PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss with some Special Teams' notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...lfork_has_right_stuff_to_stop_the_run/?page=2

Belichick said the last two days were designed to focus on specific areas the team would like to improve, and one focus has been kickoff returns. The Patriots rank 18th in yards per kickoff return (22.2). ``We want our upfront line players to block better, our wedge players to be more aggressive, and the runners to run harder," said linebacker Don Davis, who plays on the front line . . . Linebacker Mike Vrabel said the Patriots' strength has been their ability to win games despite not playing to their best. ``Knowing how to win," he said, ``has been a key to our [4-1] start." . . . Belichick said the signing of punter Danny Baugher to the practice squad was to add depth at a position in which the Patriots only had one player (Josh Miller) suited up at training camp. Miller enters the bye week ranked eighth in the NFL in net punting (39.4) and 26th in average distance (43.4) . . . Kicker Stephen Gostkowski's seven touchbacks rank third in the NFL, behind Cleveland's Phil Dawson (9) and St. Louis's Jeff Wilkins (8). Gostkowski's strong kickoffs have helped the Patriots rank fifth in opponents' average drive start -- the 22.1-yard line . . . Kevin Faulk leads the NFL in punt-return average (13.5) . . . The Patriots' punt coverage team tops the league, allowing just 3.4 yards per return . . . The Patriots are 6 for 8 on fourth-down plays, with their eight plays the most of any team.
We now brace for the anti-Faulk whine-a-thon...:bricks:

Box_O_Rocks said:

You know, if Faulk could just get a bionic right arm equipped with Super-Grip attatched I think he might be the ultimate football player.

He's a big play guy. He either makes them for you, or lets the other guys make them. It's a give or take with him. He's so clutch and such a great reciever that I can never get down on him no matter how many times he fumbles.

The only time I can remember one of his fumbles truly costing us was against Denver in the playoffs. Other times they made things harder, but didn't cost us so dearly.

That said, besides the fumble he's been the best PR I've seen since Troy Brown's 2001 season.

Box_O_Rocks said:
We now brace for the anti-Faulk whine-a-thon...:bricks:
I love Kev but he has got to hold onto the ball. It just kills us. Tiki turned his fumbles around, Faulk should be able to also.

And that doesn't count his huge return against Denver that was nullified by penalties.

No one like KFaulk more than me, but I admit that I get nervous about fumbles whenever he's making a return.

Faulk is like saying "I love my wife - other than the fact that she cheats on me". As good as Faulk is, until he stops fumbling it doesn't really matter. And with Belichick the way he is, I am stunned that he keeps giving him the ball.

I always hold my breath that Faulk doesnt fumble when he gets the ball. However I think it is great that we signed him to a long term deal a year or two ago, whenever it was. He can run, catch and play Special teams, and do it well. Faulk is the ultimate 3rd down converter, you know the ball is going to him when he is next to Brady in the shot gun. He needs to protect the damn ball. He is the most underrated player on the team, if he never fumbled he wouldnt be underrated.

A superior third down performer with a bit of fumble-itis isn't so terrible -- if he failed on the third-down play you were going to lose possession anyway. Other than that, his fumbling has to be a limitation on how he's used. I see him as just being a guy who, while he has upper-body strength far, far superior to mine, hasn't been able to get it quite up to the level needed to keep the ball in his grip when playing against other athletes just as dedicated to weight-room work as himself.

Fencer said:
A superior third down performer with a bit of fumble-itis isn't so terrible -- if he failed on the third-down play you were going to lose possession anyway.
As I say 6,000 times every game - it's OK to punt, don't turn the ball over.

The plays that Faulk makes and the assett he is to this team outways his fumbles many times over in my mind. This guy makes so many big plays and does so much for this team. He is one of the nest receiving backs in the league, and that does not come around often. He is a complete team player and does whatever Belichick and the team asks of him. He is to be appreciated, not ridiculed.

His fumble against Denver in the playoffs was bad but it was a sloppy all around game for the whole team. Old reliables like Tom Brady, Troy Brown, and AV made uncharacteristic mistakes, and I don't think it is fair to single Faulk out in that game.

Fencer said:
A superior third down performer with a bit of fumble-itis isn't so terrible -- if he failed on the third-down play you were going to lose possession anyway. Other than that, his fumbling has to be a limitation on how he's used. I see him as just being a guy who, while he has upper-body strength far, far superior to mine, hasn't been able to get it quite up to the level needed to keep the ball in his grip when playing against other athletes just as dedicated to weight-room work as himself.

If he failed on the third down play without fumbling you could punt the ball 40 yards down field and not give the other team the ball at your 25 yard line.

That being said, I love Faulk, he just has to put a second hand on the ball when he's going through the line or is about to be hit.

Actually, the 13.5 yd avg is a big improvement over Faulk's performance in 2004, the last time he was featured when Troy spent the middle of the season injured. Kevin only had around a 7 yd avg with a long of 9 yds or so then, with many fair catches. Special teams was a problem in general that yr, however.

BelichickFan said:
As I say 6,000 times every game - it's OK to punt, don't turn the ball over.
If I've told you once, I've told you a million times -- stop exaggerating!

Willie55 said:
If he failed on the third down play without fumbling you could punt the ball 40 yards down field and not give the other team the ball at your 25 yard line.

That being said, I love Faulk, he just has to put a second hand on the ball when he's going through the line or is about to be hit.
Yes, but in that scenario his fumbling costs you less than 1 yard per touch -- although my figure is a little bogus in that it assumes a punt would otherwise have been definitely necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes