PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remembering 2004: New England 41 Pittsburgh 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Was this the greatest performance in New England Patriots History?

We went into an opposing opponents home turf (where they hadn't lost in two years) in the afc championship game(in hindsight dynasty implications on the line for both teams) and dominated a team who coming into the game was 17-1 (record wise the best football team New England ever defeated). Our offense put up 34 out of 41 points against statistically a top 5 defense of the entire decade. Tom Brady arguably played the best game of his professional career. His deep ball was never better and he connected deep to branch in stride on multiple occasions. He played with a 103 fever the night before. this game to this day still gives me goosebumps. An all time performance.

If you ever read the steelers boards, they will never give us any credit for this victory. In fact, they constantly mock belittle trash our team with a disgusting lack of respect. Out of all fan bases, they hate us the most. They also talk the most trash about our team. It's personal when we play them this year, and tom knows that because crazy physco tom always brings his best vs the steelers. I hope steelers fans are reading my post. I will be attending the New England Pittsburgh game this year, bring it on steelers.

My two favorite Patriots games of all-time are this ^ and the Seahawks SB. Really hard to decide between the two.

Steelers fans officially went off the deep end when Bill Cowher laughed about Spygate.

The '04 playoffs IMO was the most impressive stretch of football I've seen in our history. Absolutely crushed 2 great AFC teams and the only SB that didn't give me a heart attack.

Funny thing is we were 3 point favorites (just checked and was shocked, could've sworn we were underdogs). If I remember correctly it was closer the week before for Indianapolis?

Anyway, that game was awesome. Still have no idea how Pittsburgh put up 27, but Rodney's pick 6 at the end of the half was a long time coming (similar to Asante in 2006 AGCCG). I remember BB reaming some guy out on the play LOL. Good memories, that end around to seal it and the fans throwing terrible towels on the field made me chuckle ;) .

Deion Branch waving buh bye to the db in pursuit on the end around was awesome...

Early in the game Ted Johnson (I think) stuffed Bettis on a 4th inches that turned the game in Pats favor...

I remember we had about 2 feet of snow on the ground here for that game

Dont forget in 2004 we had a week 3 bye

I have this full game broadcast on DVD... Might have to give it a watch again...

Don't forget Brady had like a 101 fever during this game

Funny thing is we were 3 point favorites (just checked and was shocked, could've sworn we were underdogs). If I remember correctly it was closer the week before for Indianapolis?
It was one point in favour of the Patriots against the Colts. With the Steelers, perhaps it had something to do with the Divisional performances. While the Patriots dismantled 49-TD Manning 20-3 the Steelers struggled mightily against the Jets, winning by a FG in overtime. In fact, the Jets had an opportunity to win it at the end of regulation, but their kicker missed a 43-yarder. And two minutes earlier the same kicker missed a 47-yarder (but Roethlisberger threw an interception directly afterwards to give the Jets another chance).

Absolutely best team in franchise history by far

Agreed, not sure it's by far but I have them as the best. And as for the OP, if that game wasn't the most impressive the game the week before it was.

Was this the greatest performance in New England Patriots History?

It's funny that you started this thread, I just threw on this game other day and watched it in its entirety. What made this even sweeter was we didn't have our regulars during first meeting on Halloween they won and Steelers were booking reservations for SB before playing us in AFCCG. Watching Branch take end around TD to seal it and waving good bye to Pitt Fans waving a towel, Classic!

Deion Branch waving buh bye to the db in pursuit on the end around was awesome...

Early in the game Ted Johnson (I think) stuffed Bettis on a 4th inches that turned the game in Pats favor...

I remember we had about 2 feet of snow on the ground here for that game

And he taunted the stiggler fans waiving their terrible towels. That team was on fire that game. I actually was in Philly at the time and the kept doing a split screen showing the celebration in Philly and the AFCGC. Drove me nuts.

Lots of Gems......

Scoring

Quarter Time Tm Detail NWE PIT

11:20 Patriots Adam Vinatieri 48 yard field goal 3 0
6:49 Patriots Deion Branch 60 yard pass from Tom Brady (Adam Vinatieri kick) 10 0
1:22 Steelers Jeff Reed 43 yard field goal 10 3
2 7:08 Patriots David Givens 9 yard pass from Tom Brady (Adam Vinatieri kick) 17 3
2:14 Patriots Rodney Harrison 87 yard interception return (Adam Vinatieri kick) 24 3
10:54 Steelers Jerome Bettis 5 yard rush (Jeff Reed kick) 24 10
7:27 Patriots Corey Dillon 25 yard rush (Adam Vinatieri kick) 31 10
2:35 Steelers Hines Ward 30 yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick) 31 17
4 13:29 Steelers Jeff Reed 20 yard field goal 31 20
8:03 Patriots Adam Vinatieri 31 yard field goal 34 20
2:23 Patriots Deion Branch 23 yard rush (Adam Vinatieri kick) 41 20
0:52 Steelers Plaxico Burress 7 yard pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick) 41 27

And he taunted the stiggler fans waiving their terrible towels. That team was on fire that game. I actually was in Philly at the time and the kept doing a split screen showing the celebration in Philly and the AFCGC. Drove me nuts.

And right after a Steeler turnover on Pat's 1st play Dillon takes it 25 yds for a TD and guns football in to Steeler's logo on wall. It must have so gratifying for him never making playoffs in his career in Cincy and playing Pitt twice a year.

I got stranded on the Cape, I went down to watch this game with my Dad. They got like two feet of snow! I remember opening the sliding glass door the next morning after about ten beers, the drift was to the top of the door! LOL, didn't mind shoveling out the next day one bit!! Great memories man, such an amazing game. Nobody picked the Pats in that game.

Here is the full game:

I have this full game broadcast on DVD... Might have to give it a watch again...

Don't forget Brady had like a 101 fever during this game
Same. I'm one of the lucky few who managed to get the top 10 games in Pats history DVD in like 2008 before it suddenly got pulled from shelves for unexplained reasons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes