PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Revealing Kris Jenkins interview; lauds Patriots training regimen

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Shakey Weights episode on Hard Knocks..

Trying to envision Rexy introducing Pilates or Acupuncture, my brain is having difficult wrapping around this stuff..

He's right about the recovery. You don't notice it so much in high school, but you start to notice it in college for sure.

Maybe the Panthers and Jets are different, but we did a ton of lifting design to build up leg and back strength.

The modern version of acupuncture, with "pressure points" and "meridans", dates to 1957. That date is somewhat easy to remember, since the number 57 is also the current number of controlled clinical trials that demonstrate its ineffectiveness.

Sure there are ancient writings referring to needles used for bloodletting, a practice that did remain mainstream for thousands of years.

history: Science-Based Medicine » Puncturing the Acupuncture Myth

I certainly don't mind it if you use any placebo you like. Just don't make me pay for it or try to describe it as scientifically validated "medicine".

Your skepticism may, or may not, be valid, but there are studies out there that indicate acupuncture is not all about a placebo effect, particularly in specific areas such as pain relief.

Older guy's perspective here.
Core strength training has been key to my being able to stay reasonably fit for decades. I had a weak lower back when young but strengthened the surrounding muscles and have no back problems or aches and pains decades later. Pilates and other core strength training like aerobic kickboxing for older guys can keep you fit and able to avoid falls or take them w/o injury, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to start and maintain an approach such as advocated here if you want to feel good when older. My only problem is a few LBS around the gut that I'd need more discipline than I have to get rid of it.

Having recently been in a living room with PWP during a game I can attest to just how buff and in shape he still is. :amusic:

After the Shakey Weights episode on Hard Knocks..

Trying to envision Rexy introducing Pilates or Acupuncture, my brain is having difficult wrapping around this stuff..

Well...if Rex is the one doing the introducing to the subject then for starters we're gonna need some goddamn gigantic needles. Not easy penetrating that 10 inch protective layer of blubber he has around him

northern-elephant-seal.jpeg

rex2.jpg

I don't know how much Acupuncture is placebo and how much "real medicine."

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with placebo medicine. The most important aspect of any recovery is the will and desire to recover. If acupuncture is nothing more than giving people the will to heal than it may not be pure medicine, but if so then its doctors are the worldest greatest physcologists.

A famous retired Patriots LB was into martial arts core training. Helped him be a feared sack monster. Looks good to this day.

Last edited:
to step away from the merits of eastern medicine, can anyone explain how this exceptional workout regime that BB is lauded with implementing has caused this team to get completely bullied in the three most important games they've played since Feb 2008? They've simply been out muscled in the trenches, can't bring guys down and been at a severe physical disadvantage in general.

Last edited:
Science tends to be limited by what we already know. Like I said in an earlier post, I have a doctor friend (neurologist) who's as staunch a scientific advocate as you're apt to find, yet he endorses acupuncture. He admits that it's based on a sort of energy medicine that science doesn't yet have the means to identify.

Agreed. I was just trying to say that there are dogmas in all fields of studies.

to step away from the merits of eastern medicine, can anyone explain how this exceptional workout regime that BB is lauded with implementing has caused this team to get completely bullied in the three most important games they've played since Feb 2008? They've simply been out muscled in the trenches, can't bring guys down and been at a severe physical disadvantage in general.

Because training staffs can't genetically modify humans?

Pilates was invented as boxer training.

Acupuncture doesn't seem to have any effect aside from placebo but at least it is harmless.

Actually I'm pretty sure there's clinical evidence indicating that Accupuncture has various and numerous positive impacts. Those patients undergoing surgery in oriental operating rooms with nothing more than acupuncture also might not agree their anesthesia was simply a placebo.

The U.S. National Institute of Health even recommends acupuncture for certain conditions.

Determining exactly WHY it works is more the matter of debate.

Regardless it was a fascinating read on many levels - which of course resulted in nothing but smack talk from the peanut gallery on PFT - but it's a must read for any true football fan.

Last edited:
Not to give Jenkins too hard a time, but that was a pretty rambling article. It was all over the place, and not too coherently structured. It would be one thing if this was a transcript of a verbal interview, but the editor who reviewed this should be a little ashamed of himself!

You are so dead wrong on that. If acupuncture wasn't effective in any way it wouldn't have survived for 5,000 years. That's older than Western medicine.
It's lasted 5,000 years because it became ingrained in Chinese culture, not because it's been proven to work. The placebo effect is incredibly easy to fool people with.

Bloodletting was used for 2,000 years. Are you going to ask for leeches next time you go to the doctor?

Last edited:
Acupuncture doesn't seem to have any effect aside from placebo but at least it is harmless.

Those animals people do acupuncture to must be buying into all that mysticism and nonsense.

It's lasted 5,000 years because it became ingrained in Chinese culture, not because it's been proven to work. The placebo effect is incredibly easy to fool people with.

Bloodletting with leeches was used for 2,000 years. Are you going to ask for leeches next time you go to the doctor?

Umm.....

Ellen Moody's Teaching

Bloodletting was used for 2,000 years. Are you going to ask for leeches next time you go to the doctor?

I've seen blootletting work first-hand, pretty wild to see a drop or two of BLACK blood emerge from a pin prick.

So because leech saliva contains some chemicals that might be beneficial for a few medical conditions, you think bloodletting is a legitimate medical practice?

I'm sure you'll be cutting yourself right open next time you have an upper respiratory infection.

It's lasted 5,000 years because it became ingrained in Chinese culture, not because it's been proven to work.

I would characterize that as an insult to Chinese medicine as well as the culture.

So because leech saliva contains some chemicals that might be beneficial for a few medical conditions, you think bloodletting is a legitimate medical practice?

I'm sure you'll be cutting yourself right open next time you have an upper respiratory infection.

You're the one who was disparaging the use of leeches. I was merely pointing out that leeches are, in fact, used in modern medicine. Maggots are, too, for that matter.

I would characterize that as an insult to Chinese medicine as well as the culture.
Western medicine has a superiority complex. Everything needs a rational explanation and "proven" data behind it. They can't quantify why some things that make "no fundamental sense" working as "unproven", "untested" or simply "placebo".

You only have to observe the great physiotherapy versus soft tissue practitioner debate to see how "stupid" traditional Western debate and approaches to medicine have become.

All a matter of personal opinion. Different things work for different people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand