Report: Bill Belichick advocated for more time with players in offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Saw this story the other day ... NFL coaches are happy Bill stepped out in this initiative.
Some thought it unusual for Belichick to be in the photo this year.
But he is in it and he had things on his mind he wanted to say ... good for coach.

Report: Bill Belichick advocated for more time with players in offseason
Via Mike Reiss of ESPN, New England Patriots coach Belichick was “especially vocal” about coaches getting more time with players during the offseason, something he believes would benefit the game.
Reiss wrote that while coaches, general managers and others were gathered to hear about some of the NFL’s successes as it begins its 100th season, Belichick spoke up.

“Belichick then passionately chimed in, and essentially said something along the lines of: While it is nice to hear good things, the focus should be on how it can be even better,” Reiss wrote. “One of the ways to do that, he said, was giving coaches more time with players.” .............. Not surprisingly, Belichick’s fellow coaches were on board.

D2iTVX1U8AAsHaD.jpg

And, yet

The Patriots scheduled 7 OTA sessions, according to an NFL release. Teams can conduct a max of 10 OTAs, though the Pats have used less than their 10 allotted sessions in recent years. ATL, DEN, MIA, SF, WAS (9 each) are the only other teams to schedule less than 10 OTAs in ‘19.

I can't help smiling when I see how happy BB looks in this picture. Can't you just picture him thinking, "Ha ha! I beat yo' ***es again!"

It sounds like he is talking about coaching them up more than work-outs...

You may well be right, and my guess is that his comments were much more about training camp, with the loss of time, pad work, and two-a-days. It's just an odd dichotomy. "We need more time with the players, but we're not going to maximize our time with the players" is an odd look.

And yet

The max is 10 OTAs or 10 days.
No hitting or shoulder pads.
Voluntary.

BB was talking about training camp where the rubber meets the road and not people running around in sweat pants.

You may well be right, and my guess is that his comments were much more about training camp, with the loss of time, pad work, and two-a-days. It's just an odd dichotomy. "We need more time with the players, but we're not going to maximize our time with the players" is an odd look.

Yeah, Belichick sends mixed signals so often.

Seems like more time with new offensive players and that damn Tom Brady would be good.

Too bad that Brady character skips 7 OTAs.

Seems like more time with new offensive players and that damn Tom Brady would be good.

Too bad that Brady character skips 7 OTAs.

Yeah, he doesn’t know the offense yet.

Players got it easy nowadays. Belichick is a mountain of knowledge but has only so much time to teach. Back when two a days were a thing, he was able to really prepare his team in a way that coaches just can’t. Can’t even begin to think as great as some of these teams were, how much better they might have been?

Regardless, he’s played within the parameters set and has still dominated his profession. Truly a joy to watch over these many years.

15) Who's missing? Sean McVay (Peter Schrager of NFL Network reported that McVay just lost track of time, which is hilarious considering the coverage of his memory), Pete Carroll, Sean Payton, Bruce Arians, Adam Gase and Mike Tomlin.

Bill Belichick surprises everyone by showing up for annual NFL coaches photo, six coaches missing
I heard McVay was chattin’ it up when he realized he was late. He apparently could be seen jammin’ down the hallways after showing off some really nice bend in getting around his stand back coach. Word in the coaches circle is that as he was turning the corner in time to make it to the shoot, Tomlin stuck his leg out from a bush and tripped his ass.

I heard McVay was chattin’ it up when he realized he was late. He apparently could be seen jammin’ down the hallways after showing off some really nice bend in getting around his stand back coach. Word in the coaches circle is that as he was turning the corner in time to make it to the shoot, Tomlin stuck his leg out from a bush and tripped his ass.

Despite his critical error and knowing deep down that his chances to make it on time for the photo were now slim to none, McVay was heard confidently telling himself “You’re good, Sean. You’re doing great.”

BB is a coach, who coaches better than anyone.. I believe what he was referring to in the off season was being able to spend time with players throughout the year on specific issues.. I remember from the past when the last CBA was agreed in 2011 to he was upset at the limitations and time frames on "padded" practices..

BB just wants to coach these players and not watch from afar..

You all remember the famous two a day practices that took place in TC, but times were different then as a player was not expected to come to camp in game shape.. always remember the whine of Art Donovan about that practice..

It sounds like he is talking about coaching them up more than work-outs...
They have a shortage of coaches to coach them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes