PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Adrian Wilson, Abraham to visit Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big ol party in Foxboro today:

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
In addition to John Abraham and Adrian Wilson, the Patriots will be hosting Dwight Freeney on a free agent visit. #PatriotsTalk

Am I the only one that thinks this is much more exciting and important than all the WR talk?

These are the moves that could make a difference in winning a championship.

Welker was still playing at a high level. Abraham padded his stats vs the worst teams in the NFL last season and was MIA for the playoffs.

Ed Reed is still playing at a high level and just helped win a certain football game in February.

Reed isn't nearly as good as he waas two years earlier, OTOH falling off from that high, he's still quite useful. However I hear the money is also pretty high on him. Also the Pats need a SS (even if in sub packages mostly) about as much as they need a FS to pair with McCourty - if Tavon isn't ready.

So is Tavon ready? Or do the Pats have a cheap FA, or mid round pick in mind for McCourty's partner (I'm assuming Gregory gets cut at some point too).

Am I the only one that thinks this is much more exciting and important than all the WR talk?

These are the moves that could make a difference in winning a championship.
Nope. I've been waiting to see what the Patriots plan for Free Agency was. Now, it looks like a little is starting to come together.

If the Patriots intend on building their roster with depth (accounting for the wonderful injury run the team seems to endure every season) then 2 or 3 players for the price of one is the way to do it.

Don't think Freeney is a great fit, but if he comes cheap, why not?

Welker was still playing at a high level. Abraham padded his stats vs the worst teams in the NFL last season and was MIA for the playoffs.

Ed Reed is still playing at a high level and just helped win a certain football game in February.

I thought Abraham injured his ankle on the last game of the regular season and didn't really play much in the playoffs? Obviously injury concerns come with older players but I don't think of his lack of production is because of ability. He also was their only real pass rusher so received all the attention.

Big ol party in Foxboro today:

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran
In addition to John Abraham and Adrian Wilson, the Patriots will be hosting Dwight Freeney on a free agent visit. #PatriotsTalk

Sign them all, you can never have too many pass rushers. Abraham and Freeney coming off the edge with Chandler Jones and Armstead rushing inside sounds pretty good to me. I have always envied the Giants D-line rotation, this would be a great start to ours.

The guy had 10 sacks, 6 FF and 7 PDef. Worst teams or not he still put up elite numbers against NFL competition. 32.5 sacks, 12 FF and 13 PDef over the last 3 seasons says no matter how old he is he is still playing at a high level and not showing signs of significant decline. Before you mentioned Shaun Ellis, why not Andre Carter? That is a much closer comparison to me.

I'd be happy seeing all three of those fools wearing the Elvis.

Maybe Wilson can fit in our nickel as the hybrid LB/S that Belichick has tried and failed to create over the years (Williams, Lynch).

Just an aside on Wilson that I don't think has been mentioned. His size creates a lot of interesting sub packages and schemes. One example: they can run a cut blitz with Mayo (or Spikes) and Wilson, where he comes from the strong side to the A gap and Mayo/Spikes darts into the B. Imagine your the center worrying about Big Vince in front of you and a huge safety hitting the A gap at full speed. Ugh.

I think Wilson and Abraham both have some scheme versatility. Abraham can contribute in odd and even fronts on the sub-defense, and probably even be moved inside like the Giants do with Tuck. Wilson has certainly slowed a step, and it's probably the reason he gets more penalties now, but he's better than anyone we have back there, can still bring it against the run, and slide down to play linebacker when needed. Smart guy too.

I'm in favor of bringing both in if the price is right. Freeney I'm not so sure. His fit seems to be limited, and I'm sure other teams will value him more. He is a Connecticut guy, so perhaps we have the edge there, along with the two New Jersey teams, if he wants to finish his career closer to home.

Of course, the talk in Denver is of cutting Dumervil to sign Freeney. In that case, I'd rather have Dumervil if Bill is comfortable with the off-field stuff.

Nope. I've been waiting to see what the Patriots plan for Free Agency was. Now, it looks like a little is starting to come together.

If the Patriots intend on building their roster with depth (accounting for the wonderful injury run the team seems to endure every season) then 2 or 3 players for the price of one is the way to do it.

I completely agree. I believe we had a Championship caliber starting 22 last season, what we didn't have was a championship caliber 53. This isn't Madden where you can turn injuries off and only build a starting lineup, injuries are a real part of this game and need to be accounted for. That's why I love this approach from the Pats because we are going to get some quality players at dirt cheap prices by being patient, letting the market play out and taking advantage of the lack of cap space around the league. We might not sign stars (former stars maybe) but we will certainly get role players, contributors and depth so we can hopefully avoid the issues of the last two years where injuries have ruined our Championship runs.

Sign them all, you can never have too many pass rushers. Abraham and Freeney coming off the edge with Chandler Jones and Armstead rushing inside sounds pretty good to me.

I'd take Abraham and Hightower on the edge with Jones and Wilfork inside, but it's the same idea. I like the idea of sparing Big Vince if Armstead pans out.

I think it's time for the coaching staff to capitalize on the fact that Hightower has some real pass rush moves, including a very strong bull rush. The best part about getting him involved in the pass rush game is that he showed to be adequate in coverage, so you could start doing some interesting blitzes with him dropping into coverage. We could create a front 7 we used to have - one where the opposing D really doesn't know where the rushers are coming from.

I'd take Abraham and Hightower on the edge with Jones and Wilfork inside, but it's the same idea. I like the idea of sparing Big Vince if Armstead pans out.

I think it's time for the coaching staff to capitalize on the fact that Hightower has some real pass rush moves, including a very strong bull rush. The best part about getting him involved in the pass rush game is that he showed to be adequate in coverage, so you could start doing some interesting blitzes with him dropping into coverage. We could create a front 7 we used to have - one where the opposing D really doesn't know where the rushers are coming from.

I agree about Hightower being used more to create pressure. My only difference is I prefer him more as a blitzer than a pure pass rusher. Instead of lining him up on the edge against an OT, I would like to see us scheme to put him up against RBs and TEs where I think he could do immense damage. If we continue to play a press man coverage, I think that would open up far more opportunities to be creative in blitzing and give guys like Hightower much more freedom to make plays.

Yet he would still be the best pass rusher on this team.

Agreed. But we're going to need more than him. Freeney is coming in for a visit today too. I'd like to see both signed to cheaper, more incentive-laden contracts.

The guy had 10 sacks, 6 FF and 7 PDef. Worst teams or not he still put up elite numbers against NFL competition. 32.5 sacks, 12 FF and 13 PDef over the last 3 seasons says no matter how old he is he is still playing at a high level and not showing signs of significant decline. Before you mentioned Shaun Ellis, why not Andre Carter? That is a much closer comparison to me.

I dont know what 3 seasons ago has to do with today and the future?
I can list a lot of players that were producers 3 seasons ago, but would be useless today. How about Deon Branch?

Abraham had killer games vs KC, CAR, OAK and PHIL and disappeared vs DEN, NYG and WASH John Abraham Game By Game Stats and Performance - ESPN

No thanks.

I can list a lot of players that were producers 3 seasons ago, but would be useless today. How about Deon Branch?

Abraham had killer games vs KC, CAR, OAK and PHIL and disappeared vs DEN, NYG and WASH John Abraham Game By Game Stats and Performance - ESPN

No thanks.

We have Jones on the other side and he's better than any other pass rusher currently on the roster. For short money I don't see any problem with this if he signs.

Its the last 3 seasons which shows a trend. A trend of elite production and no signs of significant decline.

No thanks.

And this guy disappeared against NO, Wash (twice) and Philly, so what is your point?

DeMarcus Ware Game By Game Stats and Performance - Dallas Cowboys - ESPN

I'm not saying Abraham is as better or as good as Ware, but my point is that box score doesn't really give much of an indication of the performance of a player, especially a pass rusher. The difference between John Abraham and DeMarcus Ware is that Abraham doesn't have Anthony Spencer on the other side getting 11 sacks and taking away some attention. Abraham was the only real threat on that Atl D-Line, he was schemed against and still put up 10 sacks. Now, he is aging and will slow down eventually, but that is why he would be a situational guy and not an every down DE.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Former #Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson is set to visit with the Patriots, according to a source. Interesting...

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/312378200758034432

Edit: Also, a little while later:

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
In addition to Adrian Wilson, Patriots will host ex-Falcons DE John Abraham on a visit tomorrow.

It's good to see them looking for a few wily veterans to help out their young defense but I won't rest easy until I see a few good WRs for Brady and some
cornerbacks.

Abraham is quite durable, only missed 2 games in the past 3 seasons.

Regular season. He also did miss two of the biggest games Falcons history last year. (Well, he may have been in for a couple of snaps in each but was too hurt to really play.)

Its the last 3 seasons which shows a trend. A trend of elite production and no signs of significant decline.

And this guy disappeared against NO, Wash (twice) and Philly, so what is your point?

DeMarcus Ware Game By Game Stats and Performance - Dallas Cowboys - ESPN

I'm not saying Abraham is as better or as good as Ware, but my point is that box score doesn't really give much of an indication of the performance of a player, especially a pass rusher. The difference between John Abraham and DeMarcus Ware is that Abraham doesn't have Anthony Spencer on the other side getting 11 sacks and taking away some attention. Abraham was the only real threat on that Atl D-Line, he was schemed against and still put up 10 sacks. Now, he is aging and will slow down eventually, but that is why he would be a situational guy and not an every down DE.

The point is that nobody gives a damn how many sacks and pressures he racks up against stiffs in the regular season. It's alarming that the guy hasn't been able to get to the QB against good offensive lines, because what matters is his ability to generate pressure in the playoffs. If he's got 10 sacks against the Bills in week 2, but can't sniff Manning in the playoffs, he's a useless signing.

The point is that nobody gives a damn how many sacks and pressures he racks up against stiffs in the regular season. It's alarming that the guy hasn't been able to get to the QB against good offensive lines, because what matters is his ability to generate pressure in the playoffs. If he's got 10 sacks against the Bills in week 2, but can't sniff Manning in the playoffs, he's a useless signing.

You should give a damn how many sacks and pressures he racks up against stiffs in the regular season. Because if he doesn't get those 10 sacks against the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets, we might not play Manning in the playoffs.

I'm willing to bet every single pass rusher in the league gets more sacks against bad offensive lines than they do good ones. Just like every good wide receiver gets more receptions against bad corners than good ones. It's not rocket surgery, and it's not the sign of a useless player. And I'll put faith in Belichick to use him in a way that maximizes his talents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes