PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

San Diego Columnist Chat Transcript with several Pats mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots O-line more than withstood the "assault" that came during the Divisional game last year and the Chargers haven't improved the personnel there at all. I am not impressed with your ILBs and they have a HUGE affect on how the 3-4 defense works.

The problem with the Chargers defense is whether or not they have enough people to cover the Pats receivers. And, if they do, will they have enough to stop the running game?
You guys are missing the point. There's a reason why you had over FIFTY pass attempts and 3 picks. It should have been 5 picks but we dropped 2. We didn't need improvement on our DL this year. Its pretty damn good as it stands. What team led the league in sacks last year? How do you improve on that? Not for nothing but we also picked up 2 monster ILB's this year in the draft.

Just bring your A game because you will need it.

You guys are missing the point. There's a reason why you had over FIFTY pass attempts and 3 picks. It should have been 5 picks but we dropped 2. We didn't need improvement on our DL this year. Its pretty damn good as it stands. What team led the league in sacks last year? How do you improve on that? Not for nothing but we also picked up 2 monster ILB's this year in the draft.

I think you're missing the point. You said that an important issue was going to be whether or not the NE o-line could handle the assault coming their way, as if they wouldn't be able to. My fellow posters pointed out the fact that Brady threw 50+ passes and Chargers managed only 2 sacks (one of which was for no loss).

You brought it up and they easily refuted it. That was the point, refuting your statement. We're not saying that the SD defense sucks or that the NE o-line is the greatest. What we're saying is that the last time they played the SD defense failed to apply much pressure. reading anything else into it is you failing to get the point.

I think you're missing the point. You said that an important issue was going to be whether or not the NE o-line could handle the assault coming their way, as if they wouldn't be able to. My fellow posters pointed out the fact that Brady threw 50+ passes and Chargers managed only 2 sacks (one of which was for no loss).

You brought it up and they easily refuted it. That was the point, refuting your statement. We're not saying that the SD defense sucks or that the NE o-line is the greatest. What we're saying is that the last time they played the SD defense failed to apply much pressure. reading anything else into it is you failing to get the point.
No. I'm not missing anything. The point is you HAD to throw 50+ times because you could not run. That you won a playoff game when your QB threw 3 picks is fairly amazing. That's only happened once before in the history of the game.

Your QB threw 3 picks because of the constant pressure in his face. It should have been 5 picks. That's about pressure. Ask any HC if they expect to win a game knowing they have to throw 50+ passes in a game. Ask any HC if they think that's a winning strategy. I'm betting Bellichick would be the 1st to say hell no. That's not the ideal. Nobody expects to win games throwing 50 + times. If you HAVE to throw 50+ times you're not controlling the line of scrimmage. You're not dictating to defenses. You're being dictated to.

That's the point.

Have the other six on your front seven do roids too?
I'm sure the Pats will bring their 'A' game. Your boys might want to try bringing theirs, cause if you thought Caldwell and Gaffney made your secondary look stupid...:eek:

I am always intereested in the thinking of others.

Yes, I agree that Thomas is an upgrade on Banta-Cain.

Moss and Stallworth aren't a clear upgrade on Childress and Kight? That's whose roster spots they take. You're kidding, right!?? We still have Caldwell (and last year's backups if we want to keep them) and Jackson (who was injured and whom will likely start on the PUP list). We will have a DEFINITE inprovement in the WR position as a result of our moves for Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Washington.

I agree. In fact, from a SD fanboy perspective, Thomas is the one and only move you made in the offseason that could be classified an absolute upgrade. Draft choices notwithstanding.

Stallworth and Moss could help depending on various factors. Most important factor being whether your OL can withstand the assault that is definitely coming it's way. Nuff' said.

No. I'm not missing anything. The point is you HAD to throw 50+ times because you could not run. That you won a playoff game when your QB threw 3 picks is fairly amazing. That's only happened once before in the history of the game.

Your QB threw 3 picks because of the constant pressure in his face. It should have been 5 picks. That's about pressure. Ask any HC if they expect to win a game knowing they have to throw 50+ passes in a game. Ask any HC if they think that's a winning strategy. I'm betting Bellichick would be the 1st to say hell no. That's not the ideal. Nobody expects to win games throwing 50 + times. If you HAVE to throw 50+ times you're not controlling the line of scrimmage. You're not dictating to defenses. You're being dictated to.

That's the point.

No the point is that will all that you said the Chargers still lost.
San Diego Charger fans keep saying we were lucky. Well I rather be lucky than to have home field advantage all those prowbowlers the NFL's MVP The leading touch down scorer and still loose.

Last edited:
No the point is that will all that you said the Chargers still lost.
San Diego Charger fans keep saying we were lucky. Well I rather be lucky than to have home field advantage all those prowbowlers the NFL's MVP The leading touch down scorer and still loose.
How refreshing! :D Yea, that's the standard fall back position when you can't refute an argument.

I am always intereested in the thinking of others.

Yes, I agree that Thomas is an upgrade on Banta-Cain.

Moss and Stallworth aren't a clear upgrade on Childress and Kight? That's whose roster spots they take. You're kidding, right!?? We still have Caldwell (and last year's backups if we want to keep them) and Jackson (who was injured and whom will likely start on the PUP list). We will have a DEFINITE inprovement in the WR position as a result of our moves for Moss, Stallworth, Welker and Washington.
No, I don't see Moss as a definite upgrade. I've been watching Randy twice a year for the last 2 years and he's not the same Randy. He's definitely lost a step or even two. Since speed was his biggest asset I now consider him to be average at best. Seeing as though he doesn't over the middle he'll never be a solid possession WR. Maybe NE can get something out of him on some level? Time will tell on that. Donte may be an upgrade if he stays healthy but thats a big "if."

You put an awful lot onto sacks, which are not necessarily an indicator of great defense. Seattle led the NFL in sacks in 2005 and Atlanta in 2004. That doesn't mean they had the best defenses.

If you look at defense vs. the pass, SD was 13th best in yardage, 9th best in completion percentage and 11th best in passer rating. Those aren't bad, but NE bested them in all 3 areas so it is easy to see which team was better vs. the pass.

Really, when you look at the game against SD, the key was the Pats defense in the Red Zone. SD was repeatedly handed great field position during the game, but couldn't put the Pats away. They let them hang around and paid the price in the end.

That was no fluke. The Pats have been a great Red Zone team during Belichick's tenure, because that is what wins games.

Besides, just because the Pats turned the ball over 3 times you are assuming they will again. The problem was a lack of play-makers on the outside, so teams were able to bring a S up to defend the run, while still defending the pass effectively. This year, with much more of an outside threat in Moss and Stallworth to go with stellar inside threats like Watson and Welker, they will be far harder to defend. Teams just won't be able to play the same defenses as they did against the Pats in 2006. That will help the running game as much as the passing game.

You put an awful lot onto sacks, which are not necessarily an indicator of great defense. Seattle led the NFL in sacks in 2005 and Atlanta in 2004. That doesn't mean they had the best defenses.

If you look at defense vs. the pass, SD was 13th best in yardage, 9th best in completion percentage and 11th best in passer rating. Those aren't bad, but NE bested them in all 3 areas so it is easy to see which team was better vs. the pass.

Really, when you look at the game against SD, the key was the Pats defense in the Red Zone. SD was repeatedly handed great field position during the game, but couldn't put the Pats away. They let them hang around and paid the price in the end.

That was no fluke. The Pats have been a great Red Zone team during Belichick's tenure, because that is what wins games.

Besides, just because the Pats turned the ball over 3 times you are assuming they will again. The problem was a lack of play-makers on the outside, so teams were able to bring a S up to defend the run, while still defending the pass effectively. This year, with much more of an outside threat in Moss and Stallworth to go with stellar inside threats like Watson and Welker, they will be far harder to defend. Teams just won't be able to play the same defenses as they did against the Pats in 2006. That will help the running game as much as the passing game.
I understand what you're trying to say but you neglected to mention rush defense. Where we were #1 last year and barring unforeseen injury should be right around there again this year. That's why you had to throw the ball 51 times. It seems you're also not considering the fact that we SD should be better this year. Our entire core is back and injury free. We'll be one year wiser and better in every area.

I understand what you're trying to say but you neglected to mention rush defense. Where we were #1 last year and barring unforeseen injury should be right around there again this year. That's why you had to throw the ball 51 times. It seems you're also not considering the fact that we SD should be better this year. Our entire core is back and injury free. We'll be one year wiser and better in every area.

looking at the stats, minnesota was #1 in rush defense. (by a huge margin. they gave up less that 1000 yds all year (985 yds). you were actually #7. (1613) which is respectable. the pats were #5. (1507) you gave up 13 rushing touchdowns last year. fourteen teams gave up fewer than 13 rushing td's. your rush defense was respecable but by no means spectacular. the fact remains that last year, for the first time in several years, teams were able to pack the box against the pats with 8 defenders. this year, not so much. with the deep threats we have and the upgrades at receiver we will have a sick run game to compliment our passing game. brady tore up defenses with branch and givens. it will be a new ball game with moss and the rest of the receivers.

I think this whole discussion about how much each team has improved, position by position, ad nauseum, is just ****ing inane.

The fact of the matter is that both teams are not starting from where they left off last year.

The Chargers have replaced their entire coaching staff. The team is going to basically be starting from scratch with a new system on both sides of the ball. In addition to the questionable addition of head coach Norv Turner, you've got a whole series of departures including including offensive coordinator Cam Cameron (now the head coach of the Dolphins), defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (head coach, Cowboys), tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski (offensive coordinator, Browns), linebackers coach Greg Manusky (defensive coordinator, 49ers), and secondary coach Brian Stewart (defensive coordinator, Cowboys).

The guys who train the players to be in the right position and execute are going to need to build from the ground up.

No way the Chargers are anywhere near as good as they were last year as a result.

On the other hand, the Pats' coaching staff will be more or less consistent.

This argument is definitive. San Diego should start planning for '08, because with their coaching changes the best I see for them is one and done in the playoffs.

Let me make sure I'm getting this right:

San Diego's run defense was so dominant that the Pats couldn't run the ball. Also, San Diego, being so dominant against the run, knew that the Pats would be throwing all day. Brady threw 50+ times. Despite all of this, San Diego, who led the league in sacks and according to Bolts fans had 35 Pro-Bowlers on defense alone, recorded just one true sack and a zero-loss pursuit sack. Also, they lost to a team whose #1 was Reche Caldwell. That's an "assault?"

Now, the Pats have upgraded their receiver corps with two absolute burners and a heckuva slot guy, they should also have healthy running backs in Week Two, and they should be worried about San Diego?

Last edited:
No, I don't see Moss as a definite upgrade. I've been watching Randy twice a year for the last 2 years and he's not the same Randy. He's definitely lost a step or even two.

Donte may be an upgrade if he stays healthy but thats a big "if."

1) Moss was like eight steps ahead of everyone else, so losing a step or two still leaves him as pretty damn good.

2) For the last time, Stallworth has only missed four games in the last three seasons, and all four were last year. The two years before that he played 32 games out of 32. Him being injury prone is just some rumor that an ignorant knucklehead started and every successive knucklehead repeated without taking 10 seconds to look him up on ESPN.

Last edited:

Seriously, did you just start watching football when SD got the #1 seed? Because you're making egregious factual mistakes that a true fan just wouldn't make, not if he or she had any pride, that is.

I think this whole discussion about how much each team has improved, position by position, ad nauseum, is just ****ing inane.

The fact of the matter is that both teams are not starting from where they left off last year.

The Chargers have replaced their entire coaching staff. The team is going to basically be starting from scratch with a new system on both sides of the ball. In addition to the questionable addition of head coach Norv Turner, you've got a whole series of departures including including offensive coordinator Cam Cameron (now the head coach of the Dolphins), defensive coordinator Wade Phillips (head coach, Cowboys), tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski (offensive coordinator, Browns), linebackers coach Greg Manusky (defensive coordinator, 49ers), and secondary coach Brian Stewart (defensive coordinator, Cowboys).

The guys who train the players to be in the right position and execute are going to need to build from the ground up.

No way the Chargers are anywhere near as good as they were last year as a result.

On the other hand, the Pats' coaching staff will be more or less consistent.

This argument is definitive. San Diego should start planning for '08, because with their coaching changes the best I see for them is one and done in the playoffs.
No we're not going to be starting with a new system on EITHER side of the ball. Norv was our OC back in 01 and he actually installed the offense back then and we've been running it ever since. Cottrell was the DC for Buffalo and taught Wade, our former DC, everything he knew about the defense we currently run. In our 1st Mini camp both Norv and Cottrell were calling plays and totally recognized all our schemes. That's why we went the people we did. They'll be ZERO loss of continuity on both sides of the ball. No re-training, no re-tooling. We'll be ready come opening day.

Last edited:

Sacks are one of the most over-rated stats there is. And that is according to Bill Belichik. The reason we had to pass so much is that we were BEHIND and weren't able to establish the running game.

I also see you have problems differentiating between the meaning of FRONT 7 and defensive line. Your Front 7 is hurting because of questions at the ILB spot. If you believe otherwise, you are fooling yourself.

As for "picking up 2 MONSTER ILBs in this year's draft," give me a break. You picked up Anthony Waters who is recovering from a severe ACL injury and you picked up Brandon Siler, who has the attitude of Ray Lewis but about half the skill. If they are slated to be your opening day starters, then the Bolts will be toast.

No, I don't see Moss as a definite upgrade. I've been watching Randy twice a year for the last 2 years and he's not the same Randy. He's definitely lost a step or even two. Since speed was his biggest asset I now consider him to be average at best. Seeing as though he doesn't over the middle he'll never be a solid possession WR. Maybe NE can get something out of him on some level? Time will tell on that. Donte may be an upgrade if he stays healthy but thats a big "if."

This shows how clearly clueless you really are. Moss and Stallworth are, most certainly, upgrades over the Pats 6th and 7th receivers. You're a fool to believe otherwise.

BTW, since you have supposedly watched the Raiders twice a year for the last 2 years, why don't you tell me how Randy did with friggin POP WARNER QBs (sorry if I am offending any Pop Warner QBs)throwing to him and without a O-line to protect those pop-warner QBs.

How is it a "BIG IF" for Stallworth to stay healthy? You do realize that prior to last season, Stallworth went 2 seasons without missing a game, right? And that between 04 and 05 (32 games) he only had 2 games where he was held without a catch..

San Diego was NOT the #1 rush defense last year. They were the 7th best rushing defense last year. Minnesota, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, New England, and Chicago were all better than San Diego against the Rush. And what is amazing is that New England's Rush defense took a huge hit when it lost Seau.

The Pats threw the ball 51 times because they were playing from behind and couldn't establish the rush.

How do you figure that San Diego will be better this year when you will have 2 new starters at the ILB position in Wilhelm and Cooper? How can you say your entire core is back when you released Godfrey and Edwards?

No we're not going to be starting with a new system on EITHER side of the ball. Norv was our OC back in 01 and he actually installed the offense back then and we've been running it ever since. Cottrell was the DC for Buffalo and taught Wade, our former DC, everything he knew about the defense we currently run. In our 1st Mini camp both Norv and Cottrell were calling plays and totally recognized all our schemes. That's why we went the people we did. They'll be ZERO loss of continuity on both sides of the ball. No re-training, no re-tooling. We'll be ready come opening day.

Its pretty stupid of you to think that there will be no loss of continuity. First, and foremost, Cottrell and Turner are NOT Schottenheimer, Phillips, and Cameron. There most certainly will be a period of familiarization on the part of the players and the coaches and its foolish to think that there won't be.

So, while the plays might be the same, how they are called and what the coaches are thinking at a particular juncture won't be. And that will cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back