PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remembering 2004: New England 41 Pittsburgh 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the full game:

Same. I'm one of the lucky few who managed to get the top 10 games in Pats history DVD in like 2008 before it suddenly got pulled from shelves for unexplained reasons.

Yeah... Thanks a lot pal. :D

upload_2016-9-27_22-43-50.png

I watched the game in a bar in Miami called The Playwright. The bar was filled with Steeler fans when we got there and they were already in a highly lubricated state well before kickoff.

Near the end of the first half, I headed to the men's room and found myself standing next to a Steeler fan. Unsteady on his feet, he looked at my Patriots hat and pullover, righted himself for an instant and then gurgled "You guys are kicking our asses." I just nodded and moved on.

On the way back to our hotel after the game, Mrs. Zeus and I picked up a huge bag of fast food at Burger King and a bottle of Moet at CVS (I kid you not) and celebrated watching the highlights over and over again back in our room.

On the way back to our hotel after the game, Mrs. Zeus and I picked up a huge bag of fast food at Burger King and a bottle of Moet at CVS (I kid you not) and celebrated watching the highlights over and over again back in our room.

Gotta love the state of Florida ;)

It was one point in favour of the Patriots against the Colts. With the Steelers, perhaps it had something to do with the Divisional performances. While the Patriots dismantled 49-TD Manning 20-3 the Steelers struggled mightily against the Jets, winning by a FG in overtime. In fact, the Jets had an opportunity to win it at the end of regulation, but their kicker missed a 43-yarder. And two minutes earlier the same kicker missed a 47-yarder (but Roethlisberger threw an interception directly afterwards to give the Jets another chance).

Thank you for posting this. One other fact that gets overlooked from the Steelers postseason performance that year is that, while Pittsburgh was idle with a bye week, the Jets were traveling to Oakland for the wildcard game and then back to face the Steelers. On paper, Pittsburgh had all the advantages: playing at home, after a bye, their opponent had to travel the week before, riding a 15 game winning streak, and they had defeated the opponent convincingly in the regular season meeting. Even though the Steelers were extremely lucky to beat the Jets (As you pointed out, NY missed 2 FGs in the final minutes of regulation), the storyline was the same for the following week, minus the bye and additional travel.

When Steelers fans and even players discuss the loss to the Patriots, they ignore their team's struggles the week before. Instead of assuming some kind of chicanery took place with the Patriots, the OT win against the Jets should have been a sign that the Steelers had peaked during the regular season and were not playing as well in the playoffs. It was also a sign that the long season had worn on Roethlisberger, then a rookie, and opposing defenses had a better read on him when they faced him a second time.

If you look at point differential based metrics the Steelers actually weren't in the top category in 2004. They were fifth in point differential behind the Patriots, Colts, Chargers and Eagles. If you consider Pro-Football-Reference's SRS metric (point differential plus strength of schedule) they improve to fourth due to the Eagles dropping like a stone with their schedule:

1) Patriots 12.8
2) Colts 11.4
3) Chargers 9.1
4) Steelers 9.0

Of course you have to respect a 15-1 team playing at home. But advanced metrics say that despite having the best record in 2004 the Steelers weren't the best team in the regular season. The Patriots were and it showed in the playoffs. Also, the Patriots should've gone 15-1 too, but had that puzzling loss down in Miami to the 2-11 Dolphins. They were up by 11 with four minutes left in the game but allowed A.J. Feely to beat them (also didn't help that Brady threw an INT at the own 20).

Also, the Patriots should've gone 15-1 too, but had that puzzling loss down in Miami to the 2-11 Dolphins. They were up by 11 with four minutes left in the game but allowed A.J. Feely to beat them (also didn't help that Brady threw an INT at the own 20).

I've seen Brady throw some lame ducks at times that make us all scratch our heads. The game around Xmas time against the Dolphins in '04 was definitely one of those times. Luckily for us, he got his mojo back and led the team to one of the greatest postseason runs of all time. Just look at the competition in that postseason: Colts, Steelers, Eagles. Incredible. They beat both conferences #1 seeds as well as Manning and his insane offense.

Just look at the competition in that postseason: Colts, Steelers, Eagles. Incredible. They beat both conferences #1 seeds as well as Manning and his insane offense.
That 2004 team was incredibly balanced. The defence was very good, despite missing Ty Law after the first Steelers game, the run game was incredible and then you had Brady through the air. They could beat you in so many ways. Against the Colts it was defence plus ball control with Dillon just pounding the ball (ran for 144 yards, same number as Brady passed for). Against the Steelers it was Brady throwing the ball over the Steelers heads (plus the D forcing four turnovers, although the Bettis fumble was on a stopped fourth down). And in the Super Bowl it was a bit of everything.

That 2004 team was incredibly balanced. The defence was very good, despite missing Ty Law after the first Steelers game, the run game was incredible and then you had Brady through the air. They could beat you in so many ways. Against the Colts it was defence plus ball control with Dillon just pounding the ball (ran for 144 yards, same number as Brady passed for). Against the Steelers it was Brady throwing the ball over the Steelers heads (plus the D forcing four turnovers, although the Bettis fumble was on a stopped fourth down). And in the Super Bowl it was a bit of everything.

Both of those 2003 and 2004 teams were very well balanced, although I'd probably pick the 2004 defense overall, even with the crazy 2003 pass defense.

Here is the full game:

Same. I'm one of the lucky few who managed to get the top 10 games in Pats history DVD in like 2008 before it suddenly got pulled from shelves for unexplained reasons.

Very Cool! I still have my VHS (Remember Those) Pats vs jets games With Grogan late 70's & 80s. Glad to say ALL beat downs, and I was at a few of those too.

Let's not forget the 2013 game where we scored the most points against the defense in Steelers history. 55-31

These two games are my favorites against the Steelers.

Thankfully, I have the 3 Games To Glory DVD which contains most, if not all, plays from the Steelers 2004 playoff game.

I've seen Brady throw some lame ducks at times that make us all scratch our heads. The game around Xmas time against the Dolphins in '04 was definitely one of those times. Luckily for us, he got his mojo back and led the team to one of the greatest postseason runs of all time. Just look at the competition in that postseason: Colts, Steelers, Eagles. Incredible. They beat both conferences #1 seeds as well as Manning and his insane offense.

Seems to frequently happen when we play @Miami and @Broncos. However, I thought he played a great game in the 30-24 loss @Denver given the circumstances. I've recently noticed that Tom's play does seem to slightly deteriorate during the final stretch of the regular season but he usually recovers when it matters most (playoffs). I guess my standards are very high when it comes to him or it might be that the OL has been pretty poor for the past couple of years. I agree that the team from 03-08 was probably the greatest NFL team of all time. I will always be bitter about the 07 AFFC loss to the Colts after the pats were up 21-3. The Bears would have been a cakewalk. That team definitely should have won at least two more SB's.

Last edited:
Seems to frequently happen when we play @Miami and @Broncos. However, I thought he played a great game in the 30-24 loss @Denver given the circumstances. I've recently noticed that Tom's play does seem to slightly deteriorate during the final stretch of the regular season but he usually recovers when it matters most (playoffs). I guess my standards are very high when it comes to him or it might be that the OL has been pretty poor for the past couple of years. I agree that the team from 03-08 was probably the greatest NFL team of all time. I will always be bitter about the 07 AFFC loss to the Colts after the pats were up 21-3. The Bears would have been a cakewalk. That team definitely should have won at least two more SB's.

I dont know what bothers me more 2006 AFCCG or SB42

This was a VERY impressive game, but I actually find their game from a week prior to this (20-3 win vs. Colts) to be more impressive.

That year Peyton Manning threw a 'then record' 49 TD passes.

The Colts became the first team in league history to have 3 receivers post at least 1,000 yard and 10 TDs (Harrison, Wayne, Stokely).

Who would be covering these three prolific receivers? That's right.......Second Year man Asante Samuel, Undrafted Rookie Randall Gay, and wide receiver Troy Brown

Oh, and hte Pats defense also didn't have Ty Law or Richard Seymour.

.....and they got blown out right? Nope, they shut them down and won 20-3. I still consider that to be aboslutely amazing.

This was a VERY impressive game, but I actually find their game from a week prior to this (20-3 win vs. Colts) to be more impressive.

That year Peyton Manning threw a 'then record' 49 TD passes.

The Colts became the first team in league history to have 3 receivers post at least 1,000 yard and 10 TDs (Harrison, Wayne, Stokely).

Who would be covering these three prolific receivers? That's right.......Second Year man Asante Samuel, Undrafted Rookie Randall Gay, and wide receiver Troy Brown

Oh, and hte Pats defense also didn't have Ty Law or Richard Seymour.

.....and they got blown out right? Nope, they shut them down and won 20-3. I still consider that to be aboslutely amazing.
True but there was something more satisfying about going into Pittsburgh and crushing their souls for the second time.

If you ever read the steelers boards, they will never give us any credit for this victory. In fact, they constantly mock belittle trash our team with a disgusting lack of respect.

Yeah, on 95 this morning I saw an idiot Steelers fan driving around with an "Impeach Belichick" bumper sticker on his car.

What a tool!

Was this the greatest performance in New England Patriots History?

We went into an opposing opponents home turf (where they hadn't lost in two years) in the afc championship game(in hindsight dynasty implications on the line for both teams) and dominated a team who coming into the game was 17-1 (record wise the best football team New England ever defeated). Our offense put up 34 out of 41 points against statistically a top 5 defense of the entire decade. Tom Brady arguably played the best game of his professional career. His deep ball was never better and he connected deep to branch in stride on multiple occasions. He played with a 103 fever the night before. this game to this day still gives me goosebumps. An all time performance.

If you ever read the steelers boards, they will never give us any credit for this victory. In fact, they constantly mock belittle trash our team with a disgusting lack of respect. Out of all fan bases, they hate us the most. They also talk the most trash about our team. It's personal when we play them this year, and tom knows that because crazy physco tom always brings his best vs the steelers. I hope steelers fans are reading my post. I will be attending the New England Pittsburgh game this year, bring it on steelers.

I live in Pittsburgh.

I can back up this guy's statements 100%. The New England Patriots are the most hated franchise here, by FAR.

Which is why I make sure that I bring my Patriot's coffee mug in every morning, and every Friday (we have a jersey day), I rock the white TB12 and laugh at everyone.

True but there was something more satisfying about going into Pittsburgh and crushing their souls for the second time.

More satisfying than ending Peyton Manning's season? Being 0-5 in the playoffs against the Mannings since this game has made me cherish this game THAT much more.

But I get it, we're debating whether it's better to have a million dollars in twenties or tens........they are both awesome. Definitely the greatest two game stretch the team has ever played.

Win one playoff game by holding the most prolific offense to three points.

Win the next week by scoring 41 points on the road against the league's best defense.

I watched it happen and even I still don't believe it.

This game gives me chills still to this day. I remember watching the NFL Films highlights of this, and them keying in on Willie McGinnest on the sidelines, and him saying "To be the Champs, you have to beat the champs". I loved that. Also love the Steelers radio guys saying before the game, that the Pats basically want no part of the Steelers.

Man, 2001-2004 was such a great time. To beat the Steelers twice in 3 years in the AFCCG was so awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes