PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rule Question from last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

kptmorgan04

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted somewhere in the 700 + posts of the game thread but....

Why was it when at the end of the 2nd quarter before the 2 minute warning on two seperate occasions, the first with Maroney getting pushed out of bounds and the second with a WR going out of bounds did the clock continue to tick instead of stopping?

Thanks

kptmorgan04 said:
Sorry if this was posted somewhere in the 700 + posts of the game thread but....

Why was it when at the end of the 2nd quarter before the 2 minute warning on two seperate occasions, the first with Maroney getting pushed out of bounds and the second with a WR going out of bounds did the clock continue to tick instead of stopping?

Thanks

I wondered the same thing.

rules that were implemented, i believe, last season (might have been this one tho). anyway...the clock only stops when there's something like under 4 min to go in each half. i don't remember the exact way it written. i'll see if i can find it.

WV-Colt said:
rules that were implemented, i believe, last season (might have been this one tho). anyway...the clock only stops when there's something like under 4 min to go in each half. i don't remember the exact way it written. i'll see if i can find it.

thanks I would appreciate it, maybe it is with under two minutes left, because on both occasions it was with I think under 3 minutes going into half time.

With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

Yeah, I thought under the last 5 minutes of each half if the player went out of bounds, the clock stopped.

When Maroney went out of bounds in the first half there was 2:35 left. Then the Pats decided to let the clock run to the 2 minute warning. That really confused the heck out of us, and I thought I finally got this rule down.

I read on a different board that the clock only stops on out-of-bounds plays with <2 minutes left in the first half and <5 minutes left in the second half. I'm not sure if this is accurate.

WV-Colt said:
With the exception of the last two minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the second half, the game clock will be restarted following a kickoff return, a player going out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, or after declined penalties when appropriate on the referee’s signal.

thank you, I totally missed that there was a change at all until last night.... that really changes things for a team going into the half with over two minutes to play (if they dont have timeouts etc).... I would prefer it be with under 5 minutes in both the 2nd and 4th quarter, but who am I to judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft