PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revisting the Wes Welker trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought it was a great deal. Also thought Sammy Morris was a great back up. Also wanted Moss on this team since the day the rumor started, figuring if he was going to live or die somewhere, why not try him out here.

Glad on all three counts.

compared to what we paid for moss and stallworth, we definitely overpaid for welker.

i hope we overpay like this next off-season too.

leave him alone!!!! leave aqua alone!!! leave ginn alone!!!! LEAVE EM ALONE!!!!

I don't think the fins were robbed but I do think it was a good trade. There were lots of people around the league thinking that we were nuts but Welker was just what we needed.

I was all for it the minute the free agent offer sheet signing and then subsequent trade was announced. I remembered the problems he gave us and couldn't wait to see him in a Patriots uniform.

I know you are trying to justify a #9 pick for a kick returner that you claimed earlier was going to tear up the NFL as a receiver. You also claimed that Cam was only "smoke screening" when he said ginn would be pretty much returning kicks...but really you should check your facts.

Punt returns

Ginn 9 for 63 yards....7.0 avg and 18th in the NFL

Welker 11 for 126 yards....11.5 avg and 7th in the NFL

Kick returns

Ginn 20 for 505 yards....25.3 yard avg and 16th in the NFL

Welker 2 for 51 yards....25.5 yard avg and 15th in the NFL

So for review...7th is better than 18th and 15th is better than 16th.

Now I know the doofins did not take Ginn 9th just to return kicks did they...of course not! SOOOO

Receiving

Ginn 3 for 83 yards....ZERO TD's

Welker 38 for 386 yards.....THREE TD's

Why do you even come here?

Wow. Pwned.

I continually insisted that, while Welker was a nice little player, the Patriots overpaid. Glad to be wrong.

I will never understand the very high value teams and fans put on draft picks in the NFL. You never know how they will perform at the pro level (how many first round busts have there been not related to injury?).

IIRC, the Pats did get Light and Geno in round 2, but they also got Klemm and Hill and Bethel in round 2.

With Welker, BB saw what he was getting and knew he could perform at the NFL level. I can honestly say I never thought it was too much for this much heart and versatility ... a worthy successor to Troy Brown.

I really had no idea what to expect. I had only seen him when the Pats played them and never really knew much about him. What a great pick-up he's been! I really wonder what the hell the Doofins were thinking, although thinking doesn't seem to be part of their M.O.

I heard a Jest fan describe him as a Wayne Chrebet, but with speed and talent. :) I think that about sums it up!

I love the guy, but are we going to have a thread like this every time he has a good game?

So, how many people still feel that trading 2nd (28th/ 60th overall) & 7th (28th/238th overall) round picks was overpaying?

I'll admit I was wrong. Not for getting Welker (which I thought was a great idea) but for what I thought Welker would bring to the Pats' offense. I really thought he would be exclusively running short slants, quick outs and comebacks for 1st downs...which is exactly what the Pats needed to keep drives alive. Instead, they are using him all over the field...even as a downfield weapon. He has turned into the final dimension (with Moss, Stallworth, Watson and Faulk) that makes the Pats O impossible to cover.

If I'm the Dolphins, I still let Welker go. The Fins have much bigger issues than what they lost with Welker. Satele (sp?) is a step in the right direction...only 30 or 40 more steps to go.

One thing is certain, between Moss and Welker the Pats had a great draft, even if none of the players they picked work out.

for a 2nd, 4th and 7th they completely changed the dynamics of their offense. What a draft.

Ted Ginn has nothing to do with the trade, so discount that player.
Beg to differ. You traded your return man, and two months later you draft a return man. But then you've been in denial for years.

The Dolphins selected Samson Satele with that pick and Satele has been one of the top 10 centers in the NFL this season. He's a great player to build a line around and I couldn't be happier that we got him.
Top ten centers? Is that why you guys are 0-7?

I'm with Real World, i was ecstatic when I heard they traded for Welker. I was never worried about them not getting their worth. I shook my head that last two years everytime he dinked, dunked, and dodged his way to extra yards affter an awesome catch or on a return, wishing that he was on the Pats - now he is. Love Welker.

Last edited:
Beg to differ. You traded your return man, and two months later you draft a return man. But then you've been in denial for years.

Top ten centers? Is that why you guys are 0-7?

Yes, the Ginn statement is pure denial, but Miami's record has little to do with how Satele has played. Miami has run the ball a lot better this year despite little to no production from the QB spot, so the guy could be good. I can't say because I haven't watched a single Miami game yet, but I do have to admit that A4E's past certainly isn't something in Satele's favor.

The Pats were going to sign Welker to a contract (with one of those infamous "poison pills" i.e. he gets an extra 5 million if he pays 6 home games in Miami in a year) and pay the 2nd draft pick for compensation. What they did, was make it a trade instead, (as to not piss off, a division rival, and not have the Dolphins do the same thing in turn to the Pats later on). Think about it, the most famous "poison pills" have been between Minnisota and Seattle (Minnisota did it to Seattle with Hutchinson, and then Seattle returned the favor with Burleson) BB smartly didn't want to get into this sort of pissing match with the Dolphins so he added the 7th round pick (let's face it, how many 7th rd picks are making this team?).

It was just good business.

Did you see the stats from Welker's high school championship game on TV last night?

The numbers were sick - I think it was 3TDs, a INT, a FG PLUS some rushing yards as well.

No truth to the rumor that he was selling popcorn and hot dogs in the stands too. LOL

Did you see the stats from Welker's high school championship game on TV last night?

The numbers were sick - I think it was 3TDs, a INT, a FG PLUS some rushing yards as well.

No truth to the rumor that he was selling popcorn and hot dogs in the stands too. LOL

So THAT'S where the Pats got the popcorn! ;) Has anyone seen a clip of the alleged popcorn eating? I keep hearing about it but I haven't seen it yet.

I was exctatic when the Pats went after Welker. Like BB I'd watched him torch the Pats. We couldn't stop the little wanker. A perfect fit as a slot receiver. The best part was all the hysteria from fans here who simply do not understand BB's philosophy when BB added the 7th rounder to the deal (see FTW's excellent post #37).

I was much more sanguine about the Moss deal, not knowing how he'd do but I did feel that a 4th was a very cheap price to try the ride. Moss greatly exceeded my expectations in every way, production, team player...

Best Patriots draft in the BB era, except for taking MVP HOF Brady 6th.

Last edited:
I'll admit I was wrong. Not for getting Welker (which I thought was a great idea) but for what I thought Welker would bring to the Pats' offense. I really thought he would be exclusively running short slants, quick outs and comebacks for 1st downs...which is exactly what the Pats needed to keep drives alive. Instead, they are using him all over the field...even as a downfield weapon. He has turned into the final dimension (with Moss, Stallworth, Watson and Faulk) that makes the Pats O impossible to cover.

If I'm the Dolphins, I still let Welker go. The Fins have much bigger issues than what they lost with Welker. Satele (sp?) is a step in the right direction...only 30 or 40 more steps to go.

I was wrong about Sammy Morris in a similar way. I didn't mind the player, I just didn't think he'd add much. Boy was I wrong there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST