SBB's 8/2 practice report

Status
Not open for further replies.

signbabybrady

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Inside the stadium today. :D

Some guys were in our seats and we didn't force them to move.

The jumble tron is absoutely amazing. And then when they were doing red zone work some guy got in my way and I forgot to use it.

Anyway to the guys on the field

Welker took this one off (my guess because of the turf).

At one point the offense had to run a lap and BB met them at the end of it spoke to them and they seemed to turn it on after that doing pretty good in situational work.

Gronkowski impressed me again. He had a nice TD in red zone work right in the middle of the end zone. He gave a huge spike then brady ran down and did the leaping back to back celebration.

Tate made on hell of a catch in the corner of the endzone he looked in to me but the closest guy was signaling incomplete. Moss caught a touchdown after that.

Hernandez caught a TD and threw the ball into the crowd the security tried to get it back and the guy resisted....then they sent someone to get it. The crowd booed and Kraft came walking over with a ball to make up for it. This play was very interesting as it was trips right inside the ten and Moss, Edelman and Hernandez lined up right it was almost unfair the abilities and variation in talents in that group.

at one point in the practice Moss caught a real deep bomb with chung in coverage. I said to my father that I thought Chungs coverage was pretty good and that if it was a rook he may have made some contact and broke it up. Sure enough next play 3 yard out to Buddy Farnham and he was instantly tackled full speed by Chung.

Both Gerrard Warren and Damione Lewis seemed to be getting some decent pressure up the middle. Chung had one blitz where h flew in there and Taylor stepped up and met him pretty good with a blitz pick up but it was so close to the QB that Chung had to give up and I am not sure if he would have won the battle or not.

thats it from me until the weekend.

Brandon Tate impresses with catch. One of the highlights of the practice came in 11-on-11 work when Tom Brady dropped back to about his 40 yard-line and lofted a pass into the back right-hand corner of the end zone. Receiver Brandon Tate was covered by cornerback Devin McCourty and made a sensational catch, diving out of the back of the end zone and maintaining possession of the ball as he crashed to the ground. Tate was out of bounds, but that didn’t stop the offense from celebrating. Tate and Brady leaped in the air and “touched” backs.

Starting to get pretty excited about this guy.

I forgot to mention Butlers INT which came on a forced fourth down throw from hoyer.

Just got back from the stadium, quite a show from our young pups.

Let me start by saying that I can't wait to get my Aaron Hernandez jersey, this kid is the real deal. Smooth, hands of glue and always got open in the 11/11s as well as the individual drills. TB and Aaron are already getting the chemistry going to the point where Brady made it a point to run out to him and point out where he wanted him to be on one particular play, you can tell TB loves this kid and knows what he can bring to the O. You watch him run his patterns and he's really smooth, cuts in and out of his breaks quickly and fluidly and has that knack for finding the open seam, he's a natural, I cannot believe we stole this kid in the 4th round, highway robbery at it's finest. He was consistently lining up just off the tackle in the inner slot in many of the formations, what a weapon in the making we have.

Gronk looked good also, as mentioned, a nice tough grab in traffic in the redzone and a heavy spike after pay dirt. Our redzone options are numerous with these two kids, sprinkle these 2 in with Randy inside the 20 and we're deadly.

Chung looked great, as mentioned, he blitzed off the edge on one play and was in the backfield in nano-seconds. Without the the true edge rusher, it looks like BB is going to rescheme the D to reinvent our old safety, ILB and CB blitzes to get pressure and Chung will be a major part of this with his lightning quick jump and speed, he looked great.

And now Brandon Tate, WOW, as mentioned, that catch in the corner of the endzone was a big time play. Covered like a blanket, he took the deep corner pass in, kept his feet in and celebrated, it was a big time play and proved where he is at right now in his development. His deep outs on the sideline were just as good. Say hello to our legit #2 WR.

This offense looks scary good with Moss, Hernandez, Gronk, Tate, Welker and Edelman Coach O'Brien will have the ability to put out so many different types of looks, it's going to be tough to stop.

Get your #85 jerserys now.......... :)

Last edited:
Just got back from the stadium, quite a show from our young pups.

Let me start by saying that I can't wait to get my Aaron Hernandez jersey, this kid is the real deal. Smooth, hands of glue and always got open in the 11/11s as well as the individual drills. TB and Aaron are already getting the chemistry going to the point where Brady made it a point to run out to him and point out where he wanted him to be on one particular play, you can tell TB loves this kid and knows what he can bring to the O. You watch him run his patterns and he's really smooth, cuts in and out of his breaks quickly and fluidly and has that knack for finding the open seam, he's a natural, I cannot believe we stole this kid in the 4th round, highway robbery at it's finest. He was consistently lining up just off the tackle in the inner slot in many of the formations, what a weapon in the making we have.

Gronk looked good also, as mentioned, a nice tough grab in traffic in the redzone and a heavy spike after pay dirt. Our redzone options are numerous with these two kids, sprinkle these 2 in with Randy inside the 20 and we're deadly.

Chung looked great, as mentioned, he blitzed off the edge on one play and was in the backfield in nano-seconds. Without the the true edge rusher, it looks like BB is going to rescheme the D to reinvent our old safety, ILB and CB blitzes to get pressure and Chung will be a major part of this with his lightning quick jump and speed, he looked great.

And now Brandon Tate, WOW, as mentioned, that catch in the corner of the endzone was a big time play. Covered like a blanket, he took the deep corner pass in, kept his feet in and celebrated, it was a big time play and proved where he is at right now in his development. His deep outs on the sideline were just as good. Say hello to our legit #2 WR.

This offense looks scary good with Moss, Hernandez, Gronk, Tate, Welker and Edelman Coach O'Brien will have the ability to put out so many different types of looks, it's going to be tough to stop.

Get your #85 jerserys now.......... :)

I agree :D

I am so envious of you guys who can make it down there. Maybe next year....... sigh... :(

Great notes... but I am a bit worried about our run offense. This is not the first time I am reading about their inability to finish in the Red Zone. This was an issue last year as well.

My friend with tickets offered me the opportunity to go, but I had an appointment :(. He went anyway, but he told me that it wasn't very exciting. I have a feeling I would have appreciated it more than him, though.

Great notes... but I am a bit worried about our run offense. This is not the first time I am reading about their inability to finish in the Red Zone. This was an issue last year as well.

it can be a tough thing to judge when they are not all out tackeling so I tend to not say much about it. But they have had a few nice TDs in red zone work off the top of my head I remember a good one from Faulk yesterday or the day before. Blocked nice and clearly TD contact or not.

I think we know what we have and it is better than people like to think and we can always hope Maroney breaks out. Faulk is awesome, Maroney is above average, Morris offers some good power and is pretty good receiver too, and Taylor hopefully can pull out one more miracle season. In short Faulk, Morris, and Maroney should offer what they have any of the last 3 or 4, and if either Maroney can breakout or Taylor can revive then it could be more than solid.

it can be a tough thing to judge when they are not all out tackeling so I tend to not say much about it. But they have had a few nice TDs in red zone work off the top of my head I remember a good one from Faulk yesterday or the day before. Blocked nice and clearly TD contact or not.

I think we know what we have and it is better than people like to think and we can always hope Maroney breaks out. Faulk is awesome, Maroney is above average, Morris offers some good power and is pretty good receiver too, and Taylor hopefully can pull out one more miracle season. In short Faulk, Morris, and Maroney should offer what they have any of the last 3 or 4, and if either Maroney can breakout or Taylor can revive then it could be more than solid.

Concur. That's square in the black.

SBB, thanks for taking the time to provide this info. Much appreciated!

No doubt, the "skill" positions are loaded.

I still don't feel good about the OL.

I don't have too much to add to what has already been posted, but here goes a few things.

Yes, the new HD video screen is awesome, they only had the South endzone one running, but it's going to be very nice this year watching replays in the stadium (of course it looked extra big to me since I was down low as opposed to up in my usual seats in the 300s). It looked like the North one was going to be even bigger (and I thought I had read somewhere it's the 2nd biggest one in the NFL after the ones in Dallas).

Not only does Hernandez seem to have good moves and hands, he also seems to have an "edge", he's the one who threw the ball into the stands (that Kraft later returned) and at the end of practice he had to be called back by his position coach, he was heading off to talk to the fans in the endzone.

Tate, Edleman, Hernandez, Gronk, Faulk, Welker, Moss...oh my! Tate looked really good last night. Moss though is the man, some un-real catches. Best one was in the endzone, shaded to the sideline being double teamed, TFB threw a low laser, Moss kept his hands low, never showed the defenders he was going for the ball, then just snatched it underhanded, low, right at is waist, no wasted motion. Both defenders (McCourty and Merrieweather I think), just shook their heads and went back to the huddle...

It's a question mark at this point, because unlike the skill positions you really can't get a good feel for how the players are gelling in camp.

I think with more weapons the offensive schemes can be less predictable, which will be a plus. The only thing that can really derail this offense IMO is if the OL doesn't come together. Unfortunately, that makes it kind of an all or nothing scenario. OL excels, offense is scary good. OL struggles, all those weapons go to waste really.

I have stated already this is my biggest concern as the last poster stated all the weapons go to waste if the OL can't perform.

But there is plenty of reason to believe they will be fine. Scar is awesome at developing the o-line. Light, Neal, and Koppen should give you what they have the last few years (health being the biggest concern), Vollmer is an up and coming beast and should be one of the best linemen on the team so with or with out Mankins that is 4 guys to a pretty good o-line and you have Kazcur to fill in. If we get Mankins back in the fold than we should have one of the best O-lines of the BB era without him it should be pretty good still.

Is it just me or does Chung seem to unleash on Buddy Farnham every practice?

Hopefully the line comes together, the last thing we want is Brady worrying about taking hits because the line isn't as good as it needs to be.

I am pumped about what we could see from the two rookies tight ends.

They are rookies, but the flexibility they have the potential to bring is exactly what the doctor ordered for this offense. Defenses won't know what to do with Hernandez. He can outrun a linebacker easily, and if you put a safety on him instead, then you better watch out for Moss or Tate deep.

Gronk could be an instrumental piece in getting the red area offense straighted out. He gives Brady a huge target to throw to and is an easy person for Brady to pick out in all of the chaos in such a small amount of field space. Not to mention, Gronk, before he begins his route, would be the perfect candidate for a nice chip on Dwight Freeney to help out the left tackle.

Tight ends really are what this team has been lacking since the Super Bowl years. I have a hard time believing Brady ever fully trusted Ben Watson so this year should be a breath of fresh air for Brady now with a formidable tight end corps.

Not to mention Tate, Moss, and Welker, and this offense could go back to it's dominant self.

Last edited:
It's a question mark at this point, because unlike the skill positions you really can't get a good feel for how the players are gelling in camp.

I think with more weapons the offensive schemes can be less predictable, which will be a plus. The only thing that can really derail this offense IMO is if the OL doesn't come together. Unfortunately, that makes it kind of an all or nothing scenario. OL excels, offense is scary good. OL struggles, all those weapons go to waste really.

And this is exactly where the value of Hernandez, Gronk, Welker and Edelman come in to play. Gone will be the days of the long drop backs for TB needing time, Back are the days of Brady slicing up a defense with those quick, precision routes underneath to the 4 prior. He couldn't do this with Ben Watson, he just wasn't that kind of TE, Watson was more the deep seam guy. Enter Aaron Hernandez! too big for a nickel corner to cover, to quick and deceptive for an OLB to cover, and a Dallas Clark like ability to find the open gap and seam in any kind of defense. TB won't need a lot of time with these guys at his disposal (especially AH) and it will help the oline out in big way. This offense will change and adapt more to the underneath stuff.

BTW Hernandez does play with an edge, he was amping up the crowd in the endzone, waving his inked-up arms, playing the crowd, I love him, wait til Fat Rex gets a load of AH, he'll have to try and put Cromartie on him, because he doesn't have an OLB that can cover him........ :)

hernandez.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick