PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Vince Wilfork Considering Return To Patriots In Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people reluctant for a Wilfork reunion? Was he that bad of a player, in 2014? Was he a malcontent?
Was he looking for top $$ (ala Revis)? No is the answer.

If he takes less to come back, Patriots should be happy.

You quoted me.

See the Jersey under my Avatar? I'd love him back both personally and for the team. My post was about a writer taking a tweet that said 4 teams are interested and turning it into a lie about Vince triumphantly returning.

If true, I'll drive him from the airport and carry his bag.

Did someone forget to tell me, so I could make a speech?

Oh well. I'd like to thank all the little people...

You quoted me.

See the Jersey under my Avatar? I'd love him back both personally and for the team. My post was about a writer taking a tweet that said 4 teams are interested and turning it into a lie about Vince triumphantly returning.

If true, I'll drive him from the airport and carry his bag.

My bad. I thought you were against a reunion... :(

Yes, unless Patriots make a trade to get a younger Wilfork, the current DTs/NTs in free agency is not very good... Patriots would be getting a Wilfork with a pay-cut, so it is a win-win deal...

My bad. I thought you were against a reunion... :(

Yes, unless Patriots make a trade to get a younger Wilfork, the current DTs/NTs in free agency is not very good... Patriots would be getting a Wilfork with a pay-cut, so it is a win-win deal...

There isn't a younger Wilfork. There are a handful of impact tackles we'll never have a shot at and some good tackles that might be better in some ways, but you just can't invent dominant 350 pounders who know how to play and give complete effort. A lot of underachievers who are only in the conversation because of size.

I'd be curious to see what was wrong with pot roast. I don't believe the BS about his high school buddy.

What about his HS buddy? I'm clueless.
(Ball all teed up)

(Ball all teed up)

Knighton’s decision to sign in Washington reunites him with his best friend and former high school teammate Chris Baker, who tweeted Thursday evening, “#PotRoast2DC it’s real the deal is done #SWAGGYTIME reunited wit my dawg it’s going down #860 HTTR”

Knighton, who was also courted by the Raiders, will be the best man in Baker’s wedding this week.

The addition of Knighton, of course, does much more than bring together two childhood buddies. It also continues the transformation of what had become an aging and underperforming defensive line.

(Ball all teed up)

Apparently, Pot roast chose to give up multiple millions because his buddy played on whatever team signed him [can't remember].

I say that because a 4 mil 1 year contract seemed less than market for a successful big DT.

Sometimes, there is nothing wrong with moving your bishop or knight back and forth while your opponent gets fancy and exposes their king.

Other times your Bishop's just in the way :)
bishoppats.jpg

The addition of Knighton, of course, does much more than bring together two childhood buddies. It also continues the transformation of what had become an aging and underperforming defensive line.

I wish I had a dollar for every time the Redskins have solved their defensive line problems by signing free agents.

The fact that Knighton was signed for $4 million after bidding by two of the most wretched franchises in the NFL tells me where the market is for big fatty NTs. It's just not a premium position in a passing league. I

I'm not crazy about bringing Wilfork back. Sometimes a clean break at the right time is best for everyone. But, I suppose a 1 year $4 million deal as a 2 down player would be OK, depending on how he graded out last year.

:) It was just so there!

I'm not crazy about bringing Wilfork back. Sometimes a clean break at the right time is best for everyone. But, I suppose a 1 year $4 million deal as a 2 down player would be OK, depending on how he graded out last year.

I think everyone can agree that 2014 VW was not 2012 VW. Overall he was above-average and did the job.

To your point, even though VW played 73% of the snaps last year, because of age and the desire to integrate younger players who may be able to provide more of a pass rush in a passing league, I don't expect him to have that same number in 2015. That also might be the reason you are seeing the market for VW not a strong one.

Who did you have in mind? Money can't make or build a player.

Trade for a player that is a bit costly or get the best FA option available that is not a big time run liability (cause I don't want to go too undersized considering Easley is in there) but a good pass rusher.

Right now I am leaning towards Randy Starks. Is he Suh? Nope. But he is the best available for what I would like the Pats to run and a better fit that Wilfork for a pass rushing front 4. Wilfork just can not rush the passer anymore.

There were a few better options available when I made that post you quoted but as is true in FA. Things change fast.

There isn't a younger Wilfork. There are a handful of impact tackles we'll never have a shot at and some good tackles that might be better in some ways, but you just can't invent dominant 350 pounders who know how to play and give complete effort. A lot of underachievers who are only in the conversation because of size.

I'd be curious to see what was wrong with pot roast. I don't believe the BS about his high school buddy.

I hear he was out of shape and it made some teams nervous about his commitment. But honestly who knows?

O Solo/Mia...

With the Alan Branch signing, does this mean the door is closed for Wilfork?

I'd put him at corner.
If he keeps adding weight, the receiver would have to spend 5 or 6 seconds just circumnavigating him.

Trade for a player that is a bit costly or get the best FA option available that is not a big time run liability (cause I don't want to go too undersized considering Easley is in there) but a good pass rusher.

Right now I am leaning towards Randy Starks. Is he Suh? Nope. But he is the best available for what I would like the Pats to run and a better fit that Wilfork for a pass rushing front 4. Wilfork just can not rush the passer anymore.

There were a few better options available when I made that post you quoted but as is true in FA. Things change fast.

There could be some alternatives, but two years of Vince after a full off season without the achilles at the right price is certainly an alternative.

Someone near as good but younger and affordable. It's possible in a way other unlikely things are possible.

Signing of Branch makes a complimentary player more possible now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back