PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats hosting Leigh Bodden today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baltimore just signed Dominique Foxworth for 4 years/$28M. The DB overspending is continuing. I just hope we can get Bodden for a reasonable deal.

I just found this nuggett..

Re: Chad Johnson Hopes Leigh Bodden Can Play - Sports General - PlayStation.com Forums

"That is a great challenge for me, to be able to go up against him," Johnson said. "Going against certain cornerbacks, you don't play a guy like Bodden each week. You don't always get a Bodden, Champ Bailey or the DeAngelo Halls. You get them every so often."

Pretty good for him to mention Bodden with those names. Later he goes on to say

"Yes, he is one of the best cover corners that I have gone against," Johnson said. "He ranks right up there with Champ (Bailey), DeAngelo (Hall) and Nate Clements because of his ability to cover a small area of the field with no help."

Bodden is definetly making his mark as one of the better corners in the league and when you combine that with Sean Jones being one of the best safetys.....this is one big ass bright light for a team that seems to be lost in the dark.

Valid question. I think because the Browns were hellbent on getting Rogers to be the cog in their 3-4 line, but had already traded away most of their draft picks so had to resort to players.

That is correct. The thinking a year ago was that they had to give up value to get value. It was a wrench for them to let go of Bodden at the time, as they had nothing behind him at CB.

Now, a year later, Bodden has been cut and Rogers wants out of Cleveland. :)

That is correct. The thinking a year ago was that they had to give up value to get value. It was a wrench for them to let go of Bodden at the time, as they had nothing behind him at CB.

Now, a year later, Bodden has been cut and Rogers wants out of Cleveland. :)

Yeah, I remember initially the Lions wanted more value in draft picks, so Bodden was substituted instead. He wasn't very good for the Lions, but that team was so incredibly atrocious, I can't really blame him. If he returns to anything approaching his Cleveland form, he'd be a steal at a contract below what the current market is paying out for the "top" guys.

You never know. A year in detroit definitely deflated his stats.

I could see him doing a similar deal to Stallworth, where its essentially a one year deal for relatively cheap money so he can show what he has, and an option for another year or two at a lot more money. Most likely (like with Stallworth) it ends up being a 1-year deal.

i was thinking the same exact thing

Bodden used to be considered one of the best CBs before he went to Detroit. Check out the analysis by Football Outsiders.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008

"You've also read a number of comments on Football Outsiders this year about the fall of our former cornerback binky, Leigh Bodden. We used to promote him as perhaps the league's most underrated cornerback; this year, he was one of the worst. Obviously, some of the issue with the Detroit cornerbacks is the overall defensive performance -- there wasn't exactly a lot of pass pressure to help them out -- and we're hopeful Bodden can find his way back to at least league-average under the new regime."

He played very well in Cleveland, and I'm not going to hold sucking in Detroit against anyone. Low risk, moderate-potential move, sounds about right.

Bodden used to be considered one of the best CBs before he went to Detroit. Check out the analysis by Football Outsiders.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008

"You've also read a number of comments on Football Outsiders this year about the fall of our former cornerback binky, Leigh Bodden. We used to promote him as perhaps the league's most underrated cornerback; this year, he was one of the worst. Obviously, some of the issue with the Detroit cornerbacks is the overall defensive performance -- there wasn't exactly a lot of pass pressure to help them out -- and we're hopeful Bodden can find his way back to at least league-average under the new regime."

The problem with judging cornerbacks is that they are so dependant on things outside their control: Pressure on the quarterback from the d-line, and proper safety play.

I hope he don't leave without a contract, I'll be really dissapointed of he gets away.

This would be a great move. This is the type of guy who can come in and be a solid, impact player in our system. Let's get it done today, guys.

Kellen Winslow was just on NFL Network and they asked him now that he's in Tampa which players would you like them to bring in. He said Bodden. Shefter told him Bodden was in New England today and Winslow seemed disappointed. They left with Shefter telling him to have Tampa get a hold of Bodden and Winslow said, trust me, I already have. Seems pretty high on him.

Kellen Winslow was just on NFL Network and they asked him now that he's in Tampa which players would you like them to bring in. He said Bodden. Shefter told him Bodden was in New England today and Winslow seemed disappointed. They left with Shefter telling him to have Tampa get a hold of Bodden and Winslow said, trust me, I already have. Seems pretty high on him.

Given Winslow's past as a malcontent, and the fact that malcontents stick together like glue, that can't be good news for the Pats locker room. (If we sign him) Maybe Detriot canned Bodden, not because of his contract, but because he was a clubhouse cancer?

Given Winslow's past as a malcontent, and the fact that malcontents stick together like glue, that can't be good news for the Pats locker room. (If we sign him) Maybe Detriot canned Bodden, not because of his contract, but because he was a clubhouse cancer?

That....

Or he could have been praising him based on his practicing against him day in and day out.

Either one.

That's a real stretch. If TO starts praising Tom Brady, does that make him a clubhouse cancer? Come on now.

Baltimore just signed Dominique Foxworth for 4 years/$28M. The DB overspending is continuing. I just hope we can get Bodden for a reasonable deal.

Dream on. The most the Patriots have paid a veteran cornerback

the last couple of years is minimum salary for one year.

That's a real stretch. If TO starts praising Tom Brady, does that make him a clubhouse cancer? Come on now.
Well, TO did praise Romo...:blush:

dont let bodden leave without an offer and acceptance!!!!

Any chance you own one of these?

jumptoconclusions.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye