PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

San Diego Columnist Chat Transcript with several Pats mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty stupid of you to think that there will be no loss of continuity. First, and foremost, Cottrell and Turner are NOT Schottenheimer, Phillips, and Cameron. There most certainly will be a period of familiarization on the part of the players and the coaches and its foolish to think that there won't be.

So, while the plays might be the same, how they are called and what the coaches are thinking at a particular juncture won't be. And that will cause problems.
I think it's pretty stupid of you to think that how players are used and when they're called will cause problems. That's ridiculous. Believe me when I tell you we're a TEAM. Who gets their number called and when WILL NOT be an issue. I guarantee you that.

looking at the stats, minnesota was #1 in rush defense. (by a huge margin. they gave up less that 1000 yds all year (985 yds). you were actually #7. (1613) which is respectable. the pats were #5. (1507) you gave up 13 rushing touchdowns last year. fourteen teams gave up fewer than 13 rushing td's. your rush defense was respecable but by no means spectacular. the fact remains that last year, for the first time in several years, teams were able to pack the box against the pats with 8 defenders. this year, not so much. with the deep threats we have and the upgrades at receiver we will have a sick run game to compliment our passing game. brady tore up defenses with branch and givens. it will be a new ball game with moss and the rest of the receivers.
Heh, I was referring to playoff stats.

We'll see who's box get stacked soon enough. Bottom line we completely shutdown your running game and I see absolutely no reason why we can't do it again.

Sacks are one of the most over-rated stats there is. And that is according to Bill Belichik. The reason we had to pass so much is that we were BEHIND and weren't able to establish the running game.

I also see you have problems differentiating between the meaning of FRONT 7 and defensive line. Your Front 7 is hurting because of questions at the ILB spot. If you believe otherwise, you are fooling yourself.

As for "picking up 2 MONSTER ILBs in this year's draft," give me a break. You picked up Anthony Waters who is recovering from a severe ACL injury and you picked up Brandon Siler, who has the attitude of Ray Lewis but about half the skill. If they are slated to be your opening day starters, then the Bolts will be toast.
If you're gonna suggest we have questions at the ILB spot then I would submit you have questions at the WR spot. People can and do recover from ACL injuries. Waters is looking good and going fullspeed right now. I also expect Siler to play like a man possessed.

Sacks are only overrated when your team isn't generating a lot.

Another poster had it right. Arguing about who's more improved in the offseason is inane. We're just gonna have to wait and see. We'll find out soon enough.

This shows how clearly clueless you really are. Moss and Stallworth are, most certainly, upgrades over the Pats 6th and 7th receivers. You're a fool to believe otherwise.

BTW, since you have supposedly watched the Raiders twice a year for the last 2 years, why don't you tell me how Randy did with friggin POP WARNER QBs (sorry if I am offending any Pop Warner QBs)throwing to him and without a O-line to protect those pop-warner QBs.

How is it a "BIG IF" for Stallworth to stay healthy? You do realize that prior to last season, Stallworth went 2 seasons without missing a game, right? And that between 04 and 05 (32 games) he only had 2 games where he was held without a catch..
Heheh, you just keep on believing in Moss and what he's got. We'll talk later about what he's got. If I'm wrong and Moss has a monster year for NE I guarantee you I'll man up and admit on this board that I was wrong. Fair enough?

yakkety yakkety f**king yakkety

************ when does the godd*mn season start, already!? I'm going nuts.

Me = Pissed that somehow, I've managed to buy tickets to two out of the three games that the Sox dropped to the Yanks this year. What is that bull*hit!?

Its pretty stupid of you to think that there will be no loss of continuity. First, and foremost, Cottrell and Turner are NOT Schottenheimer, Phillips, and Cameron. There most certainly will be a period of familiarization on the part of the players and the coaches and its foolish to think that there won't be.

So, while the plays might be the same, how they are called and what the coaches are thinking at a particular juncture won't be. And that will cause problems.

Exactly. anyone who believes otherwise knows nothing about the game and is fooling themsleves.

I think it's pretty stupid of you to think that how players are used and when they're called will cause problems. That's ridiculous. Believe me when I tell you we're a TEAM. Who gets their number called and when WILL NOT be an issue. I guarantee you that.

You clearly have a reading comprehension problem because I said nothing of the sort. I said that there would be a loss of continuity because the coaches and players have a familiarization period that they have to go through. Turner and Cottrell are NOT Schottenheimer, Cameron and Phillip. Turner and Cottrell are going to have to learn each player's strengths and weaknesses. And the Players are going to have to learn what and how the NEW coaches expect things to be done. You clearly have no clue how management changes truly affect people.

Also, San Diego is NOT a TEAM. They don't know the meaning of TEAM. If they DID, they would have beaten the Patriots last year. Instead, they are a bunch of loud mouths who showboat and yap about respect without knowing the meaning. It was the "leaders" of your team who were all out disrespecting the Pats prior to the Divisional game, yet when some of that disrespect is thrown back at them, they whine like little school girls who've had their candy stolen. Give me a break.

Exactly. anyone who believes otherwise knows nothing about the game and is fooling themsleves.
No. Incorrect. I do know enough about the game to say that when you're operating as a unit with ONE common goal? None of that crap matters. No. What matters is executing when you get the op and winning. That's it. Period. End of story.

Heh, I was referring to playoff stats.

We'll see who's box get stacked soon enough. Bottom line we completely shutdown your running game and I see absolutely no reason why we can't do it again.

I see plenty of reason. Unfortunately, you are too inept to see beyond your nose. You will have 2 NEW starting ILBs. Guys who have never started on a regular basis. And you think that they will be able to step right in and not miss a beat? You're delusional.

As for you referring to play-offs stats, that is what most people call CHERRY-PICKING stats. Typical for someone scrambling to try and win an argument that they are clearly over-matched in.

I would LOVE for San Diego to stack the box against the Pats so that Brady and Co. can pick them apart. Something they weren't able to do because of the lack of depth at WR. Depth they've added to.

I see plenty of reason. Unfortunately, you are too inept to see beyond your nose. You will have 2 NEW starting ILBs. Guys who have never started on a regular basis. And you think that they will be able to step right in and not miss a beat? You're delusional.

As for you referring to play-offs stats, that is what most people call CHERRY-PICKING stats. Typical for someone scrambling to try and win an argument that they are clearly over-matched in.

I would LOVE for San Diego to stack the box against the Pats so that Brady and Co. can pick them apart. Something they weren't able to do because of the lack of depth at WR. Depth they've added to.
All I can say to this is we're not hardly afraid of what you've added. Why should we be? RM is a known quantity to us and we'll handle him in due course. Here's a tip for ya. Nobody gets faster year after year. When was the last time you effectively handled our current rushing attack? That's rhetorical. ;)

Redressing one of your previous points - It's like this. I guarantee you LT could give a flying F about how many times his number gets called at this point. No. All LT cares about right now is becoming a SB champ. Here's another tip for you. It's more than likely that we're gonna platoon LT and MT far more so than we did last year. Because we can. You won't see a noticeable drop off. If LT scores 18 times this year and rushes for 13 - 1400 yards and we win a playoff game and\or the SB? Do you actually think you're gonna see ANY Charger whining about touches? Think about it...

That's the kind of team we are. Bank on it.

If you're gonna suggest we have questions at the ILB spot then I would submit you have questions at the WR spot. People can and do recover from ACL injuries. Waters is looking good and going fullspeed right now. I also expect Siler to play like a man possessed.

Sacks are only overrated when your team isn't generating a lot.

Another poster had it right. Arguing about who's more improved in the offseason is inane. We're just gonna have to wait and see. We'll find out soon enough.

Really? That's funny because Belichick said this in 2003 when the Pats were amongst the top of the league. So there goes that theory.

Siler is a bust. Are you really that stupid to think that if he was any good that BB and the Pats wouldn't have chosen him with one of their 4 6th round picks? Siler has an attitude problem and doesn't have HALF the ability he claims to have.

Now, as for Waters, I probably know a heluva lot more about him than some Johnny Come likely like yourself. I wanted the Pats to take Waters because he'd be able to develop and not be thrust into the mix right away. Also because I expect him to be on the PUP list since he wasn't able to run at the Combine and had to put off running until just a couple weeks before the draft.

Also, considering that Waters and Siler both played in a 4-3 defense, its going to take them time to learn their new positions. Your fooling yourself if you believe they will be able to step right in.

What is inane is a Bolts fan who doesn't even know his own team. You sitting there claiming that your core front 7 is stil intact yet you are going to have 2 brand new starting ILBs.

As for the Pats receiving corps, they still have Caldwell and Gaffney on the team from last year. As well as Watson, Faulk, and Maroney. Welker, Moss and Stallworth have EXPERIENCE in the league. Unlike Waters and Siler. Oh, and ALL 3 have already been working with Brady and on their play-book. They know how to understand and digest a PRO playbook. Something that Waters and Siler do not.

Heheh, you just keep on believing in Moss and what he's got. We'll talk later about what he's got. If I'm wrong and Moss has a monster year for NE I guarantee you I'll man up and admit on this board that I was wrong. Fair enough?

Its amazing how you love to ignore facts. I can GUARANTEE you that NO RECEIVER, whether it be Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt or Randy Moss would have succeeded in Oakland with how badly that team is put together. You are being led around by the media pundits who want to blame MOSS for everything. The same ones who won't put ANY blame on Jerry Porter (who was much more disruptive than Moss) or Art Shell (who didn't bring in enough leaders) or Al Davis (who is simply senile). The same ones who made up the LIE about Moss hanging up on Lane Kiffin when Kiffin called to introduce himself. It was hilarious to hear Kiffin at the draft saying that Moss never hung up on him and that they had talked for more than 15 minutes during their initial phone conversation.

No. Incorrect. I do know enough about the game to say that when you're operating as a unit with ONE common goal? None of that crap matters. No. What matters is executing when you get the op and winning. That's it. Period. End of story.

Sorry, but you are the one who is incorrect.. You don't know enough about the game and you've shown that through out this thread. That is the problem. And you don't know SQUAT about human nature and human psychology. For you to think that a whole sale change at all your coaching positions WON'T result in some conflicts shows you to have no real life experience. You are overlooking all the changes among the positional coaches. Those are the coaches that work directly with the players. You can't sit there and tell me that they doe EVERYTHING exactly the same as the previous coaches. I can guarantee you, just by human nature, its impossible.

So, while the GOAL is to be winning and acting as one, how the message is presented and received takes getting used to. Particularly when there is a wholesale change. Also, when positional coaches do things differently the players may not always like it. And if you think that change comes easy, then I know, for a fact, you don't know what you are talking about. I spent 10 years in industry working with people to change their ways of thinking and their ways of doing things. Unless they buy into it, it WILL FAIL. If the positional coaches can't sell their ways to the players, your team won't function.

Its amazing how you love to ignore facts. I can GUARANTEE you that NO RECEIVER, whether it be Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt or Randy Moss would have succeeded in Oakland with how badly that team is put together. You are being led around by the media pundits who want to blame MOSS for everything. The same ones who won't put ANY blame on Jerry Porter (who was much more disruptive than Moss) or Art Shell (who didn't bring in enough leaders) or Al Davis (who is simply senile). The same ones who made up the LIE about Moss hanging up on Lane Kiffin when Kiffin called to introduce himself. It was hilarious to hear Kiffin at the draft saying that Moss never hung up on him and that they had talked for more than 15 minutes during their initial phone conversation.
Pffft. I'm not being led around by jack dude. I'm certain I know RM better than you do. Dude? The faiders are in our division. I know exactly who they are. I know exactly how much they suck. Or don't? For that matter.

If anyone is suffering from delusions it's NE fans. NE fans actually believe that anything NE touches turns to gold. So you made an FA acquisition or 100. That's fantastic!

Go ahead and sport RM. We're waiting for him...

All I can say to this is we're not hardly afraid of what you've added. Why should we be? RM is a known quantity to us and we'll handle him in due course. Here's a tip for ya. Nobody gets faster year after year. When was the last time you effectively handled our current rushing attack? That's rhetorical. ;)

Randy Moss with the Raiders was probably a KNOWN quantity. Randy Moss on the Patriots with Brady throwing him the ball is NOT a known quantity. To think he is shows a complete lack of understanding of the game.

Redressing one of your previous points - It's like this. I guarantee you LT could give a flying F about how many times his number gets called at this point. No. All LT cares about right now is becoming a SB champ.

Considering that no one in this thread made that point and that it was fictitiously created by you, your yapping about it pointless. Try and work on your reading comprehension instead of making things up and claiming people said something when they didn't.

Here's another tip for you. It's more than likely that we're gonna platoon LT and MT far more so than we did last year. Because we can. You won't see a noticeable drop off. If LT scores 18 times this year and rushes for 13 - 1400 yards and we win a playoff game and\or the SB? Do you actually think you're gonna see ANY Charger whining about touches? Think about it...

That's the kind of team we are. Bank on it.

Where did I say WORD ONE about players getting touches. Again, this is something that you created out of thin air. Its fictitious. It never happened. Had you actually READ what I said, I was saying that it takes TIME for the players and coaches to get onto the same page and that if they aren't talking the same, then it will lead to confusion and frustration.

Instead of making things up if you don't understand what is being said, why don't you simply ask for it to be re-worded. It makes you look less foolish.

Pffft. I'm not being led around by jack dude. I'm certain I know RM better than you do. Dude? The faiders are in our division. I know exactly who they are. I know exactly how much they suck. Or don't? For that matter.

If anyone is suffering from delusions it's NE fans. NE fans actually believe that anything NE touches turns to gold. So you made an FA acquisition or 100. That's fantastic!

Go ahead and sport RM. We're waiting for him...

I am certian you DON'T know RM better than me. If you actually knew the faiders as well as you CLAIM, you'd acknowledge that Moss didn't have a real QB throwing to him this year and that the Raiders O-line was a mess. And you'd also acknowledge that if the O-line was a mess, it wouldn't have mattered if Peyton Manning was back there. They weren't going to get things done because they didn't have TIME. Or are you going to ignore the 72 sacks that their QBs took. Or are you going to ignore the 24 interceptions that they threw? Or are you going to ignore the 54% completion rating? Or the 12 fumbles that they committed?

I am NOT claiming that RM is going to be GOLD. I am saying that you are being ignorant for underestimating him with Tom Brady. I am saying you are being ignorant for underestimating this TEAM. This TEAM, though its personnel has changed, still has its CORE and that CORE is what LEADS it. You wouldn't understand that concept because San Diego doesn't have a TEAM. They have a group of individuals who like to run their mouths and showboat.

Sorry, but you are the one who is incorrect.. You don't know enough about the game and you've shown that through out this thread. That is the problem. And you don't know SQUAT about human nature and human psychology. For you to think that a whole sale change at all your coaching positions WON'T result in some conflicts shows you to have no real life experience. You are overlooking all the changes among the positional coaches. Those are the coaches that work directly with the players. You can't sit there and tell me that they doe EVERYTHING exactly the same as the previous coaches. I can guarantee you, just by human nature, its impossible.

So, while the GOAL is to be winning and acting as one, how the message is presented and received takes getting used to. Particularly when there is a wholesale change. Also, when positional coaches do things differently the players may not always like it. And if you think that change comes easy, then I know, for a fact, you don't know what you are talking about. I spent 10 years in industry working with people to change their ways of thinking and their ways of doing things. Unless they buy into it, it WILL FAIL. If the positional coaches can't sell their ways to the players, your team won't function.
Gotta go pretty quick here cos I'm under home pressure right now. Here's the bottom line. The team could give an F about how the message is being presented. That's not the point. The TEAM knows it didn't do what it needed to do last game. If you're suggesting our current staff doesn't know enough to put us in a position to win? That's just pure malarkey. Did Marty's staff put us in a position to win? Of course the staff did. They also F'd up but that's beside the point.

The point is our team DOES have the talent and ability to get it done. We just need to execute. Execution is about players NOT staff. We know this...

Really? That's funny because Belichick said this in 2003 when the Pats were amongst the top of the league. So there goes that theory.

Siler is a bust. Are you really that stupid to think that if he was any good that BB and the Pats wouldn't have chosen him with one of their 4 6th round picks? Siler has an attitude problem and doesn't have HALF the ability he claims to have.

Now, as for Waters, I probably know a heluva lot more about him than some Johnny Come likely like yourself. I wanted the Pats to take Waters because he'd be able to develop and not be thrust into the mix right away. Also because I expect him to be on the PUP list since he wasn't able to run at the Combine and had to put off running until just a couple weeks before the draft.

Also, considering that Waters and Siler both played in a 4-3 defense, its going to take them time to learn their new positions. Your fooling yourself if you believe they will be able to step right in.

What is inane is a Bolts fan who doesn't even know his own team. You sitting there claiming that your core front 7 is stil intact yet you are going to have 2 brand new starting ILBs.

As for the Pats receiving corps, they still have Caldwell and Gaffney on the team from last year. As well as Watson, Faulk, and Maroney. Welker, Moss and Stallworth have EXPERIENCE in the league. Unlike Waters and Siler. Oh, and ALL 3 have already been working with Brady and on their play-book. They know how to understand and digest a PRO playbook. Something that Waters and Siler do not.
Hmm. 1st of all, what Beli says is not the gospel. Seriously. Doesn't matter when he said it. Doesn't matter what he thinks. Sacks DO matter. Always. As usual when you get a sack is the key. Getting a sack in the 1st qtr is one thing. Getting a sack when the opposing team is on your 30 and time is winding down is another. Now, if BB isn't putting serious emphasis on that area? Not to say that he's a dumbarse but? I have to chalk it up to your teams inability top do so. Keep thinking sacks don't matter.

So you think that because NE passed on Siler he's a bust? That's abject homerism at it's finest.

I'm not for a second suggesting Waters and Siler can step right in. They're draft picks. Criminey! The question is do they have the ability to PUSH Wilhelm and Dobbins to be the best they can be? Answer is? Ya. They do. Nuff' said.

With regard to our core what I suggested still stands. We ARE all coming back. Wilhelm and Dobbins played many downs last year. They're ready. As a NE fan what I would be thinking about is? Does this now mean we can actually run on SD? Heheh, we all know that's exactly what EVERYONE is thinking. C'mon? That's absolutely the very FIRST thing the NE staff is thinking about. If I know this? We ALL know this. Bring it!

If you rip us a new A hole I'll just have to go ahead and say - fair enough? The better team won? Lets focus on how to improve.

Just a few thoughts:

Sacks are overrated. BB says so, and he's pretty much considered the resident defensive genius in the NFL. You say they aren't, and you're a nobody.

When you send a guy rushing the passer on every single play he becomes fairly easy to gameplan around. He'll get his sack or two each game, but when you run the ball you can easily circumvent or even ignore him. You can pass to the spot he's coming from because you know he isn't dropping into coverage. Getting really big sack #s involves committing all-out to rushing the passer and usually involves spins and other such moves which leave you in no position to make any other kind of play. Predcitible + non-versatile = bad.

Compare this to a guy like Willie McGinest when he was in NE. He could get to the passer, but he could also pick up a TE in coverage. He could be down on the line or standing up as a linebacker. Offenses had no idea what he was going to do and therefore could not plan/accout for him ahead of time. That is supremely more valuable than sending a guy at the QB every single time.

Sacks are very valuable yet overrated. Too often players and teams rack up big sack #s by playing stupidly, as I've already partly explained. The other stupid aspect of it is that the more you blitz the more sacks you'll get, but the more big plays you'll give up. The big players almost always cost you more than the sacks help you. Have you ever read TMQ and his segment "stop me before I blitz again?"

Next up, I always love the saying "he taught him everything he knew." Parcells always got credited with teaching belichick everything he knew, and by now we all know that isn't true and that Parcells can't carry belichick's jock as a coach.

As for this daunting SD rushing defense that will force NE to pass, even if that happens (I'm conceding the point for theoretical purposes) NE doesn't mind airing it out. It worked pretty damn well against Minnesota last year, and worked pretty well for the '01 and '03 champion teams. While it didn't work as well against SD last year, Reche caldwell was the #1 WR and that won't be the case again. I wouldn't get yourself too excited by the prospect of Tom Brady airing it out to Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Watson, Faulk, and the rest next year.

Back to coaching, all we heard before the game last year was that the offensive play calling being turned over to cameron was a guarantee of victory because he's a genius and a brilliant game caller, etc. Now, we're being told losing him won't be a big deal. So the person calling the plays, and not just the system, was a big factor last year but this year it means nothing?

Were you guys lying to us then or now? Which one is it: is Cameron a brilliant difference maker when calling plays or can anyone do it?

And just so you know coaching changes aren't the smoothest thing in the world even when the system stays the same. NE lost both coordinators after '04 and it showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News