PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats hosting Leigh Bodden today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the way the Pats work. A year ago Bodden was a hot commodity, and was put in the wrong scheme; now he is likely to be a cost-effective option, and will likely be much more effective.

Let someone else sign Jabari Greer at $7-8M/year. Then, after he doesn't work out and gets cut next year as a cap casualty, we can sign him if we can't keep Ellis Hobbs. Same kind of approach.

he is a second tier free agent so yes, its good move...

I think he's underrated .... playing for the Lions will do that to you.

Besides, we need guys who can play the system - not flashy guys interested in taking chances, playing Man2Man and gaining INTs but letting dozens of other passes go by them.

Hey we gotta sign this guy 6'1 and a career high 6 picks in 07 but will he come cheap ?

Hey we gotta sign this guy 6'1 and a career high 6 picks in 07 but will he come cheap ?

He doesn't have to be cheap, his value has to match his cost.

This is great!! He was a beast on the Browns, didnt have a great year with the lions, but who would have a good year with the lions? IN BILL WE TRUST!!!

So far we are the only ones hosting him, for the right price I think he will be a decent signing. Teams right now are willing to shell out a lot of money 7M+ for #2 CBs right now.

Great to hear! Could be the best CB signing in the BB era if we ink him.

The only thing I'd say is if he was so good with Cleveland, why did Romeo trade him?

J D Sal

Great to hear! Could be the best CB signing in the BB era if we ink him.

I was a big fan of the OTIS and Poole signings but Bodden would seem like the better talent but only time can tell if he is better for the Pats.

The only thing I'd say is if he was so good with Cleveland, why did Romeo trade him?
Romeo had no power, Savage traded him. Partly over money but also they got a very good player in Shaun Rogers. Still, Bodden did want fairly big money in Cleveland so I doubt he'd sign here cheap.

Romeo had no power, Savage traded him. Partly over money but also they got a very good player in Shaun Rogers. Still, Bodden did want fairly big money in Cleveland so I doubt he'd sign here cheap.

You never know. A year in detroit definitely deflated his stats.

I could see him doing a similar deal to Stallworth, where its essentially a one year deal for relatively cheap money so he can show what he has, and an option for another year or two at a lot more money. Most likely (like with Stallworth) it ends up being a 1-year deal.

Reiss posted some info on Bodden:

More on Leigh Bodden - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The Patriots are hosting free-agent CB Leigh Bodden today, and after speaking with a scout familiar with Bodden, here are a few nuggets to consider about him:

# 1) Cover-2 style corner. His style of play would fit the Patriots' scheme. It probably helps the Patriots' projection that he played in a similar system while with the Browns, under head coach Romeo Crennel.

# 2) Size is a positive for a player at the position. At 6-foot-1, 193 pounds, Bodden is considered a bigger corner, and thus, he can play on the outside. When looking at the available cornerbacks in the draft, there aren't many that fit this profile, and thus Bodden would fill a need that the Patriots might feel they couldn't fill in the draft.

# 3) Has displayed solid ball skills. One of the things the Lions liked about Bodden when they acquired him in a trade last year was his ballhawking. He had a career-high six interceptions in the 2007 season. Bodden had just one last season.

# 4) Why will he be on his third team in three years? That is the question that interested teams figure to ask, because good corners are hard to come by. Bodden struggled in Detroit last season, and the Lions didn't pick up a sizeable bonus to retain him this offseason. The Browns traded him to the Lions at this time last season in a deal for NT Shaun Rogers.

I'm sure BB could chat with Romeo if he had the questions Reiss posted, though I'm betting our new Director of Pro Scouting has a pretty solid profile on the situation.

Nothing special with Bodden. But this defense doesn't need anything special at the CB spot. As long as they don't overpay him ......

Think of OTIS Smith. Older, experienced, not very fast but more than adequate CB starter in a SB run with a fine D.

He doesn't have to be cheap, his value has to match his cost.

Exactly. I don't expect him to sign for peanuts. Honestly, if the Patriots pay this guy $4 million a year, I will not blink an eye.

Think of OTIS Smith. Older, experienced, not very fast but more than adequate CB starter in a SB run with a fine D.

That might be an apt comparison were it not for the fact that Bodden is 27 years old.

Chad Johnson is on record saying he is the best corner he would face when he was on the Browns.

Baltimore just signed Dominique Foxworth for 4 years/$28M. The DB overspending is continuing. I just hope we can get Bodden for a reasonable deal.

J D Sal

Valid question. I think because the Browns were hellbent on getting Rogers to be the cog in their 3-4 line, but had already traded away most of their draft picks so had to resort to players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back