Welcome to PatsFans.com

Salary cap numbers incomplete?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Feb 10, 2007.

1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +608 / 23 / -5

#12 Jersey

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Interesting information.

2. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +985 / 72 / -55

#50 Jersey

Its nothing new. What they also don't mention is the CREDITS that teams will get for giving players LTBE bonuses that weren't earned. Like the Pats giving Koppen a 1.9 million LTBE bonus for playing on Special teams and Antwain Spann a 2.95 million LTBE bonus which I am pretty sure he didn't earn either.

3. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I had a feeling all the chickens hadn't come home to roost just yet.

Pennington had about $9M of his money incentivized into 2007 as I recall, at a time when I'm sure no one believed he would ever earn it back. Lowered his cap to around $3M in 2006. And I would be astonished if Manning didn't have lots of little incentives in his deal including SBMVP - not with Tom Condon as his agent.

We know we pushed around $6M forward via LTBE which would push us up to $34M before any NLTBE's are factored in. If there even were any this season.

4. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +671 / 53 / -21

I would think that we might be assessed cash over cap charges as well as playoff bonus incentives.

5. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +789 / 3 / -3

#75 Jersey

They do mention it
    "Second, any "likely to be earned" incentives that were not met in 2006 result in a cap credit for 2007. Teams with surplus cap money in 2006 but no plans to use it often will insert such incentives that, although categorized as "likely to be earned" are, as a practical matter, not earned. Because these incentives count against the 2006 cap, the money carries over to the next year if the incentive is not earned."

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

Jonathan Kraft said they were over in a recent radio interview with Michael Felger.. he indicated they will face some minor penalties this year.

7. Jimke

Jimke In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +78 / 13 / -6

I think there will be more dollars added to our cap than will be subtracted.

8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I thought he said they would not, which was one of the points he was stressing - that they did not want to be penalized and that was why they had been unable to get some deals done. Felger later said he is not sure the league has finalized the plan and the Pats (typically) are operating as if they know what it likely will entail and acting accordingly. But he, Felger, could care less about loosing a million or two or three or five, whatever, down the road under a $100M+ cap. I got the impression that the Pats are anticipating a plan (somewhat similar to MLB) where you can go over periodically as long as you don't do it consistently (i.e. the penalty will be assessed on those who do it in back to back seasons).