PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor Central: Dwight Freeney to the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Rumor Central: Dwight Freeney to the Patriots?

Steve Balestrieri

The latest rumor surrounding the Patriots has to do with free agent Arizona Cardinal defensive end Dwight Freeney. The 36-year old edge rusher is still looking for a home in 2016

Continue reading...

Would only play on 3rd and long or 2 minute D but if he wants 100 snaps I'll take him for that.

Thread title is incredibly misleading - all the article says is that Peter King floated the idea out there.

He was good when asked to play a limited role last year. He is someone who could be fresh late in the game.
I agree. I think they need to see how the kids do and Long holds up first.

If we hadn't already signed Chris Long I would welcome a Freeney signing. Having said that, I'd rather BB go with what he has and let one of the younger guys (looking at you, Flowers) step up.

Freeney was still incredibly effective last year. Limited to 250+ snaps and had 8 sacks. He could still be valuable to a team if they use him in a similar role.

He can still rush the passer. But he can't do ANYTHING ELSE. And that's a roster spot.

Put another way... Bill looks for this...

73469-004-A2552B58.jpg

And Freeney is this...

istockphoto_6335953-battered-old-hammer.jpg

Agree wish we could teach a skill player to long snap.

That wasn't actually my point. My point is sometimes some jobs are so important that he's willing to give up on versatility. Even though for years people have been clamoring for BB to cut the LS position and free up a roster spot elsewhere, he never has (and b/c of the necessity of having them practice together, my belief is he never will).

If the Pats sign him it means either Grissom or Flowers or both look to be ineffective I would guess. The Fact they have not moved to do so yet gives me hope the Pats still have good expectations for those players in the future.

He can still rush the passer. But he can't do ANYTHING ELSE. And that's a roster spot.

Put another way... Bill looks for this...

73469-004-A2552B58.jpg

And Freeney is this...

istockphoto_6335953-battered-old-hammer.jpg

I don't think BB brought in mark anderson or andre carter to be a swiss knife several years ago. All they did was rush the passer.

Do it. You can never have enough experienced pass rushers and Freeney was surprisingly effective last year.

If he comes here I'll be stoked. If he doesn't come here he's washed-up, imo.

I don't think BB brought in mark anderson or andre carter to be a swiss knife several years ago. All they did was rush the passer.

carter was full time

in the statbook, freeney literally shows up for 8 sacks and nothing else......all 8 of his tackles were sacks

I'll pass.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes