PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Vollmer headed to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots right tackle is dealing with a nagging hip injury that is keeping him on the physically unable to perform list, according to a source. From here, Vollmer could either wind up on PUP to start the regular season, which would make him unavailable for at least the first six weeks of the season, or injured reserve. Jim McBride of the Boston Globe reported that Vollmer is likely headed to IR.

The other alternative with Vollmer, 32, would be to release him. Obviously, given his importance to the team both in the locker room and on the field, where he's one of the NFL's best run-blockers, that would be an unappetizing scenario.

The Patriots would save $2.675 against the salary cap if Vollmer were released, according to Miguel Benzan of PatsCap.com. His 2016 cap hit is $5.214 million.
Source: Vollmer (hip) could miss 2016 season

Is this a real injury? This team the last couple of years just can't stay healthy.

Solder
Thuney
Andrews
Cooper (get back to practicing)
Cannon

Best I can think of right now...

If Cooper comes back and can actually play, and Cannon plays like he did the other night, this might be sufficient. Big ifs.

so sources say it's a hip injury. is this something new or something lingering from last season?

We'll need to trade for a new RT. No way Cannon is going to help.

This has been a disastrous day to say the least boys... Our offensive line could barely run block or create any holes, now it's looking like we going to be a pass happy team for a while and that doesn't help a young QB like Jimmy.

This has been a disastrous day to say the least boys... Our offensive line could barely run block or create any holes, now it's looking like we going to be a pass happy team for a while and that doesn't help a young QB like Jimmy.

Well we thought the D would be able to carry this team what with JG being inexperienced and the like. Now they're really going to have to be what everyone expects and literally carry this team. I believe that they can from what little we've seen over the last month. Health is and always will be the concern.

so sources say it's a hip injury. is this something new or something lingering from last season?
Yeah, when did Vollmer sustain a hip injury?

The optimistic view:

For whatever reason, Cannon is just a better player with Scarnecchia. He played better against the Bears than he did at any point last year. His best year was 2013 with Scar. I'm hopeful he can play a solid RT this year.

I love Lewis, but he's a luxury. White is a very good receiving back and similar running to Vereen. I don't think we could rely on Lewis to carry the running load this year even if he were healthy. Simply put, Blount, Gaffney, or some new acquisition have to step up. Additionally, in 3rd and long situations this year, I'd like to see a 3 WR, 2 TE set with Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Gronk, and Bennett. In the past, there has always been a RB on the field, but I think this gives us a "best 5" receivers look for obvious passing situations.

Solder
Thuney
Andrews
Cooper (get back to practicing)
Cannon

Best I can think of right now...

I hope Dante can work with Cannon and have him become a more consistent player, otherwise we're going to be in some trouble, especially if something happens to Solder now.

Yikes, Cannon as starting RT = disaster waiting to happen. Upgrade needed.

Well the good news is as follows

RT is easier to cover for than LT. Hopefully Vollmer is back for the home stretch.
Lewis though a very good player has White to back him up who is more than competent.
Mason though a good player was not likely going to be the clear starter and just one of the guys in the rotation so not a ton is lost wit him.
Brady will be fine in a few days.

The key is all of these people can come back for the playoffs.

what a terrible sunday.

our line is still a mess. cannon fodder is going to get jimmy killed!!

Vollmer turned 32 in July. Along with his injury history, finding his ultimate replacement may be the Pats top priority for next season.

Hope it is a strong OT draft.

I wonder if Mankins could be coaxed out of retirement.

also:

Cannon is now your starting RT. Technically Vollmer could return since we don't know injury. Don't shoot the messenger. Expecting a few roster moves this week.

Mac you know what the Greeks did to messengers bearing bad news right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe