PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report (Unconfirmed) - Patriots sign Brandon Browner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to see this season come into fruition. However, isn't it a bit odd that we are using 21.33m (assuming money is evenly divided in Browner's new contract) for our top 3 earning corners (Revis - still can't stop smiling, Browner, and Arrington) and about 23m for the cornerback position in general?

No. Going from one of the worst to even average (and they sure look a lot better than average) on 3rd down pass defense is instant TOP for GOAT = points.

Well, the Pats now have their guys to shut down the two Thomases in Denver. Revis on Demarius and Browner on Julius.

Just wondering, within his new contract.. could we not have made his game cheques for week 5 to 8 $1 each, and given him the money elsewhere in the contract.. akin to a poison pill offer.

But now if the other team converts that 1st down it will come with a complementary Brandon Browner ass kicking

Hope so haha. It felt like BB was instructing the players to tackle the runners right as they hit the 1st down marker towards the end of last season. Hopefully this is an end to what was probably the worse 6 year stretch of 3rd down defense in NFL history.

For those claiming that this is a gross overpay, try to remember that not including rookies, the average salary for cornerbacks is $5.5M per season. So in essence this deal is market value, and that doesn't even take into consideration whether or not the Patriots plan to move Browner around in the secondary.

I think given his age, and overall skill-set and versatility, this is a relatively good signing. I obviously expect there to be provisions in place protecting the team in Browner gets in any further trouble off the field.

Nicely done.

Hope so haha. It felt like BB was instructing the players to tackle the runners right as they hit the 1st down marker towards the end of last season. Hopefully this is an end to what was probably the worse 6 year stretch of 3rd down defense in NFL history.

Def a world of difference when Brandon Browner is waiting for you vs Steve Gregory.

Well, the Pats now have their guys to shut down the two Thomases in Denver. Revis on Demarius and Browner on Julius.

and Decker with gang green. Game on!

For those claiming that this is a gross overpay, try to remember that not including rookies, the average salary for cornerbacks is $5.5M per season. So in essence this deal is market value, and that doesn't even take into consideration whether or not the Patriots plan to move Browner around in the secondary.

I think given his age, and overall skill-set and versatility, this is a relatively good signing. I obviously expect there to be provisions in place protecting the team in Browner gets in any further trouble off the field.

Nicely done.

I like that we paid him like the veteran he is. I expect him to go balls to the wall for this team.

Just wondering, within his new contract.. could we not have made his game cheques for week 5 to 8 $1 each, and given him the money elsewhere in the contract.. akin to a poison pill offer.

Nope. NFL contracts are for season not game by game. So his min salary with be $730,000. Which when it comes out I think it will be his salary meaning he loses half to fines from the NFL.

A lot of $$ tied up in CBs. But its a passing league. I dont mind it at all.

Vereen and rildey on NFLN now talking browner and revis. Seem giddy :)

Sounds like rap is saying last night it was 2 year 10 mill. 3rd year may be for cap purposes now but we will see

Last seasons: "Broncos at 3rd and 30. Peyton Manning takes the snap and takes 5 steps back. Manning getting no pressure from the Patriots defensive line. Manning throws to Wes Welker. Welker catches the ball. Welker breaks a tackle and gets tackled at the 1st down marker. Broncos convert 3rd and 30 to a new set of downs."

Next season: "Broncos at 3rd and 30. Peyton Manning takes the snap and takes 5 steps back. Manning getting pressure from the Patriots defensive line. Manning throws to Wes Welker. INTERCEPTED BY DARRELLE REVIS! REVIS marches in open space to the end zone! TOUCHDOWN PATRIOTS!"

:rocker:

Last seasons: "Broncos at 3rd and 30. Peyton Manning takes the snap and takes 5 steps back. Manning getting no pressure from the Patriots defensive line. Manning throws to Wes Welker. Welker catches the ball. Welker breaks a tackle and gets tackled at the 1st down marker. Broncos convert 3rd and 30 to a new set of downs."

Next season: "Broncos at 3rd and 30. Peyton Manning takes the snap and takes 5 steps back. Manning getting pressure from the Patriots defensive line. Manning throws to Wes Welker. INTERCEPTED BY DARRELLE REVIS! REVIS marches in open space to the end zone! TOUCHDOWN PATRIOTS!"

:rocker:

Better yet, Welker catches a 6 yard dump off, gets DESTROYED IN HIS FACE BY BROWNER!, ball bounces up into Revis hands, taken to the house for a TD.

Snow throwing celebration at The Razor ensues.

Glad to see my pessimism earlier was unwarranted! So excited by this signing, things are really moving in the right direction so far this offseason.

@jeffphowe: Through the wildness of this story for 24 hours, one thing is obvious: Patriots fans LOVE Brandon Browner. He's gonna be a star here.

I think given his age, and overall skill-set and versatility, this is a relatively good signing.

I think given the dramatic increases to Cap Space over the next couple of years and importance of the CB position.. this is an AWESOME signing!

... Next season: "Broncos at 3rd and 30. Peyton Manning takes the snap and takes 5 steps back. Manning getting pressure from the Patriots defensive line. Manning throws to Wes Welker. INTERCEPTED BY DARRELLE REVIS! REVIS marches in open space to the end zone! TOUCHDOWN PATRIOTS!"

Next season: "Broncos at 3rd and 30. Peyton Manning takes the snap and takes 5 steps back. Manning getting pressure from the Patriots defensive line. Manning throws to Wes Welker. Wes Welker catches the ball, but as he sets to make his first juke he is BROADSIDED by Brandon Browner. The ball flies up end over end and.. INTERCEPTED BY DARRELLE REVIS! REVIS marches in open space to the end zone! Welker is still rolling around on the ground. TOUCHDOWN PATRIOTS!"

Hopefully we will now see the cessation of "BB hasn't fixed our lousy secondary" posts.

Still work to do, but you gotta be thrilled with the way the D is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes