Welcome to PatsFans.com

Roughing the passer getting out of hand...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by pats1, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Titans just got 30 yards of RTP penalties on this drive against the Colts. One of them was for the Tom Brady rule.

They're going to need to look at this again after the season. Clearly define what is OK to hit and when it's OK to hit it.
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Manning is involved thats enough to believe they were cheap calls
  3. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    That wasn't the Tom Brady rule. It was a below-the-knees hit. The Brady rule is that players can't continue to go after the QB after being blocked into the ground, and Vanden Bosch wasn't blocked into the ground. The first RTP was totally legit, and would have been called 5 years ago too. The second one was bogus.

I wonder if fans and the media nationwide are going to go ballistic like they did against the Pats? It would be just as stupid and misguided as it was when they went after the Pats, but at least it would be consistent.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#17 Jersey
    We saw it this afternoon and the Patriots weren't called for it when I believe it was Meriweather and another player fell into Orton's legs. I thought for sure the flag was coming, and was surprised it didn't. I think they will need to define it better - it's certainly too open to interpretation at this point.
  5. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Mortenson is goin to unload on Peyton's poor conduct in lobbying for those calls.
  6. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Really? I could have sworn Vanden Bosch was on the ground when he hit Manning in the knees. Looked very similar to Pollard.
  7. Bill B.

Bill B. Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Meriweather was blocked to the ground and just rolled into Orton's ankle. Not even close to being a penalty.
  8. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The sad part is the cheap calls are now forever known by the media as "the Tom Brady rule". I wonder if Mortenson had anything to do with that.
  9. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

#17 Jersey
    I know, I wasn't saying I thought it deserved to be a penalty at all - what I was saying was when they both rolled into his legs I thought for sure they'd get called on it - since the refs seem ready to throw a flag at any given moment for it judging by other games we've seen this season.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  10. SyN65

SyN65 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It is getting out of hand. Every call is so inconsistant.
  11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Last week someone called Brady the NFL's "Golden Boy" to me thats a description of Manning, or at least it was. Hes always been an untouchable.
  12. BradyFixesEverything

BradyFixesEverything Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I thought it was dirty, definitely a penalty.
  13. onebad86gt

onebad86gt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

to me it goes either way... a fan for the team gettin the yards isn't gonna mind it as long as there qb is ok, but a fan of a team givin up the yards will argue it almost everytime... unless its pretty obvious..

honestly, i don't get what the defenders are supposed to do... if you hit the qb up high you take a chance of hittin the facemask or helmet and gettin a flag... and if you hit the qb low, then your prob gonna get a flag... so what exactly are they supposed to do out there? lol
  14. SoonerPatriot

SoonerPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Thought this was worth bumping after the refs just made a highly questionable PI call that will likely cost Miami the game.

This wasn't a roughing call, but nobody pays money to watch these old ***** throw flags all day. The league had better get a handle on this before it starts turning a lot of people off the game. The penalties are becoming a bit of a running joke already.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  15. JFK

JFK Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The National Fruity League.
  16. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The 'defenseless receiver' rule sucks too. Part of playing defense is intimidating wideouts when they come over the middle. It's not like the Miami guy laid out the Jets WR well after the ball was gone. He was committed to the hit while the ball was still en route, and just as the ball went through his hands he crunched him.

If they wan to try and call it spearing, where was the spearing on Denver's Brian Dawkins when he unloaded his helmet into Welker's back?
  17. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

If the ball was closer he would off caught it and took the big hit without any call. Because it was 10 feet over his head he looked defenseless and the safety put took much emphasis on knocking the guy out to make him bobble it, instead of just wrapping him up. Maybe he did that out of habit.
  18. pencilneckgeek

pencilneckgeek Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It was Wilhite, and he deliberately rolled to get to the QB which is a penalty, despite it being a stupid rule, although I can see how the ref wasn't sure.

The interpretation of the rule to err on the side of safety is the problem. It's football; people are going to get hurt. The game needs to retain it's violent essence, and drilling a guy with your shoulder pad up high to dislodge the ball is part of that. As long as it's not a direct head shot, let it go. Every player on the field with the possible exception of cornerbacks and kickers are at high risk for head injuries. There's no getting around that. Singling out the pretty-boy QBs and WRs for protection makes no sense.
  19. Bill B.

Bill B. Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Two words for you. Darryl Stingley. Maybe you are not old enough to remember this great wide receiver, but he was paralyzed when he went up for a ball that was thrown over his head and Jack Tatum of the Raiders took a cheap shot and nailed him. Sorry, but this rule is legitimate and us Patriot fans with long memories think it is a good rule.
  20. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Colts season has been saved by ticky tack (or nonexistent) penalties on more than one occassion, and I'd be shocked if it didn't happen again.
  21. bleeds speed blue

bleeds speed blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Lobbying? Tom Brady was ecstatic to get his call, At least Manning got hit. brady got a phantom brush and you act like he was leveled. Mannings knee went backwards and he had to have it looked at. Did Peyton shake his fist in enthusiastic bliss like Brady?
  22. bleeds speed blue

bleeds speed blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Colts season has been in question on only one occasion, in which they still won.

5-0 vs. the rams or
    3-2 vs. the very capable Titans....don't know what I would be looking forward to.
  23. Bill B.

Bill B. Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

People are making too big a deal about this. Brady has just missed a year because somebody took out his knee. Brady is an emotional guy. When Suggs went after his knee, he got ticked off about it. He knew what Suggs was trying to do. He was right on top of it. He turned to the ref and motioned for the flag, which he felt he deserved. When he got the call, that was correct, he gave what he felt was a righteous fist pump. Brady's actions was a spur of the moment reaction caused by someone trying to take him out. To try to read any more than that into it is just stupid. Trying to compare how Manning would react to how Brady reacted is even stupider.
  24. bleeds speed blue

bleeds speed blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

How emotional is he? Rodney Harrison said "Take off the skirt, Tom" Should I read into that?
  25. BradyFixesEverything

BradyFixesEverything Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Wow, a Rodney quote. How about you find a Rodney quote that you don't have to read into...like this one...

"So many guys are looking up to [Peyton] that once they sense panic, they get nervous. You have to control your emotions and not allow these things to get outside the walls. I have a lot of respect for Peyton Manning, but this is a guy that needs to control his emotions."
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  26. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    Colts fans like you lose ALL ceredibility with your exaggerative BS of reality. Brady was ecstatic because he was HIT and he knew he was going to get the call because it was a hit below the knees. That wasn't the Brady Rule either as some people are calling it. That call was because of what happened to Carson Palmer. Suggs intentionally went low on Brady. It was plain as day. That's why he got bagged.

As for Peyton, he's a horse's arse who will sell his face to anyone to make a buck. I've see that pansy lobby for 1000 times more calls than Brady ever has. So, just because he didn't do it on ONE play, don't act like he's not the King of the HILL when it comes to lobbying to the refs. And, since Polian is such a big deal on the competition committee, horseface usually gets the calls whether they were there or not.
  27. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    *ROFLMAO* The 2006 AFCCG was gift-wrapped for the Colts by the refs on bogus calls. From the "Face-guarding" which Perreria even said that the rule was off the books, to the Phantom interferance call on Hobbs to the NON-CALL on Hayden when he basically raped Caldwell in the endzone.

And that is just one example of the Colts season being saved by the refs. I could go on and on with the different calls that have benefitted them. And yes, it far outweighs the calls the Pats have gotten.. By a 3 to 1 ratio at the minimum.
  28. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#50 Jersey
    Nope because even Rodney said the next day after it was taken out of context by everyone and their brother that he said it with SARCASM. Something that the Media Pundits are clueless about.
  29. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    I actually like Colts fans more often than not, but their trolls are some of the most desperate and whiny out there. Your team is really good, and has been for like a decade. Some of you need to learn to just enjoy it for what it is. I'm pretty certain that the Pats are the superior team- maybe that's why I don't feel the need to go over to Colts fans and post irritatingly about how awesome the Pats are.
  30. bleeds speed blue

bleeds speed blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You are right, we both have celebrated teams and are equally proud of them. I am usually not on here to stir anything up, just like to see "the other side" of opinion, and that is all this is anyway, opinion. I usually don't post, because I sure don't like the patriots trolls on the Colts forum. No player in the NFL is perfect, they all make mistakes. Same as the refs. I do search every rivalry forum to see the outside opinion of the Colts, and I am just flabbergasted sometimes at the way my classy, honorable Colts are perceived around the league
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.