PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Same story, different year for the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

richpats

Banned
Reaction score
On January 14th, the New England Patriots will go into the home of the AFC West champions for a divisional playoff game on CBS.

The Patriots are AFC East champions and 4th seed in the AFC playoffs. They finished the month of December with a 4-1 record, with the only blemish coming against the Miami Dolphins. On January 7th, they defeated the 5th-seeded team in what was a tight game before the Pats pulled away late.

The AFC West champs are coming off their best regular season this decade and posted a 5-1 division record (with the only loss at Kansas City) and a 10-2 conference record. They have a perfect 8-0 home record this season. Their QB will be starting his first playoff game in front of the home crowd.

Recent history between the 2 teams has not been particularly kind to the Patriots. The team has a losing record against the AFC West champion in the Belichick/Brady era. The Pats only victory in this span of time was sparked by the 4th-quarter heroics of QB Tom Brady. Brady has more wins than losses (10) than any QB in NFL playoff history.

Bill Belichick holds a 2-3 career record against the coach of the AFC West champs. This is the 1st playoff meeting between the 2 coaches.

The opposing coach, though no stranger to winning, has been saddled with a reputation for not winning in the playoffs and hopes to exorcise those demons against the Patriots.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creepy isn't it? Hopefully this is where all the similarities end from last year's divisional playoffs. Personally I see it as a redemption game for the Pats. Many feel this team has improved since last year (and I agree) but they are in the exact same position as last season and only a victory will show that they are ready to return to 'elite' status. This should be one heck of a battle.

This NE team is much better than last year's version and would have killed Denver.

The problem is that SD is a great deal better than Denver was last year themselves.

Look, i think really it comes down to confidence, NE has to believe they can beat SD and go at some of their stars...NE has to play with authority, hit them hard, be physical, crisp, go at their talent. Many in Charger land believe we are has beens, and maybe they are true. Are we? If we aren't let's go out and beat the best team in the NFL, knock 'em in the mouth for 60 minutes, clichee I know, but they need to be physical all game, they need to have confidence for 60 minutes, they need to show the best team in football. San Diego says they respect us and all that....do they. I believe they don't...the coaches will have a game plan, the players neeed to execute it with authority

If ever, NE has to haul out that disrespect card right now and lay it on the table...let's see what this team has got....:violent: :violent: :violent:

NE's performance in Denver last year (sans turnovers) actually has me encouraged about this matchup. The D's performance in that game exceeded all expectations and the offense was solid between the 20's. Our red zone play has improved on both sides of the ball, so as long as we don't muff it up I think we have a chance.

This NE team is much better than last year's version and would have killed Denver.

The problem is that SD is a great deal better than Denver was last year themselves.

The Patriots never "KILL" Denver. How soon we forget.

Dejaveau

This game on sunday feels alot like the 2004 Pittsburgh game when the Steetlers were ****y and thought they would run over the Pats, and the Media already had the game handed to the steelers, i hope the game results on sunday match this game also.

Re: Dejaveau

That and the Colts game from the same year. 3 points from the greatest offense ever assembled,

Re: Dejaveau

I think the Pats are going to be very physical and im predicting a win, i cant go against this team, i love them to much lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes