PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie O-Lineman

Status
Not open for further replies.
If our O-line cut-blocks a lot this year, will that increase the chances of injuries to our D-line in practice? Has Denver had this problem over the years, does anyone know?
Excerpted from post #23 in this thread on Planet: http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24631
The Back-Side guys all cut block. This is not the Denver Bronco's method of cut blocking though. Denver cuts off the lateral movement of their combo blocks. The Pats are not combo blocking on the BS here, they are vertically cutting and trying to seal that way. Either the Pats are going easy on the opponent because it's pre-season (doubtful) or the staff does not want to go the Alex Gibbs route which many coaches feel is unethical because of the potential for injury to the opponent his methods present.
Courtesy of AllWorldTE's game analysis. The bold lines are my highlighting.

The Pats have definitely shifted priotities as far as OL goes. with the emergence of brady as a great QB they seem to want toload up that line short of spending for that monster LT.

I'm all for that, but there comes a point where you wonder if we're improving, or just shifting names at the bottom of the depth chart.

I know we had 3 OL on the squad late in the season, because I was all upset we didn't have all LBs on the squad (obsessed:eek: ). It might have been Yates, but i think he was on the team by then. I think the picked u someone and cut him a couple weeks later.

They were shifting a lot week to week, which made me think they were just trying to"look at" a lot of players for scouting purposes. Doesn't mean they'll be available, but increases the chances they'll have a bit of a "book" on a lineman if an emergency arises.

No other reason for those wholesale shifts late in the season IMO.

EDIT: At least one of those punters replaced an OL, I'm almost sure
Well, if the question is improving or shifting names I'd say the goal is improving, it stands to reason the area with the greatest room for improvement is on the bottom of the roster.

The two punters were on the squad well before Ken Walter was signed (Signed 11/25/06), BB made no effort to hustle them onto the field. I don't recall as much movement with the Practice Squad as years past;
- Spann (Signed 9/30/06. Released 11/7/06. Re-signed 11/18/06. Released 11/22/06. Re-signed 12/09/06) was up and down;
- Patrick came onboard after trying another CB out;
- Gus Scott was there briefly early on;
- Mays came up (Signed 11/4/06);
- Kight (Signed of Practice Squad 12/9/06) and Childress (Signed 12/23/06) came off near the end of the season;
- Stevenson and Barthelmes we've discussed, maybe you were thinking of Mruczkowski? (Released 9/30. signed on 11/14/06 and released on 11/18/06. Re-signed 12/2. Released on 12/9/06. Re-signed on 12/13/06.);
- Yates (Signed 10/21/06, Placed on Injured Reserve 11/13/06) came up when Neal was hurt;
- Bubin was signed around November and may be who you were thinking about, I recall being surprised Randy Hand was never signed given how short I felt they were at LT.

I believe Elgin needs to gain weight, no?

While Elgin weighed in at 277 for the combine, He's supposedly been putting on weight since then and was up to 290 for the start of training camp.

I would doubt that all these guys make it to the 53. BB feels you can always find a guard if you need one.

While Elgin weighed in at 277 for the combine, He's supposedly been putting on weight since then and was up to 290 for the start of training camp.

Still light for an OL these days. I read that article about him and his trainer.

You only hear good things about him but let's face it, all the feel good stories don't work out.

Yeah, I know I'm a wet blanket. Probably a good PS candidate since weight can de added if he's got the frame.

After watching the 1st preseason game, you have to think Elgin can play in the NFL. He did a decent job of firing out and moving Bucs off the LOS and in pass protection, he did a decent job of sinking his hips and working the Bucs rusher.
Oldenburg showed me that he has some skill, but I need to see more.

Hilliard didn't show me enough to really rate him.

All three need to get much stronger and Elgin really needs to get bigger/wider/bulkier.

I really think that if Oldenburg comes on strong, it would allow the Pats to move an existing OT for another draft pick.

If the Pats break camp with 9 OL then I see Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kazcur, O'Callaghan, Britt, Hotchien, and Elgin as the nine, with Elgin inactive for most of the games.

I think you have the right nine. Please note that two OL's should be inactive in each game.

After watching the 1st preseason game, you have to think Elgin can play in the NFL. He did a decent job of firing out and moving Bucs off the LOS and in pass protection, he did a decent job of sinking his hips and working the Bucs rusher.

All three need to get much stronger and Elgin really needs to get bigger/wider/bulkier.

I really think that if Oldenburg comes on strong, it would allow the Pats to move an existing OT for another draft pick.

If the Pats break camp with 9 OL then I see Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal, Kazcur, O'Callaghan, Britt, Hotchien, and Elgin as the nine, with Elgin inactive for most of the games.

If they keep Elgin I'd see them going with 10 OL, Scarnecchia seems to have a lot of faith in Billy Yates.

Still light for an OL these days. I read that article about him and his trainer.

You only hear good things about him but let's face it, all the feel good stories don't work out.

Yeah, I know I'm a wet blanket. Probably a good PS candidate since weight can de added if he's got the frame.

Its only 6 lbs less than Koppen. Its 15 less than Neal, Yates and Hochstein and 20 less than Mankins (310). He supposedly has excellent technique and good mobility. Now, it does seem light to be a guard since the Pats guards are 305+.

Elgin may or may not end up on the practice squad. It depends on Yates and whether he gets IRed or not. Elgin had moved past Mruczkowski and Barthelmes on the depth chart.

I think you have the right nine. Please note that two OL's should be inactive in each game.

MG - I am pretty sure that with 9, the Pats only put 1 inactive. Otherwise, you could easily run into a situation of having to play someone on the O-line who has never played before.

I am pretty sure that the Pats have gone into every game with 4 OTs and 4 Interior linemen on their game roster.

Last edited:
If they keep Elgin I'd see them going with 10 OL, Scarnecchia seems to have a lot of faith in Billy Yates.

That's only if Yates doesn't end up on the IR.

I think that they might try to stash Elgin on the PS with the temptation of giving him his full salary.

Please check the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure that you will find only three OT's suited up each game. While there may be exceptions, seven has been the norm. I believe that in most games we have had two OL's and two DL's inactive.

The backups can be rotated if we want to make sure that they get garbage time game experience.

MG - I am pretty sure that with 9, the Pats only put 1 inactive. Otherwise, you could easily run into a situation of having to play someone on the O-line who has never played before.

I am pretty sure that the Pats have gone into every game with 4 OTs and 4 Interior linemen on their game roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes