PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Kerrigan at #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its pretty bad when fans with limited film on certain players can scout them better than your teams Front Office and Coach.........

In that case, please offer your vast experience and knowledge to the Patriots Front Office.

In that case, please offer your vast experience and knowledge to the Patriots Front Office.

That’s circular reasoning, the idea that a mere fan can’t make a better decision than a professional front office guy BECAUSE they’re only a fan and not a “professional”. Did you consider that within the professional football world there might be certain paradigms that exist and which prove difficult to think outside of because of the self-selecting population?

That’s circular reasoning, the idea that a mere fan can’t make a better decision than a professional front office guy BECAUSE they’re only a fan and not a “professional”. Did you consider that within the professional football world there might be certain paradigms that exist and which prove difficult to think outside of because of the self-selecting population?

YEAH!! :rocker:

Um...wait a minute...:confused:

My brain hurts. :blush:

Its pretty bad when fans with limited film on certain players can scout them better than your teams Front Office and Coach.........

He wasn't on the board when they picked. You know nothing about their opinion of him other than that they deemed him not worthy of trading up for. And no, you can't scout better than the Pats. Your posts on this site tell me as much.

Scriz answered that question. I have no problems w. fans questioning draft selections during draft day.

I do have a problem with fans like Mr Drake who constantly vilify the FO for taking X player instead of Y.
Could have, would have, should have. It happens.

Scriz answered that question. I have no problems w. fans questioning draft selections during draft day.

I do have a problem with fans like Mr Drake who constantly vilify the FO for taking X player instead of Y.

Regarding could have, should have, I think it's only legit to criticize a decision based on the info available at the time but so long as that's obeyed one can criticize a decision.

Take the infamous Tate selection, IMO that was only defensible if one believes that >4yrs of Tate would have a better impact on the team than 5yrs of Wallace. I wasn't following the draft at that point so I don't have an opinion of them as prospects but I know a bit about injuries, and I know that losing 1yr out of 5 and the fact that one is never 'quite the same' after those kinds of injuries really makes me wonder about the decision.

This is my main problem with the hindsight threads. What would be useful is for all these great drafters to go on the record this year before the draft and as the draft plays out and tell us at each position and what selection they would make in that same position (and you can only have one selection).

E.g Last year my draft on march 14: 1A Aldon Smith, 1B Muhammad Wilkerson, 2A Derek Sherrod, 2B Stephen Wisnewski, 3A Clint Bolling, 3B Vereen, Jeremy Beale, Greg Romulous.

That Draft looks good. Except for the fact i wouldn't have been able to get Smith at 17 and don't know who i would have taken with the players available on draft day, i would have also accepted the trade from NO as a 1st and 2nd is great value. Sherrod wasn't there at my pick, Wisnewski not there at 2B, Vareen not there in the 3rd.

I can go on but This illustrates the point made by NinjaZX6R anyone can go back and say look my draft is great. I'd have 4 starters in the 1st 4 picks at OLB, DE, C and OT. But the draft didn't pan out that way on the day, so if you want to be a critic put on the record the one thing you would do in their position at the time.

Regarding could have, should have, I think it's only legit to criticize a decision based on the info available at the time but so long as that's obeyed one can criticize a decision.

Take the infamous Tate selection, IMO that was only defensible if one believes that >4yrs of Tate would have a better impact on the team than 5yrs of Wallace. I wasn't following the draft at that point so I don't have an opinion of them as prospects but I know a bit about injuries, and I know that losing 1yr out of 5 and the fact that one is never 'quite the same' after those kinds of injuries really makes me wonder about the decision.

Regarding Tate, I can see why Pats liked him over Wallace.
Tate ran better routes. Wallace, even last year ran sloppy routes. Pats Offensive system is predicated on running precise routes.
Tate at UNC ran inside routes at UNC. Wallace was basically a Speed WR at Ole Miss.

Also, last time Pats took the speediest WR, it bit them in the rear end.

Also, the FO knows a lot about prospects than the all of us. They do it for a living. They are the ones who send scouts to check them out. They have the coaches tapes, vastly different from what we as viewers watch on television.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back