get major 2014 production from those injured in 2013 and from 2013 rookies. These players (these question marks) represent almost the entire front seven.

Even if this happens, where is our depth at linebacker? Who is the first player off the bench? Beauharnais?

There are clearly many questions to be answered with regard to the front seven, including our #4 and #5 linebackers.
======================

Personally, I will be very disappointed if the tight end situation isn't addressed. However, I think that it will, be the adding of at least one draft choice, perhaps a free agent, and perhaps a re-signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents