PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rolando McClain on his exit from football

Wow. That was a good read. He clearly needs to get his head right but I'm glad he's "working" on it.

I remember wanting him to be available to the Patriots in that 2010 draft but that clearly didn't happen. It was strange to me why he wasn't very good in the NFL but that explains it. He just doesn't care. I wouldn't want to have him on the Patriots just because he seems too volatile and too unreliable, at least at this point.

From reading the article it sounds like he has made very little progress so far.

I think this points out the biggest problem the draftniks face in evaluating players, they can have all the stats and measurables and clips off of YouTube in the world but they have absolutely no idea whatsoever who these prospects really are and what kind of player they will likely turn into once they have signed their pro deals, and the only way the scouts and GM's can get this information is though their coaches, teammates, and interviews. And i say that as someone who follows the draft closely every year and wanted the Patriots to draft McClain big time. When you are spending millions to hire a guy you really need to know what kind of person you are getting, and the draft process simply doesn't give us insight into that, so we can talk about who we want and who they should draft ad nauseum but the truth is that we really don't know who they really are, other than what is most superficial. And even the insight Belichick and others get on these guys from the insiders can be fatally flawed, as we saw with his relationship with Urban Meyer, who repeatedly vouched for players who turned out to have poor character and work ethic. Spikes has actually turned out pretty good but most of the Florida players that Meyer endorsed ended up as poor choices. Imo if there is one thing they really need to change about the pre draft process it is that they should allow an unlimited number of prospect interviews to allow teams as much insight as possible into the people they are actually selcting to play for them.

He'll try to come back to football when he goes broke, which will probably occur within the next year or two.

From reading the article it sounds like he has made very little progress so far.
Agreed. That story seems very unlikely to end well

NFL - Former Oakland Raiders, Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain's self-imposed exile - ESPN

I'm glad to see that he's putting his life together.

He says he wants to come back to football at some point. I think if he does, the Pats should at least kick the tires.

Why do so many posters on this forum clamor for every free agent with an injury history or personal problems???? Is it because they might be a good "value"? What did all those "value" picks get the Patriots from 2006-2009? All those 2, 3, 4, and 5 rounders should be the backbone of this team now, not guys in their first and second years....has the Pats not gone for "value" maybe Brady has another SB notch in his belt...actually its more like probably than maybe....

On a side note, the Ravens just released Michael Huff and Marcus Spears. It is funny. McClain, Spears, and Huff were all deemed as great pick ups for the Ravens and the reason why their defense would even be better this year than last. I guess yards-wise the Ravens are a better defense, but they are giving up only 0.4 less points per game so far this year from last. And let's face it, Huff, Spears, and McClain had little or nothing to make the defense better.

This just goes to show everyone who bashes Belichick the GM that even the guy who is generally considered the best GM in the league (Ozzie Newsome) can swing and miss.

He'll try to come back to football when he goes broke, which will probably occur within the next year or two.

That was one thing he managed to get right:

Four months into retirement, with football season in full swing, McClain definitely doesn't feel lost without his old job. It's not his identity. He rarely watches on Sundays. He doesn't need the money either; one smart thing he did with his millions was to hire a financial adviser.

That was one thing he managed to get right:

Good for him. But all the financial advisor can do is advise the sociopath to not make it rain in the club and buy Rolex's and Gucci shades for his entourage.

Talking the talk

Not walking the walk

Hearing him speak, he seems like an engaging, mellow, thoughtful, and affable guy.

Rolando McClain - YouTube

It's unexpected and doesn't seem to match up with what I've been reading/hearing about him.

It's similar to Suh, who sounds like a boy scout in interviews. If you'd never seen Suh play, you'd never guess he was that type of player he is based on hearing him speak.

It's almost sociopathic.

did someone mention sociopathic...hmmmmmm?

images

Could be drugs.

Could be depression.

Can't diagnose him from here as having something

no, i can't

but i have a family member with that diagnosis - from the article i read, i'd bet a shiny nickel i'm close to right

lots of drug use is self-meidcating for mental illness......depression IS a mental health issue

guy needs help

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back