PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor Central: Dwight Freeney to the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones was a great draft choice, really outstanding. Losing him was a big ouch; I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to find defensive lineman that can rush the passer; it is almost as hard as finding a shutdown corner. He will be harder to replace than Hightower if we lost Hightower; I hope he was not traded because he did not fit Bills super-boyscout mold. Losing him sucks big time, but we would lose him anyway after the 2016 season since he would command a lot of money in the offseason.

Jones was a great draft choice, really outstanding. Losing him was a big ouch; I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to find defensive lineman that can rush the passer; it is almost as hard as finding a shutdown corner. He will be harder to replace than Hightower if we lost Hightower; I hope he was not traded because he did not fit Bills super-boyscout mold. Losing him sucks big time, but we would lose him anyway after the 2016 season since he would command a lot of money in the offseason.
I do agree that losing Jones is a bigger issue than most are willing to admit, but replacing Hightower would be MUCH MUCH harder.

A 270lb LB who can be the center/signal caller for your defense, plug the run (may I add the difference in run defense is night and day when he is in vs out) and cover pretty well AND rush the qb (underated aspect of his game). Those don't come around often...

last year, jabaal sheard was more efficient in that regard

The 2 full seasons that jones played, he wore down late in the season.

good player, but the pats were well served in moving him when they could

Freeney used to be an elite pass rusher, we need pass rush. Bring him in for a workout

Fixed your post for you. But I also have no problem bringing him in for a workout and seeing if he can contribute.

If no signing bonus, eh, so what. Roster is 90. Almost worth it to cut him. :)

I do agree that losing Jones is a bigger issue than most are willing to admit, but replacing Hightower would be MUCH MUCH harder.

A 270lb LB who can be the center/signal caller for your defense, plug the run (may I add the difference in run defense is night and day when he is in vs out) and cover pretty well AND rush the qb (underated aspect of his game). Those don't come around often...

It is much harder to replace interior players than outside ones. Hightower and Collins, without question, have to be retained for as long as they are healthy and perform at a high level.

I have no doubt he would pull a reggie wayne and say 'this place is no fun and too much work'

I'd love for Bill to sign him just for that purpose...stfu and respect the dominant team in the League, now that you've tried and couldn't make it.

Respect. But I am finding it hard to agree with most of this tho. It is hard to find a good to great DE. It's been that way for a while now in the game. But let's not elevate Jones too high. He was good - yes. I'd rather have him than not have him - yes. But this is a case where the price tag would have been way to high for someone who, if one watched closely, was only marginally better than a lesser name like Rob Ninko, if at all. It was Rob making the critical plays in key moments consistently, not Jones. It was Rob seemingly stepping up in all kinds of different situations, not Jones. Two things were pretty glaring to me: a) he starts each season with a bang and slowly fizzles and, as alluded, b) he doesn't do it in big games or big moments.

I'm not bashing Jones at all tho. He had a very decent, if unspectacular, tenure here and helped win a Title. That will always mean something. He was AWESOME in the locker room by all accounts and the little glimpses the team has given via Patriots.com. As I've already stated, I'd rather have him than not have him. But let's not put him up there with the greats until his play really starts to merit it, and I think he can still get there. This is a player ascending right now. His time with NE just ran short for the kind of money he is going to try to get at the end of this season. We had to get something for him.

Our roster has to support the ability to alter game plans dramatically based upon opponent. Thus versatility is very important. I don't see a fit for Freeny at all, in that he is so 1-dimensional at this point in his career. He is a 3rd-and-long edge pass rusher. Period. I don't think that his skill level in that role is so high to justify having him occupy a roster spot over someone who can fill many more roles reasonbly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back