PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie Salary Cap: length of contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamanai

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
One aspect of the draft I haven't seen given too much discussion is the length of contracts. Under the old (current) system, players drafted 1-16 can be signed for six years, 17-32 five years and all others for four years. The proposed/reported rookie deal would change that to four years for 1st rounders and three years for all others. There would be a year of RFA.

I think this is quite significant, especially for he 33rd pick. While some think this pick is going to be highly sought after because of the ability of teams to look over the draft board, the reduced length of the contract makes it somewhat less desirable. Teams have to consider if they really want to trade up to 33 for their QB of the future only to see him with his hand out again in three years?

Just something to consider. And if there is no rookie salary cap deal, I can see the Pats making a small trade up to get that extra year (six vs. five)

One aspect of the draft I haven't seen given too much discussion is the length of contracts. Under the old (current) system, players drafted 1-16 can be signed for six years, 17-32 five years and all others for four years. The proposed/reported rookie deal would change that to four years for 1st rounders and three years for all others. There would be a year of RFA.

I think this is quite significant, especially for he 33rd pick. While some think this pick is going to be highly sought after because of the ability of teams to look over the draft board, the reduced length of the contract makes it somewhat less desirable. Teams have to consider if they really want to trade up to 33 for their QB of the future only to see him with his hand out again in three years?

Just something to consider. And if there is no rookie salary cap deal, I can see the Pats making a small trade up to get that extra year (six vs. five)

The reason its this way is because the top guys are supposed to be superstars but teams started drafting too much on potential, and not actual ability.

I agree that a first rounder is worth more because the possible (likely) loinger contract length. And yes, trading up from 17 to a non-Condon player would likely result in a 6-year contract if the new CBA doesn't change the rules for the 2011 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case