PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RKarp says NFL Will be Announcing A News Conference This Afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. The release stated that the balls were all (48) tested prior to the game, and that they were all within spec at that time, and that the Patriots backup balls and all of the Colts balls were fine when tested later.

No it does not say that. It says " Playing Rule 2, Section 1, which requires that the ball be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch. Prior to the game, the game officials inspect the footballs to be used by each team and confirm that this standard is satisfied, which was done before last Sunday’s game." It does not say that they were measured, the wording does not say that they were individually measured by an instrument nor does it say what they dropped. It does say they were inflated at halftime and remained so as they would as the temperature drop would not have occurred if done outside at halftime.

This was written by a lawyer and it is just as important to see what is not written in here. It does not say they tested each for PSI with an instrument. It doesn't say where they inflated the half time balls.

They have nothing here "We have not made any judgments on these points and will not do so until we have concluded our investigation and considered all of the relevant evidence."

No it does not say that. It says " Playing Rule 2, Section 1, which requires that the ball be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch. Prior to the game, the game officials inspect the footballs to be used by each team and confirm that this standard is satisfied, which was done before last Sunday’s game." It does not say that they were measured, the wording does not say that they were individually measured by an instrument nor does it say what they dropped. It does say they were inflated at halftime and remained so as they would as the temperature drop would not have occurred if done outside at halftime.

This was written by a lawyer and it is just as important to see what is not written in here. It does not say they tested each for PSI with an instrument. It doesn't say where they inflated the half time balls.

They have nothing here "We have not made any judgments on these points and will not do so until we have concluded our investigation and considered all of the relevant evidence."

Yes, it does say that. Being deliberately blind does not help your argument. Re-read what I wrote.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure things like this are deliberate. He chose the ones that he liked and submitted it for inspection. I don't think he has a psi meter with him when he chooses, he just picks em. It's up to the refs to check them and you may be right, perhaps they weren't as judicious as they should have been.

Exactly. Brady chooses what he likes (presumably under 12.5 PSI) and it's up to the officials to check balls. I am willing to bet the refs turn a blind eye to any balls that are either under deflated or over deflated.

Tom is going to be punished for this. The NFL has to blame someone.

I just ran this by another attorney and they agree that this is written by a lawyer and they have nothing at all. It is very important to see what is not included in this which should be.

At no point do they state the balls were deflated. They state the balls were under-inflated

3 points

1) Statement never state that the reffs physically measured PSI pregame and they do not provide the PSI drop. If the refs had done this it would have been spelled out and they would have used the word deflation or deflated which they do not use.
2) "While the evidence thus far supports the conclusion that footballs that were under-inflated were used by the Patriots in the first half, the footballs were properly inflated for the second half and confirmed at the conclusion of the game to have remained properly inflated." That balls inflated at halftime, probably outdoors world not deflate from temp drop so this is meaningless.
3) "We have not made any judgments on these points and will not do so until we have concluded our investigation and considered all of the relevant evidence."

For any punishment, there MUST be conclusive evidence. Logic can't be used...i.e. the NFL can't use the "The Patriots were the only ones that could have done it" line.

No evidence, no punishment.

So yeah, I'm hoping that no evidence is found.

For any punishment, there MUST be conclusive evidence. Logic can't be used...i.e. the NFL can't use the "The Patriots were the only ones that could have done it" line.

Why "MUST" there be? It's Roger's Rules, not a court of law. (I mean I agree with you that's the way it should be, of course.)

This is 2007 all over again. I'll bet money they wait until the day of or the night before the Super Bowl to release their results and decisions.

The simplest explanation is temperature drop. That would explain up to 1.5 psi loss. Colts balls may have been 13.5PSI with air inside them of 60 degrees. Or whatever. They may have measured 13 PSI at 45. It's apples and oranges.

Pats could appeal any fine citing that and they'd win. In a court of law it'd be thrown out. It's laughable.

They're going to study film. The refs most likely (IMO) gave the balls to ball boys on the sidelines 5 minutes or so before the game. And there were dozens of cameras. If no cameras saw anything, then it's temperature. That's the only thing it could be.

Ask the kid who pumped them up his procedure. I bet he deflated them and then inflates them...not realizing that the warm air he's inflating them with will lose pressure on the cold field. Or maybe the balls were sitting inside and he measured the pressure and let the air out until it was 12.5. Then when outside...presto.

The note didn't say "temperatures alone couldn't explain the PSI drop (from 12.5PSI)." They probably would have if that were true.

Why "MUST" there be? It's Roger's Rules, not a court of law. (I mean I agree with you that's the way it should be, of course.)

No, it's not "Roger's Rules".

There is also a Players Union and they can contest on behalf of Brady.

I do believe that Belichick is on his own, however. Isn't he the lone NFL HC who isn't a member of the coaches union? - - therefore he is always the only one not portrayed in Madden? I don't play Madden, but I always heard it was a point of humor that he was the only coach portayed as "Head Coach" instead of the name. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

If the ball boy is an NFL employee and not a Patriots employee, that is excellent news !
It is his job to control the game balls after being checked by the NFL.
If he is not a Patriots employee, the Patriots should point their finger at the NFL !

The Patriots should let Goodell know that they will fight any penalty and drag the NFL
& Goodell through the mud if necessary.

I am a firm believer, that the best defense is a good offense.

No, it's not "Roger's Rules".

There is also a Players Union and they can contest on behalf of Brady.

I do believe that Belichick is on his own, however. Isn't he the lone NFL HC who isn't a member of the coaches union? - - therefore he is always the only one not portrayed in Madden? I don't play Madden, but I always heard it was a point of humor that he was the only coach portayed as "Head Coach" instead of the name. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

In more recent versions, he's been known as "Chad Masters" or something like that. But yeah, your overall point remains.

If the ball boy is an NFL employee and not a Patriots employee, that is excellent news !
It is his job to control the game balls after being checked by the NFL.
If he is not a Patriots employee, the Patriots should point their finger at the NFL !

The Patriots should let Goodell know that they will fight any penalty and drag the NFL
& Goodell through the mud if necessary.

I am a firm believer, that the best defense is a good offense.

According to the reports I've read, the ballboys are selected and vetted by the Patriots, and they work with the Patriots, and for all intents and purposes they're the Patriots' ballboys, but theyr're actually paid by the NFL. Which, if true, would make them NFL employees.

Not true. The release stated that the balls were all (48) tested prior to the game, and that they were all within spec at that time, and that the Patriots backup balls and all of the Colts balls were fine when tested later.

"Playing Rule 2, Section 1, which requires that the ball be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch. Prior to the game, the game officials inspect the footballs to be used by each team and confirm that this standard is satisfied, which was done before last Sunday's game."

Define inspect. Visual and/or Feel and/or Gauge? Didn't the refs prove their visual and feel capabilities are incapable based on a first half full of grasping unofficial footballs yet not noticing?
If that is all accurate, anything short of pressure gauged measurement invalidates any possibility of conclusion 'The balls dropped X air pressure from inspection to game time'. And unless someone confesses or video evidence is obtained, whatever the NFL said is not material from a 'fairness' aspect.

In more recent versions, he's been known as "Chad Masters" or something like that. But yeah, your overall point remains.
And Chad Masters looks nothing like Belichick. He is thin and wears glasses. Though he is an excellent coach in the gaming world. :p

"Playing Rule 2, Section 1, which requires that the ball be inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch. Prior to the game, the game officials inspect the footballs to be used by each team and confirm that this standard is satisfied, which was done before last Sunday's game."

Define inspect. Visual and/or Feel and/or Gauge? Didn't the refs prove their visual and feel capabilities are incapable based on a first half full of grasping unofficial footballs yet not noticing?
If that is all accurate, anything short of pressure gauged measurement invalidates any possibility of conclusion 'The balls dropped X air pressure from inspection to game time'. And unless someone confesses or video evidence is obtained, whatever the NFL said is not material from a 'fairness' aspect.

I'm not going to define inspect. I was dealing with the statement as written, nothing more. Dr. Pain is apparently dealing with the statement as testimony, which it is not. The league wrote what it wrote.

I'm not going to define inspect. I was dealing with the statement as written, nothing more. Dr. Pain is apparently dealing with the statement as testimony, which it is not. The league wrote what it wrote.

My mistake, sorry.

I just ran this by another attorney and they agree that this is written by a lawyer and they have nothing at all. It is very important to see what is not included in this which should be.

At no point do they state the balls were deflated. They state the balls were under-inflated

3 points

1) Statement never state that the reffs physically measured PSI pregame and they do not provide the PSI drop. If the refs had done this it would have been spelled out and they would have used the word deflation or deflated which they do not use.
2) "While the evidence thus far supports the conclusion that footballs that were under-inflated were used by the Patriots in the first half, the footballs were properly inflated for the second half and confirmed at the conclusion of the game to have remained properly inflated." That balls inflated at halftime, probably outdoors world not deflate from temp drop so this is meaningless.
3) "We have not made any judgments on these points and will not do so until we have concluded our investigation and considered all of the relevant evidence."
Someone please call 98.5. & rattle off this screed to Herr felger and his pipsqueak!!!!!!

Really starting to go back to my belief this is just a diversion so the NFL can avoid a ****show over domestic violence next week from all the press covering Super Bowl (especially non-sports press). Otherwise, I've never seen a larger mountain constructed from a smaller mo-hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News