PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Brandon Lloyd's 'erratic behavior proved tiresome', may lead to release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad every WR they have picked up after Welker has been a bust. Yes, I am counting the perennially injured Julian.

I find it highly unlikely that they can get a WR to replace Lloyd's numbers.

To call Lloyd a bust is truly disingenuous. He was productive in the system. The problem is off the field. That doesn't make him a bust.

Ugh please let this not be true. Lloyd is good value for what he provides.

Lloyd's production is good for the money. But if the reports are true, it's definitely not worth the headache. We can get an upgrade on Lloyd elsehwere and save 4.9 mill on the cap. Yeah that works for me. A good receiver, but not great, and apparently a headcase to boot. Cya, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you!

Re: Report: Brandon Lloyd Out in NE

I always try to take what media claims with a grain of salt. But last year the PFW crew and others noted he was a real dink to Karen Guregian, something they felt underscored what they had heard about his psyche overall. He was said to be bi-polarish. A guy who could be charming one minute and just the opposite the next and for no obvious reason. Difficult to work with. Josh knew who he was but had been able to work with him better than any coach. When Josh had little choice to because he was clawing for production in Denver and St. Louis to save his life (career). Here not so much. And here WR's don't just answer to the OC, they answer to Tom and Bill.

Bedard also mentioned more than once that they had talked to Lloyd about his style... At first his effort to remain upright seemed to increase. Then it petered out again. I recall down the stretch (not sure in what game) seeing him again after a mis a connection with Tom jog back to the sideline with that not my bad look on his face and he was staring at Josh as if to get an acknowledgement and Josh literally would not make eye contact with him. Reminded me a bit of that time in 2009 when Randy was coming off the field after a drop and Bill was looking daggers at him like WTF was THAT? I knew then his days were numbered.

Everyone seemed to have to gather round and celebrate all 4 of Lloyd's TD's as if they were special... I think he suffered from that deadly combination of fragile/inflated ego. Any time a guy needs to be catered to in this offense there is a good chance he won't be back for an encore, unless of course he scores 23 TD's in the process.

When a seemingly talented player bounces around to 6 teams in a 10 year career there is usually a reason. Lloyd's own rationale is no one ever knew how to use him 'til he hooked up with Josh. Perhaps it wasn't for lack of trying... I said I'd squeeze him into restructuring that option bonus, but I wasn't sure how he'd react... They may think they already know. And if they are planning on bringing in any youngsters or a veteran FA who might not be their version of the ideal teamates, might prefer to bring them into a situation where excuses aren't an option out of the gate and there is no sympathetic presence to grouse with.

I'll say again I don't always agree with Bedard's analysis or opinion, but I do believe he has cultivated some decent sources either on the staff or in the FO. And those kind of sources seldom divulge information in a vacuum. This could easily be a message the team is sending as they get close to decision time. And given the current state of the roster that they are even grappling over that decision speaks volumes.

Excellent post.
I will add....if my memory serves me correct....early in the season when it was becoming clear that Lloyd was intent on avoiding contact, he was quoted as saying he patterned his style of play after Tori Holt (I think....definitely one of the SL WRs from the greatest show on turf teams) who played a style that ensured a long career as a pro.
Now I can understand players picking there spots when to totally commit on a play vs say running out of bounds to avoid a hit. The problem with Lloyd is that this mentality of self preservation is so ingrained into the guy's fiber that the team is now questioning if they can reach a championship level with players unwilling to fully commit.
Then factor in his personality and it is easy to believe he gets vocal selling his "surviving in this league philosophy" to others in the locker room...And we know Bill won't put up with locker room lawyers. Yes.....I'm speculating on this one....but Bedard himself verifies an erratic locker room behavior. One plus one fellas

I didn't have much of a problem with the production that Lloyd gave last season, but this sounds like it's completely unrelated to what he did on the field. It sounds like he's just a weird guy that is hard to keep on task. On Bedard's radio interview, he talked about a time when Lloyd was talking to another player about football and Lloyd said part way through the conversation that he didn't want to talk anymore, and put on his headphones. That's not the kind of thing you want from the veterans in your locker room.

Not really. If the mod is going to change my theead title, at least use fewer words.

I'm open to suggestions. The original title of "Report: Brandon Lloyd Out in NE" had at least one person believing there was confirmation that Lloyd had been/will be cut; I was just attempting to put something out there that was clearer and more factual.

Is that title really so long that people lose interest before reading all eleven words?

Last edited:
I'm open to suggestions. The original title of "Report: Brandon Lloyd Out in NE" had at least one person believing there was confirmation that Lloyd had been/will be cut; I was just attempting to put something out there that was clearer and more factual.

Is that title really so long that people lose interest before reading all eleven words?

The old title was wrong. The new title is fine. Thanks for the fix.

The new title is fine and was definitely needed. Though perhaps if I were in Bob Kraft mediation mode I might step in and suggest taking out 'proves tiresome,' just to keep the OP happy.

Ok, but "lloyd likely out" would have had the same effect....it reflects more what bedard's report actually said. My original title was not "Lloyd out in NE" but "REPORT: lloyd out in NE" - meaning that a third party was behind it.

The current title is fine. The original title was way misleading. It is speculation from Bedard that Lloyd will likely be gone because of reports of erratic behavior. But if you read his article, he admits it isn't a forgone conclusion he will be cut.

The Patriots gave up on Randy Freakin Moss when his behavior became tiresome, so it is not beyond imagining that in a season with many good WR draft prospects they'll save $4M in cap and move on. Still a gutsy move given their pathetic cast at WR. T

Very disconcerting is that in the same Bedard article he implies that Talib is a bit of a charismatic pied piper to the younger players and not in The Patriot Way. Remember the 2009 locker room with AD and the video of BB remarking to Brady on the sideline that "This team is too soft"?

Very disconcerting is that in the same Bedard article he implies that Talib is a bit of a charismatic pied piper to the younger players and not in The Patriot Way. Remember the 2009 locker room with AD and the video of BB remarking to Brady on the sideline that "This team is too soft"?

It is disconcerting, but this locker room has grown so much since then, and several new leaders have emerged. Not only is Brady a greater leader than he was then, but so to is Big Vince. Mayo is a leader, McCourty is a leader. Spikes is a warrior. All the young guys, Gronk, Hernandez, Vereen, Ridley, etc. are noted as having great work ethic.

This team can - and unfortunately, must - survive the addition (or retention) of a diva CB. That's all that's out there. Whether its Talib, or DRC or Asomugha, or whoever.

So glad to read this. Lloyd's salary to production ratio is beyond horrendous. I posted throughout the season his yards per target numbers, and they were well below Reche Caldwell and virtually every receiver we've ever had. A hobbled Hernandez outperformed him handily.

I'd much rather save this money for the secondary or spend $2-3M on a real WR who makes the offense better or a young, promising WR who will at least be on the team for a handful of years. I hope we draft a tall speedster, but let's just take what we can get.

So glad to read this. Lloyd's salary to production ratio is beyond horrendous.
How many 900 yard receivers make under $4M a year not on a rookie contract?

People here are making too big a deal out of his producttion and not focusing in on scheme. Lloyd never fit the patriots offense like a glove the way welker or edelman have. Lloyd was a third or 4th option for brady. Lloyd may have had his yards, but wallace is much better for the team's needs. Brady struggles against the ravens and giants because all of his receivers including lloyd are running 10-15 yard routes. If you confine the offense to a limited portion of the field on any given down then you are limiting your success.

He was targeted 130 times. 7.00 yards per target. Also a measly 180 yards after catch. Of the top 40 (yards-wise) receivers in the NFL, Lloyd was ranked 38th in YAC. The only players worse than that were Maclolm Floyd and Lance Moore, who averaged about 14 and 16 YPC respectively, so they are typically working the deep zone. Lloyd worked the short-middle zone all year and couldn't produce anything except a fall to the ground.

I'm not sure Lloyd would be worth bringing back at no cost. He truly may be a net loss when you consider his high targets, relatively low yardage, and non existent YAC abilities.

He and Brady never developed the "back shoulder" route which all preseason they said was critical to Lloyd's success. I knew he would be a flop on this team because of the way he plays. He would better off with a high-risk quarterback who loves to throw the ball into coverage and let the WR make dramatic catches (someone like Flacco.) Brady rarely put the ball into Lloyd's catch range because of the INT risk, and when he did put it a little bit outside the radius, Lloyd rarely made the catches he's famous for. He also had plenty of easy drops. This was a match made in hell and many here saw it coming from a mile away. Unfortunately, Josh McDaniels overlooked the obvious stylistic differences between Brady and Lloyd, thinking he could make it work.

People here are making too big a deal out of his producttion and not focusing in on scheme. Lloyd never fit the patriots offense like a glove the way welker or edelman have. Lloyd was a third or 4th option for brady. Lloyd may have had his yards, but wallace is much better for the team's needs. Brady struggles against the ravens and giants because all of his receivers including lloyd are running 10-15 yard routes. If you confine the offense to a limited portion of the field on any given down then you are limiting your success.
Well you better find someone else to wish for, because Wallace isn't happening for a ton of reasons.

Too bad every WR they have picked up after Welker has been a bust. Yes, I am counting the perennially injured Julian.

I find it highly unlikely that they can get a WR to replace Lloyd's numbers.

In the first sentence you say that Lloyd is a bust. In the third sentence you find it highly unlikely that the Pats can find someone to replace him. Which is it?

If true, it's too bad.
His cost to production was a good value.

If they lose 3m cutting him, then it makes his last year's cost to production no longer a value.

He was targeted 130 times. 7.00 yards per target. Also a measly 180 yards after catch. Of the top 40 (yards-wise) receivers in the NFL, Lloyd was ranked 38th in YAC. The only players worse than that were Maclolm Floyd and Lance Moore, who averaged about 14 and 16 YPC respectively, so they are typically working the deep zone. Lloyd worked the short-middle zone all year and couldn't produce anything except a fall to the ground.

I'm not sure Lloyd would be worth bringing back at no cost. He truly may be a net loss when you consider his high targets, relatively low yardage, and non existent YAC abilities.

He and Brady never developed the "back shoulder" route which all preseason they said was critical to Lloyd's success. I knew he would be a flop on this team because of the way he plays. He would better off wit a high-risk quarterback who loves to throw the ball into coverage and let the WR make dramatic catches (someone like Flacco.) Brady rarely put the ball into Lloyd's catch range because of the INT risk, and when he did put it a little bit outside the radius, Lloyd rarely made the catches he's famous for. He also had plenty of easy drops. This was a match made in hell and many here saw it coming from a mile away. Unfortunately, Josh McDaniels overlooked the obvious stylistic differences between Brady and Lloyd, thinking he could make it work.

You should have just answered "none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference