Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Some very interesting stuff in here.
Revis was truly shut down. Facing an average of over 40 pass attempts a game, on average he was thrown at less than 5 times for 2.3 completions a game, and 33.3 yards, facing the top receivers in the game.

Other interesting stuff:
Butler was toast, getting picked on often 29 throws in 107 snaps, and getting torched on those 29.
McCourty was only targetted 20 times ALL SEASON and allowed less than a catch a game and about 8 receiving yards. Playing deep safety and allowing 139 yards in a season is insane. Major snub in the ProBowl joke of a vote.
Duron Harmon played 214 snaps in coverage and was targeted 2 times, and did not allow a single catch. While Chung still had coverage issues, Harmon has really solidified that other safety position in passing situations.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/darrelle-revis-shines-in-patriots-2014-season-long-pass-coverage-stats/
yards.jpg

My first thought about the deep safeties (McCourty, Harmon) is that on most plays, it would be impossible to "target" them, depending on how you count. (E.g., if a throw into CB/S bracket coverage is counted as a target against the CB.)

And the last chart in the article illustrates the point. Harmon is listed with >100 snaps/target; McCourty is listed with >30; but the highest number for a CB is Revis' 8.3.

In other news, Browner and Arrington had generally good-looking numbers; Ryan's were meh; Dennard's were poor; Butler's were terrible.

Outside of Revis, Collins was impressive. He and Arrington jump off the page at me.

Outside of Revis, Collins was impressive. He and Arrington jump off the page at me.

Yup. He played 498 coverage snaps, more than anyone except for McCourty and Revis, had 2 INTs, gave up only 1 TD, and had an opposing QBR of 54.

Thanks for finding this. It will make for some interesting conversations while we have to endure the interminable wait until 1/10. A few brief comments to get the ball rolling.

1. You can't help but be impressed with Jamie Collins coverage skills. He truly is remarkable.

2. For all the grief he gets, Hightower had a much better year in coverage that last. He clearly upped his game on all levels this year.

3. When they get Mayo back, who is a good coverage LB, I'm hoping that it will free up Hightower and Collins to rush the passer more.

4. Butler's stats suck no doubt, but I like what I've see from him. He is rarely badly beaten and in a lot of cases extremely close to making plays. He was also a victim of more than his fair share of perfect throws and remarkable catches (much like McCourty was his 2nd year).

I think in Butler's case your have to look past the stats and look at the potential. Not only was he a rookie UDFA, he came from a 2nd tier program, so there is room for a lot of upside over the next 2 years. I would expect that next year, a lot of those plays he "just" missed, he'll make. JMHO

5. With the addition of Chung and another year's experience, the entire S group experienced a huge improvement. Much of that improvement comes from more quality depth. I felt Gregory was a bit under appreciated. Its not that he was a star, but he wasn't a liability either.. So when he wasn't out there S became a liability. Plus the lack of depth limited what the DC could scheme

This year with the improved play of Harmon and Wilson, Patricia is able to not only give Chung a blow without a drop off in quality, he has more realistic options for various schemes that utilize multiple S's Even Ebner has gotten in there for some regular defensive snaps and hasn't looked lost.

Last edited:
Shows me Tavon Wilson can take Chungs spot NeXT year and Chung can move on, unless he resign for min.

Call me a homer but if Collins improves just a little more next year in all areas he is a legitimate DPOY candidate.

But remember....he was a horrible pick for this team....;)

To be fair, the most complaining we have had recently was about Easley and concerns about his health. Too soon to call him a bust, but...just sayin'...

Great find @AndyJohnson - not surprised by Revis' excellent play. Also impressed with Collins, Arrington, & Browner. The latter of which I was not expecting to be as consistently good as he has been - nor as good as these numbers show. Those are pretty effective stats.

I think the team was probably hoping Butler could become a 4 down player Arrington is, a guy who is a key STer, but also can play multiple spots on defense - but right now that isn't panning out. We can see why the Pats value Arrington as high as they do. Ryan's #s are solid, and about meet what the eye test was indicating - as long as our top 4CBs are healthy, we're in ridiculously good shape.

Well, now we know why Dennard was inactive before landing on IR. A CB giving up 70% completion for 10 yards a clip is pretty unacceptable.

Collins, Browner, Revis, Arrington & Wilson have very good completion %. Also: in 112 coverage snaps Tavon Wilson was only targeted 12 times? That's shut down :p

Call me a homer but if Collins improves just a little more next year in all areas he is a legitimate DPOY candidate.
If he plays like he did in the second half over the course of the entire season he is absolutely in the mix. The kid is turning into a superstar in front of all of us.

back up the dump truck of cash this offseason...do it kraft...do itttt

Shows me Tavon Wilson can take Chungs spot NeXT year and Chung can move on, unless he resign for min.
Chung has his strengths but any type of pass defense beyond 10 yards of the LoS is not one of them.

I don't think that's out of the question. He makes game-changing plays every single week, in so many different ways. If he can up it another notch or two, then he's going to be very elite.

Well, now we know why Dennard was inactive before landing on IR. A CB giving up 70% completion for 10 yards a clip is pretty unacceptable.

I don't think Dennard has been healthy all year. Couple that with his off season surgery, jail time, Revis and Browner being better players this was a lost season for him. With that said- and depending on the Revis situation his time with the Pats may be coming to an end.

Collins, Browner, Revis, Arrington & Wilson have very good completion %. Also: in 112 coverage snaps Tavon Wilson was only targeted 12 times? That's shut down :p
While he seems to be more active this year, with only 12 targets being the sample size I'm not quite ready to say he is better in coverage than in prior years.

Some very interesting stuff in here.
Revis was truly shut down. Facing an average of over 40 pass attempts a game, on average he was thrown at less than 5 times for 2.3 completions a game, and 33.3 yards, facing the top receivers in the game.

Other interesting stuff:
Butler was toast, getting picked on often 29 throws in 107 snaps, and getting torched on those 29.
McCourty was only targetted 20 times ALL SEASON and allowed less than a catch a game and about 8 receiving yards. Playing deep safety and allowing 139 yards in a season is insane. Major snub in the ProBowl joke of a vote.
Duron Harmon played 214 snaps in coverage and was targeted 2 times, and did not allow a single catch. While Chung still had coverage issues, Harmon has really solidified that other safety position in passing situations.

http://nesn.com/2014/12/darrelle-revis-shines-in-patriots-2014-season-long-pass-coverage-stats/
yards.jpg

So overall the Pats allowed 289 completions in 509 attempts for a 56.7% completion rate, giving up 21 TDs and producing 15 INTs. Not too shabby.

So overall the Pats allowed 289 completions in 509 attempts for a 56.7% completion rate, giving up 21 TDs and producing 15 INTs. Not too shabby.

Really should have been 20 TD. Revis went out for 1 play and his replacement Ryan got picked by Mayo which gave Green a step on Ryan.

Which was a garbage time TD and I count 5 garbage time passing TDs allowed. (6 if you wanna argue both Denver's TD in the 2nd half were garbage time not just the 2nd one).

Last passing TD they allowed in the 2nd half to an offensive player was Ronnie Hillman in the Denver game. a Colts OL caught one when they were at the 1/2 yard line after Zach Moore let him get a free release.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes